True Dota 2 - Why is midas so popular on Enigma?


Why is midas so popular on Enigma?

Posted: 20 Jun 2017 05:03 AM PDT

An early bkb/blink/mek can be justified since Enigma wants to threaten the enemy with black hole.

Whenever I go midas, I just feel like impactless afk farmer for 30 min.

Edit: Currently 4 most picked item on Enigma according to dotabuff discounting tp scroll,mana boots and soul ring (pick rate more than mek/greaves)

Top 5 core items on Enigma:

Blink > Bkb > Aghs > Midas > Greaves > Refresher > Octarine.

submitted by /u/insightfulFucks
[link] [comments]

Spectre ult and to a lesser extent PL breaks the game completly for 2 seconds - An important amount of time in dota for casting spells etc, any ideas?

Posted: 20 Jun 2017 11:15 AM PDT

Title.

Been occurring since 7.00 thereabouts but since I only find years old topics about this exact issue (https://www.google.pt/search?q=spectre+ult+lag&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&ei=omRJWcizHO-s8weG5ZmYDQ) I guess the problem is on my end. Makes the game completely unplayable if spectre is on either side so if anyone has tips I appreciate it.

  • Xbox DVR is off
  • Win10
  • RX480
  • i5 3570K
  • 16GB DDR5
  • 1920x1080 Borderless (can't use fullscreen because it disables 144hz for some reason - bizarre)
submitted by /u/Minrathous
[link] [comments]

A Scrub’s Guide to Gaining MMR with Slark [3k, 70%+ winrate]

Posted: 19 Jun 2017 09:09 PM PDT

A Scrub's Guide to Gaining MMR with Slark:

Hey everybody, I've been having a lot of success lately playing Slark, so I thought I'd share my secrets with y'all and hopefully somebody finds it useful.

 

This guide covers the following: The Slark game plan, laning, items, skill build, fighting, farming and getting pickoffs. It is targeted at players of equal or lesser skill than myself. I have demonstrated that it works effectively at 3k mmr. I don't expect it will work well at higher mmrs (since this is not the playstyle you see pros going for), however IMO it lays out the groundwork for being able to play properly at higher skill brackets, since you will understand farming efficiently, and how to take teamfights.

 

Intro

I'm currently sitting at 3k mmr. I originally calibrated to 0.7k and after 2000 hours have climbed to where I am. A couple of months ago I hit a wall, couldn't win games consistently at all. So I went ahead and got some coaching from a 6.8k player, focusing on Slark. He gave me a tonne of pointers, and after practicing, I'm sitting on a 72% winrate this month. You can see my recent games here: https://www.dotabuff.com/players/231429278/matches?date=month&hero=slark, I should also mention that I went over the replays for lot of those losses and, in retrospect, I should have been able to carry them if I just followed the game plan my coach set out. The losses were due to me making poor decisions that I knew in advance were poor. Sure it's easy to blame my team (if you click on those games, you'll see my team performed very poorly in almost all of them), but that isn't the attitude you should take to win. It's important to note that many of these games where I won, I very much carried the team. These wins aren't just flukes. Case in point: https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/3245902309 where three of my teammates collectively fed 10-56. And I wasn't exactly being fed all game either, we were down tonnes of kills and I was something like 4-2 @25:00. My enemies didn't misplay, I just outplayed them B).

In this guide, I do cover basic item builds/skill builds, but that isn't the focus. The main point of this guide is to outline the Slark Game Plan which, if you follow to the letter, should net you a lot of wins.

 

Audience

This guide is targeted at sub 4k players. I think what I have to say will be helpful for anybody under 4k. I don't think this guide will be helpful for 5k+ players, since it mostly focuses on the macro decisions that have a major impact on your game, and 5k player should already understand all that far better than me.

 

Notes

I suspect a lot of people will disagree with some of what I say here. Just keep in mind:

  • I have the winrate to show it works

  • What I'm saying is basically what a 6.8k player told me

So without further ado, my guide to Slark:

 


 

Macro game plan

As Slark, it's important to know exactly what you should be doing at every stage of the game. It's actually very simple. You farm until level 16, then you kill everybody (but only in the right order). Why? Well Slark is not a strong hero. You have below average stats, you have three abilities which help you escape, but don't do a whole lot of damage, you don't build damage items. Slark is just plain weak. What makes you strong is essence stacks. You kill the support in the back, get a few essence stacks and then you go head to head with the carry (and win). You never manfight a carry without some essence stacks up. So that's why you wait for level 16. The essence duration goes from 60 seconds to 120 seconds. This means that a single fight can give you +120 agility for the next 2 minutes. That's enough to run down mid and break their high ground, and if they try and fight, they just die.

So the plan is this: Get everything you can out of lane. Once the laning stage ends, focus super duper hard on farming as fast and efficiently as you can. Remember, always farm the lane when possible. You only ever farm jungle if the lane is too dangerous, or the lane is pushed too far out. Focus really hard on split pushing, especially when your team is fighting. Only ever join a fight before lvl16 if you're 100% sure you can get a kill, and won't die. It's all about maximising your farm.

 

Case Scenario:

Let's say your team takes a fight at mid t1 @15:00. You have two options, farm/split push, or join the fight. What are the outcomes of each option?

  • Farm: You get solo xp, heaps of farm, and a tonne of tower dmg (possibly even tower gold). Then the enemy jungle is opened up to farm and you can safely farm out your own jungle with the space you created. BEST CASE: Your team ALSO wins the fight and takes another tower. WORST CASE: You just pulled ahead of the enemies, got tower gold for your team, created space, and maybe lose a tower of your own.

  • Fight: You get xp split between 5 heroes (BAD), get little farm (even if you get a kill, that's about equal to 1 wave of farm). BEST CASE: You win the fight and get a tower, but get little farm. WORST CASE: You lose the fight, die, lose a tower too, lose gold, lose gaem.

Okay so you've farmed until level 16, now what? Well if you don't have any essence stacks, you have one job. Prey on out-of-position enemies, especially supports. Once you get some essence stacks off of the supports, you're ready to manfight their cores. Once you win the fight, go take objectives. Try and snowball off your essence stacks and keep them up. If you have 10 essence stacks, look for solo pickoffs and turn that into 35. Keep your essence stacks up.

 

Starting items

I have 2 starting builds.

  1. 2 slippers of agi, 4 x Tango, 1 x Salve, [optional gg branch]

  2. 8 x Tangos, 1 x Salve, Quelling Blade, gg branch

Most of the time you go for the first one. Make sure you upgrade the slippers to PMS. You go for it against any hero that's going to be right clicking you. However if you're against a hero like Dark Seer or Timbersaw, where the lane will often push under your tower and you're almost never gonna take right click damage, go for the second one.

Don't be afraid to fly out regen if you're getting low and you're still a long way off level 6.

 

Core Items

  • Ring of Aquilla (stats + mana regen = maximum farming)

  • Power treads (make sure to tread switch)

  • Shadowblade

  • Echo Sabre (more mana regen+double hit = even more maximum farming

It's a good idea to go for echo before SB since it increases your farming. But I'll normally go for SB first since you can easily get pickoffs with it. Remember that you still focus on farming, but SB let's you get free kills which you should never give up.

 

Optional early items

  • Raindrops. Actually I get these virtually every game. The mana regen is great, and they can save your life

  • Orb of Venom. Get this if you have strong supports and can play aggressive in lane

  • Iron talon. Get this if you had a bad lane and have to catch up in jungle for farm

  • Midas. Get this if you're freefarming in lane. Always get it as early as possible (generally brown boots straight into midas). Don't get this if you think your teammates will feed all game though. Then it's better to get SB+Echo as early as possible so you can have a bigger impact.

 

Skill build

You will always skill either Pounce or Essence first, normally pounce. Get essence if you're solo against a melee offlaner. Get pounce if you have kill potential with your support, or if you're at risk of dying. Next max pact, then once pact is lvl 4, max pounce, then max essence. However there is once unique case where you should change the build, and that's where you're solo against a melee offlaner who's much stronger than you (Timber, LC, BB etc). You can max Essence. Why? Well the instant you hit level 7, they cannot possibly lane against you. You literally just hit them a few times, lose all your HP (since you're much weaker than them), go hide in the trees and regen. Then come back and hit them a few more times. The result is that they end up -10 all stats, and you have +30 agi, which is absolutely insane 10 minutes in. Easy kills. This build is super situational though and I rarely go for it because you can't farm jungle or push waves without pact. It let's you freefarm the lane against a stronger enemy but that's all.

 

Talents

  • Lifesteal is better than damage generally

  • Always get +15 agi

  • Most of the time go for CD Reduction. It synergises amazingly with every item/ability you have.

  • Almost always get +12 all stats. I only get +3 second leash if I'm against some super tanky heroes who I can infinitely steal essence from (Abaddon for example).

 

Extension items

Items can do two things for Slark. Mitigate your weaknesses or accentuate your strengths. Some items do a combination of both.

  • Basher is the most common pick up. It allows for solo kills on heroes that you couldn't otherwise kill. Accentuates your strengths (more pickoff potential)

  • Skadi, Butterfly, Linkins: These all mitigate weaknesses. Skadi for magical dmg, butterfly for physical dmg, linkins for single target disables

  • Silver Edge: Only (but always) get this early against certain heroes. PA, Timber, BB, AXE. Heroes with strong passives and massive damage output. You will always upgrade to it later, but it is a situational item, don't rush it early. It doesn't really do much for you apart from the break active. Sure the CD reduction is nice, the stats are good (but not cost efficient). Mitigates weaknesses (Slark is weak against all those heroes).

  • BKB: Get this against lots of lockdown and magical damage. Mitigates weaknesses

  • Gem: This can be amazing if you're ahead, but they're sentrying up like crazy. It lets you get all the dewards which in turn lets you continue to get kills and pickoffs without dying. Also get it against lots of invis heroes. Accentuates strengths and mitigates weaknesses

  • MKB: I don't pick this up too often, it's situational. Mitigates weaknesses (evasion)

  • MOOOON Shard: My Personal favourite item. Only get this if you're stomping far ahead. It lets you wrack up insane amounts of essence really easily and snowballs you far far ahead. Really fun item. Just don't build it every game. Accentuates strengths x100%$

  • Bloodthorn: A really good pickup against certain heroes (I'm looking at you necro). Mitigates weaknesses and accentuates strengths.

  • Abyssal: You will eventually upgrade your basher to this of course, but it's also a good idea to get it earlier against some hard-to-control cores. I find it effective against heroes like Lifestealer where you can lock them down. You can also get it to tank up a bit when you don't want to invest in a Skadi.

  • Diffusal: Not the greatest item, but you might need it against ghost scepters. Once I combed Diffusal with Bloodthorn to counter the enemy QoPs linkins. Ended up winning the game. Mitigates weaknesses.

 

Team fighting as Slark

I've said it already and I'm gonna say it again. You fight after level 16. With that in mind, here's how to fight as Slark:

  • Try and get a pickoff before the fight even starts if possible. This gives you an essence shift advantage as well as puts the enemies 1 man down.

  • Always go straight for the squishy supports. Completely ignore their cores

  • When you're getting low, pounce out of the fight and heal up with your ult passive. Then reengage when stronker

  • Take on the cores once you have essence stacks up

  • Avoid sentries. It's often obvious where they'll be (for example, if your high ground is being pushed, there will probably be on in front of the tower). Instead, you can run around the side and come in from the back. This works well since that's where the supports will sit thinking it's safe. Kill them, not just the supports, but the women and children too. Kill them all

  • Once you win the fight, make sure you take objectives with your essence stacks.

  • Watch out for your threats. Your biggest threats are unpurgeable disables. Axe call, LC duel, Doom ult etc.

  • If you're invis looking to get to the backlines, keep an eye on your ult passive. If it disappears, instantly pact and pounce out.

 

Farming

Knowing how to farm efficiently and safely is of upmost importantance.

  • In lane, you really have to master creep equilibrium. Go watch BSJ Coaching videos (here's a good one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrbn0v34qk4) on it. He explains it far better than I could here. Also learn to last hit under tower. You should never miss any last hits that you otherwise could have got.

  • Once the laning stage is coming to a close, it's time to really start farming. You stay in lane if safe. Pact out every wave (hit ranged creep once, hit enemy creep being attacked once, pact will secure 2 last hits, get the other two). Then you have 2 options, attack the enemy tower, or stack/farm jungle camps until the next wave.

    • Attack the enemy tower if all enemies are showing elsewhere on the map (eg fighting, pushing or defending). You must try and have an impact on your game where possible. Taking the enemy tower as early as possible will open up space to farm and give gold to your entire team. This is generally the preferred option
    • If an enemy shows up to defend, go stack (and also pull if possible) the large camp near the lane. Farm that camp and the small camp between waves. Always to back to the lane to farm it where possible. Get bounty runes too where possible.

This is just about the most efficient farming pattern possible at this stage of the game. You should stick to it for as long as you can

  • Now there are two things that can happen, either the enemy tower falls (by you), or they come to your lane and push your tower.

    • Generally if they come to my lane, I'll just TP to the enemy safelane and do the exact same farming pattern. You should be able to pressure most enemy carries out of their own lane at this stage. If this is unsafe, you can try and do the same for mid, or otherwise just jungle safely. If you jungle, constantly keep an eye on the lanes and when one opens up, go farm it
    • If the enemy tower falls, you have try and sustain the same farming pattern. This is more dangerous since you'll be near the enemy offlane shrine (they can TP in), but you can still get good farm (as well as the enemy bounty runes). Do this if the enemies are showing on the map. Otherwise just jungle or go to another lane and farm that.

Most importantly ignore your teammates, especially their advice! If they're telling you to stop farming and come fight and it's 15 minutes in, they are almost certainly wrong (for reasons I've outlined above). In fact, it's probably best to mute them. They will likely flame you and continue to make bad calls. You don't need to sort of negativity in your game. Just mute them. Focus 100% on your own game. What I'm telling you here is how to play Slark. Games aren't carried by doing some super duper next level plays, they're carried by playing your role so well that you end up carrying no matter how bad your teammates play. If your teammates are all feeding, you don't carry them by joining bad fight, you carry them by farming efficiently, split pushing well, getting every last hit in lane, and taking good fights. You carry them by playing your role well, the way it's meant to be played [/rant].

  • It's important to farm safely. This can be difficult without good ward vision. The most important part about farming safely is to create your own space. You do this by farming lanes. If the entire map is black and all the lanes are pushed in, there's no possible way to know where the enemies are. But if you push a lane out, it forces enemies to respond which in turn gives you information about their positioning which lets you farm safely. You must constantly keep track of where your threats are and play around them. Also abuse what ward vision you do have, use it to push lanes out safely which forces a response.

  • If you must farm a lane with absolutely no information about the enemies positioning, you do this: Run up to the wave, pact, bring the ranged creep down and try and bring all the melee creeps down. Pact will kill them and you instantly pounce out. This will prevent any initiation. Of course, this works against Lion, Nyx etc, it doesn't work against Axe, LC, or Doom. So be careful against those heroes.

  • The scariest thing is if you push a lane all the way out and it's near the enemy tower and nobody is farming it. Pushing out a wave forces a response, if nobody is responding to it, you're likely being smoke ganked. Possibly they're doing Roshan. Most likely, the safest place to farm is the enemy jungle at this stage. That's the least likely place they're going to gank. Make sure you keep an eye on your ult passive to know if they know where you are.

 

Pickoffs

Early Game: Getting pickoffs is important on Slark. You should take free kills wherever possible. However you should analyse the risk/reward of going for kills. Free kills are great, but if you die, it wasn't worth it. It would have been better to farm. So pre Shadowblade, be careful going for kills. Before going in, think to yourself, "how can this go wrong?". Perhaps you're in lane against a Dark Seer and your Skywrath rotates. You know you can kill the DS easily. But what can go wrong? Well what if they have a QoP and an Axe. If Queen of Pain shows up, you're going to die going for that kill. Just before you go in, glance at the minimap and make sure QoP is still mid. If you don't know where she is, be careful going for the kill. What about Axe? Well if it's @11:00, Axe will likely have blink, so if he isn't showing on the map, be careful again.

 

Post Shadowblade - Pre Level 16:

Pickoffs are much easier to get post SB. Just remember, you get pickoffs for the gold and xp, as well as slowing down enemy item progressions. That's the only reason. Don't lose farm/xp and waste time looking for pickoffs.

On the other hand, if the enemy has heroes that are super easy to solo kill (Sky, AA, Lion), don't be afraid to even TP in for the pickoff if they're out of position. One thing I've learnt as a University student is always take free stuff. If there's a free kill, take it.

When your team takes fights, keep an eye on what's happening. If you see a good opportunity to get kills at little risk, it might be worth TPing in. Just remember, it's all about maximising your own game. Don't TP back to defend a tower, don't TP just because you want your team to win the fight. TP because you know you will get a lot out of it.

Post Level 16

Now is your time to shine. Look for pickoffs wherever possible. Join every fight as long as it isn't a really bad fight. Choose your key enemy targets (the easiest ones to kill), and kill them whenever you possibly can. Especially snowball off your essence stacks for more and more pickoffs.

 

Misc

  • Slark is limited mostly by his cooldowns. He is very good at jumping out of a fight, regening, then reengaging once his abilities come off cooldown.

  • Slark is great at punishing uncoordinated lineups. At my mmr, he can be very effective even against a team full of counters.

 

Summary

Slark is weak before level 16. You should simply maximise your farm until then. Once you hit 16, you want to be as strong as possible.

The main thing with Slark is playing around your essence stacks. You want to kill the supports and get stacks, then go head to head with the enemy cores.

It's important to play around your counters. Know what and where your threats are and simply don't get close to them. Sentries are what I'd classify as a counter. You play around them exactly the same way you play around an LC. Just don't go there.

Hopefully this has been helpful for somebody out there :) Slark is a blast to play when he isn't banned. Again, what I'm saying here is demonstrated to work (at least at 3k), so if you're under 4k, I think this is a very viable way to gain your MMRz.

Until next time!

Edit: Spelling/formatting

 

tl;dr Make farming your priority. Take pickoffs/free kills where available, but don't try to bail out your teammates when they make mistakes. Take good fights on your own terms. Farm aggressively, pressuring enemy towers to create space for your team. Avoid bad engagements. Simply play your game so well that you can't help but carry your teammates no matter how bad they might feed.

submitted by /u/user0fdoom
[link] [comments]

Morphling: Linken's into E-Blade or E-Blade into Linken's

Posted: 20 Jun 2017 07:53 AM PDT

Which one? When?

It seems very rare for players to omit either of these two items from Morphling itemisations, but I haven't been able to judge any concensus on which order they should be bought in (in normal games) and what particular situations are good for the other option.

I imagine getting the E-Blade earlier when ahead lets you start to delete supports and take space away from the enemy team, but, then again, Linken's Sphere helps Morphling farm faster due to the sustain it provides, so there's less risk of throwing an early lead by picking a few bad fights, and that's on top of Linken's making it so you can't die unless they commit heavily to ganking you.

I also can't decide which is better when you're behind. Linken's is certainly safer, but it doesn't open up a win condition if the enemy team isn't giving you the space to farm, which means you're stuck as a hard carry with a 5000 gold item that gives you no ability to get kills. E-Blade first would sound better to me at first, but if you're behind and go E-Blade first, it's still not going to be super fast, which not only means that the enemy supports have more levels and items, but you still can't fight the enemy position 1 or 2 because all you have is an E-Blade.

I've written myself into a corner. Please get me out!

submitted by /u/DankWong
[link] [comments]

How do I handle teammates giving bad advice or orders?

Posted: 20 Jun 2017 01:40 PM PDT

I've played alot of solo matchmaking recently where people decide that they think they know better than I do what I should be doing with my hero or that they know better than another teammate as to what they should be doing. Generally this goes in the form of them dying unnecessarily and then blaming a teammate for not being there to save them or whatever it may be. I have a problem with it because people have been taking bad fights when I need to farm and then blame me when things go bad. WHat's the best thing to do in this situation. I've been taking the path of ignoring what they say as long as I know they aren't right, but this frustrates them sometimes so maybe that isn't the play. I just hate following others advice knowing it is a mistake. Maybe I need to communicate better maybe I don't know my hero as well as i think I do at certain time. Lemme know what you guys think.

submitted by /u/UnderlordJungler
[link] [comments]

Helm of the Dominator still broken.

Posted: 19 Jun 2017 07:53 PM PDT

I'm a 5k carry player that has recently started to support. I was thinking about item builds and I was browsing dotamax's item section and noticed something rather awesome. Helm of the Domniator is one of the highest winrate items in all of dota right now.

https://www.dotabuff.com/items/winning

http://www.dotamax.com/item/detail/helm_of_the_dominator/

I know that this likely means it is used for push strats but the item has nearly a positive winrate on 95% of the hero pool. Surely, there must be something going on with this item. It honestly is still quite broken from what it was before.

The aura it provides is broken. 10hp regen in aoe as well as 10as. Most heroes in the game are lacking attack speed so this jumps up your teams dps by a good amount. In general, attack speed is more scarce in dota than damage so you can think of it as if you were giving your team 10 or more damage. 10HP regen is huge. HP regen is also a scarce resource since very few items that provide it in an AoE. For perspective the average hero at level 25 will have 5 hp regen, but we're talking double that number in an AoE among three to five heroes. That alone is quite good for 2k gold but then we talk about getting a creep which many creeps have aura's like 2+def or 15+ attack speed in an aura as well as an active ability, scouting, and huge health pool.

I would like to contrast this item with hand of midas which is the same gold. I think that dota in general is getting this item much too often despite it's lackluster performance. Hand of midas as nearly a negative winrate on all heroes in dota for the same gold. I think this goes to show the importance of taking objectives which is what helm provides.

Perhaps I'm incorrect but I doubt it. I know that most lineups are probably getting it on top of a lycan, luna push strat but I think the item is worthwhile at all stages of the game and not just push strats.

submitted by /u/ericjlima
[link] [comments]

I reached 3.5 spamming meepo (from 2.7) now is more complicated because people look my profile up and they ban meepo or pick some strong counter ( I can outplay lich and shaker but WW is annoying ) so any suggestion to reach 4k?

Posted: 19 Jun 2017 06:43 PM PDT

Here is my dotabuff is someone is interested https://www.dotabuff.com/players/118625048

submitted by /u/HappiestSadGuy
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.