Hearthstone - Theorycrafting Thursdays Weekly Discussion


Theorycrafting Thursdays Weekly Discussion

Posted: 21 Jun 2017 05:10 PM PDT

Hello members of the /r/hearthstone community,

This is a weekly thread designed for more advanced discussion regarding the intricacies of Hearthstone. Questions and answers should be focused on high-level theory crafting, such as card synergy, efficient mana drafts, and the viability of cards in certain situations.

Please keep it clean and try to add more than just a one or two word response. As the goal of this post is to increase the community's knowledge, the thought process matters as much as the answer! There is also a Newbie Tuesday weekly post, for those who wish to discuss the basics.

Note: I am a bot. Questions or feedback regarding this thread? Message the moderators.

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

Top 10 Lightest Collectible Minions

Posted: 21 Jun 2017 10:37 PM PDT

Honourable Mention: The Light Gang

Ragnaros the Lightlord and the Lightwell are truly the epitome of lightness. Just be sure not to call Ragnaros fat, round, bulky, or even heavyset. He takes insults to his physique very seriously, as he's been working on it for years at the gym.

Honourable Mention: Weasel Tunneler - 379.903g

I compared a stoat to the Weasel Tunneler because they both appear to be a smaller species of weasel. I am of the opinion that the Weasel Tunneler is a male (a fedora would simply be tacky on a female), so I will use a male stoat for our comparison.

Males weigh 258 grams (9.1 oz), while females weigh less than 180 grams (6.3 oz).[25]

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoat

Unfortunately, we can't stop there because we have not taken account the weight of the stylish fedora atop the tunneler's head. The hat accounts for a sizable portion of the card's weight.

The Sierra Trading Post has a truly beautiful fedora for sale that weighs in at 4.3 ounces.

Specs about Brooklyn Hat Co. Distressed Fedora (For Men)
Brim: 1-1/2"
Fabric: 100% polyester
Weight: 4.3 oz.
Care: Spot clean
Made in China

Source: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/brooklyn-hat-co-distressed-fedora-for-men~p~246dy/?filterString=s~fedora%2F

This incredibly fashionable hat adds another 121.903g to the Weasel Tunneler's weight!

10. Mana Wyrm - 200g

I compared a giant earthworm to the Mana Wyrm. Even though a wyrm is more of a dragon than a worm, the Mana Wyrm appears to be very slender, similarly to the giant earthworm. I think it makes a great comparison!

On average they weigh about 200 grams (0.44 lb).

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Gippsland_earthworm

9. Webspinner - 85g

I compared a tarantula to the Webspinner, because they are both larger species of spiders.

Some of the largest species of tarantula may weigh over 85 grams (3 oz)

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula

8. Emerald Reaver - 50g

I compared a stag beetle to the Emerald Reaver, because they appear to have a similar physiology. I couldn't find the weight of a stag beetle online but I did find the weight of a goliath beetle, which is about the same size as a stag beetle.

Megasoma elephas and Megasoma actaeon, or goliath beetles, both of which can commonly exceed 50 g (1.8 oz) and 10 cm (3.9 in), can reach a higher weight.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_insects

7. Deadly Fork - 48.1942g

I compared the fork-tailed swift to the Deadly Fork because they both contain "fork" in their name. I hope that people do not question the integrity of my list just because I am comparing a piece of silverware to a bird.

Expert biologist here. I've been studying birds for 20 years. My aviary scale is not very accurate in this range, but weight is approx 1.7 oz for the fork-tailed swift

Source: https://www.amazon.com/How-much-does-fork-weigh/forum/Fx1FHRG4HW4ZFRO/Tx9ZJS71Z1KBC8/1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B000RTDO0M

6. Firefly - 20g

It took a while to deduce what species this card belonged to. I eventually decided to compare a firefly to the Fire Fly, after a detailed analysis of many different insect species.

Weight: Firefly beetles weight is on an average, about 20 grams (less than an ounce)

Source: http://www.costaricajourneys.com/fireflies/

5. Fiery Bat - 19g

I compared the gray short-tailed bat to the Fiery Bat, because this species of bat looked fairly similar to the Fiery Bat.

The gray short-tailed bat is a relatively small member of its family, measuring 6.4 to 7.3 centimetres (2.5 to 2.9 in) in length, and weighing 12 to 19 grams (0.42 to 0.67 oz).

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_short-tailed_bat

4. Biteweed - 5.2g

Unfortunately I could not find the weight of a Venus Flytrap online, so I used weed for my calculation instead. Assuming the Biteweed is about 10 cm3 in volume, we can use advanced math in order to determine our weight- 5.2g.

Okay, I'm stoned and just thought this up. I don't think it'd be that useful, but it's cool if you wanna know how dense your bud is.

First you take a bowl off one of your pieces and measure its height and radius (half the distance from one side of the rim to the other). Then to work out the volume of the bowl you use the area of a cylinder formula, which is v = hpir2 where h is height and r is radius.

So if your bowl were 2cm high and had a radius of 0.5cm, your volume would be 23.14159260.52 which is 1.57cm3.

Then see how many bowls you can get out of your bud (call this number n). The total volume of your bud would be number of bowls * volume. Then weigh your bud and the formula for density is >mass/volume, so it'd be....

d = w / n(h * pi * r2)

which is also

d = w / n(v)

where v is volume.

so if your bud weighed 2g, and you got 6 bowls out of it, it'd be...

d = 2 / 6(1.57) = 0.52 grams per cubic centimetre.

So there you go, have fun calculating how dense your bud is.

Source: http://www.marijuana.com/community/threads/how-to-calculate-the-density-of-your-weed.209831/

3. Wisp - 0.2g

I compared 1000 dandelion seeds to the Wisp, because I'd imagine that 1000 dandelion seeds floating through the air in a spherical shape would look similar to a Wisp floating in the air.

Weight of 1000 seeds 0.2 - 0.8 g. Spring flowering of dandelion occurs from March (Central Asia) or May (Northern Europe) until July, and autumn flowering in August or in September.

Source: http://www.agroatlas.ru/en/content/weeds/Taraxacum_officinale/

2. Emerald Hive Queen - 0.09g

I compared a queen wasp to the Emerald Hive Queen, because the Emerald Hive Queen looks like a murderous queen of a wasp colony.

Adult workers of Vespula vulgaris measure about 12–17 mm (0.5–0.7 in) from head to abdomen,[8]and have a mass of 84.1±19.0 mg,[9] whereas the queen is about 20mm (0.8 in) long. And, we might imagine, a few milligrams heavier.

Source: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-weight-of-a-regular-wasp

1. Ultrasaur - Weightless

I compared God to the Ultrasaur because this mega dino is my Lord and saviour.

It is difficult to perceive the presence of God in the routines of everyday life. God is not apprehensible to our normal five senses. You can't hear God, see God, taste, smell, or touch God. You certainly cannot weigh God.

Source: https://inaspaciousplace.wordpress.com/2010/08/16/how-much-does-god-weigh/


edit: added pics

edit2: k it's a top 10 now

edit3: added deadly fork but I compared it to a bird HOW MAAAYD

edit4: light gang thingy

submitted by /u/chip_idiot
[link] [comments]

Firebat gets Max Yogg'd

Posted: 22 Jun 2017 04:43 AM PDT

All Chinese team members heading towards the Global Wild Tournament in US get defeated by the visa official

Posted: 22 Jun 2017 02:02 AM PDT

Source: http://bbs.ngacn.cc/read.php?tid=11863181

None of them succeeded in getting the visa to US.

The most ridiculous thing is that, Baize, a female player who won the selection tournament at China, was refused by the visa official because she is single.

submitted by /u/AcidNoBravery
[link] [comments]

Thank you for this brawl Blizzard!

Posted: 22 Jun 2017 05:08 AM PDT

I will finish my quests soo easy

http://imgur.com/a/EDWeV

submitted by /u/bloodfire1004
[link] [comments]

My first experience with Hearthstone

Posted: 22 Jun 2017 05:16 AM PDT

I just installed the game yesterday and I absolutely love this game. I was worried about trying it out as I was scared I'd get crushed with my basic cards against people with better decks but man, is this game fun!

Winning felt so rewarding because I had to think critically about my next move, mana crystal management, etc. It feels so good to know that I beat an opponent by outwitting them and playing smartly.

Loosing has never felt better, there is nothing I love more than a tense battle of wits. After a lost match I feel encouraged to think back at what went wrong and what I could have done better. Also, I never forget to spam well played even if I loose.

I've found that the mage and druid are my favourites because of the board control for mage and the hero power for druid (that cool lion roar though!).

Does anyone have any tips for a newbie like me? I only know the absolute basics. I'm a little nervous at trying out the other classes.

Anyways, thank you for reading my post!

Edit: tried to fix the formatting

submitted by /u/K2MSR
[link] [comments]

A little idea to make arena more interesting

Posted: 22 Jun 2017 03:02 AM PDT

I´m sure a lot of people have come up with the same idea, but here it goes.

http://imgur.com/skTwQYa

This could potentially make all classes relevant in arena and end the reign of mage. The standard arena seems boring to me, so I´d love to play something like this.

I think this would solve 2 issues:

  • wild arena has too many cards to be able to have synergies in your deck
  • standard arena feels like you always fight the same decks and classes over and over

Also, I´m not sure if classic and basic card sets should be added by default to the card pool.

submitted by /u/Fraynetto
[link] [comments]

Dog gets Yogg'd

Posted: 21 Jun 2017 07:26 PM PDT

Disguised Toast gets scared by Ekop at SeatStory

Posted: 22 Jun 2017 05:59 AM PDT

vS Data Reaper Report #53

Posted: 22 Jun 2017 09:00 AM PDT

Greetings!

The Vicious Syndicate Team is proud to present the 53rd edition of the Data Reaper Report.

As always, a special thanks to all those who contribute their game data to the project. This project could not succeed without your support. The entire vS Team is eternally grateful for your assistance.

This week our data is based off of over 2,500 contributors and over 55,000 games! In this week's report you will find:

  • Deck Library - Decklists & Class/Archetype Radars

  • Class/Archetype Distribution Over All Games

  • Class/Archetype Distribution "By Rank" Games

  • Class Frequency over previous 53 Weeks

  • Class Frequency by Day

  • Interactive Matchup Win-Rate Chart

  • vS Power Rankings

  • Analysis/Discussion of each Class

  • Meta Breaker of the Week

The full article can be found at: vS Data Reaper Report #53

Data Reaper Live (Beta) - After you're done with the Report, you can keep an eye on this up-to-date live Meta Tracker throughout the week!

As always, thank you all for your fantastic feedback and support. We are looking forward to all the additional content we can provide everyone.

Reminder

  • If you haven't already, please sign up to contribute your game data! The more contributors we have the more accurate our data! More data will allow us to answer some more interesting questions. Track-o-Bot runs in the background, so you can use it in conjunction with any other tracker you prefer. Sign up here, and follow the instructions.

Thank you,

The Vicious Syndicate Team

submitted by /u/ViciousSyndicate
[link] [comments]

Why is Alleycat living in the streets?

Posted: 22 Jun 2017 02:29 AM PDT

(S)he has gold plated tusks with gemstones embedded and therefore must have been a pet to a wealthy household.

Why happened to them that they now have to roam the streets alleys?

Especially in a dangerous city like Gadgetzan, where organized and disorganized crime flourish, they could easily get killed over their precious jewlery that they display so openly.

And they don't look like they can fend off armed robbers

submitted by /u/Hutzlipuz
[link] [comments]

New Hunter Board Clear

Posted: 22 Jun 2017 05:53 AM PDT

What is the point with flare?

Posted: 21 Jun 2017 10:42 AM PDT

I have decided to put flare in my hunter deck lately. If it is any good or not is another discussion, but I just now used Flare against my opponent, and it triggered my opponents Counter Spell. This ment that it didn't destroy the secret, and I didn't get my card draw. I am pretty sure that this means that Flare triggers Mana Bind aswell.

This might be correct per se, but shouldn't a bad secret counter like Flare actually counter all the secrets? It would be like if Eater of Secrets or Kezan Mystic would trigger Mirror Entity or Sacred Trial.

What is the point with flare, if it doesn't actually counter all the secrets?

EDIT: It seems that some people miss my point, so I'll add this here: I dont think the interaction is a bug and therefore should be changed, I just think that when a card that is countering a so narrow selection of cards, it should counter the whole selection. A way to write this card could be, like it was suggested below, that the text "This card does not activate secrets", or something along these lines, is added.

submitted by /u/HaakonVII
[link] [comments]

[PSA] From June 22 to 25th, Amazon Appstore is celebrating their Mobile Masters event with a 25% discount for Hearthstone packs and other mobile games

Posted: 22 Jun 2017 07:10 AM PDT

I'm at SeatStory this weekend but wanted to let everyone know about the Hearthstone packs discount promotion going on this weekend with Amazon Appstore's Mobile Masters tournament featuring Hearthstone, Vain Glory, and Summoners War. Its been a while since we have had on of these so jump on the opportunity to get 25% more packs if you are planning on buying a bundle.

Info for the Amazon Mobile Masters tournament

Link to info on how to get the Amazon discount (Click Deals and Discounts)

Basic Steps:

  • Download the Amazon Appstore app but remember it is separate from the normal Amazon app. It is mainly on Amazon and Android devoices but if you do not know how to download it from your phone's app store, search on Google.

  • Download Hearthstone through the Amazon Appstore (not google play, itunes, etc)

  • Buy coins

  • Buy packs

  • Craft N'zoth Paladin and somehow queue into Quest Rogue despite not seeing one for days

Reynad did a walkthrough a while back for those who want a more visual guide

p2w btw

submitted by /u/FrodaN
[link] [comments]

You don't suck, Ben Brode.

Posted: 21 Jun 2017 04:35 AM PDT

Turn 3 lethal

Posted: 22 Jun 2017 07:58 AM PDT

Possible hint/confirmation regarding next expansion?

Posted: 22 Jun 2017 08:20 AM PDT

https://twitter.com/Arimatras_HS/status/877899066624983040

There was an interesting post on Twitter this morning. French HS player sent a message to the official French Hearthstone account asking basically: "Would it be possible to open a portal to Icecrown Citadel because of how hot it is outside?", to which the account replied "well, for now, you'll have to go to the pool" along with a picture of a basin in Un'goro.

The interesting part is: the post from the HS player was accompanied by a picture of an portal to Icecrown Citadel that looks super professional, very Hearthstone-y, AND isn't available anywhere else on the Internet (I googled the image). Like, it's not a picture found on a random artist website or anything, it's fresh.

Could it be some kind of early marketing stunt organised by Blizzard? Providing an HS streamer with an official picture of an Icecrown Portal made by their artists and setting up what looks like a casual conversation, but actually sending a hint regarding next expansion?

submitted by /u/ScytheSloth
[link] [comments]

i really miss artosis and kripp in seatstorycup

Posted: 22 Jun 2017 08:16 AM PDT

the casts were so funny

submitted by /u/solow89
[link] [comments]

My f2p account with less than 10 packs opened.

Posted: 22 Jun 2017 01:19 AM PDT

I made an account for quests since i don't know anyone who plays hearthstone and already pulled 2 legendary cards with less than 10 packs opened. One of them being a classic golden legendary. On my main account i have probably opened 600 packs and don't have a single golden legendary.

http://imgur.com/a/UOLnv

submitted by /u/J_Harden13
[link] [comments]

Is there an official reason why Mana Geode is not an elemental?

Posted: 21 Jun 2017 03:42 PM PDT

You know that 2 mana 2/3 "whenever you heal this minion summon a 2/2" priest card from The mean streets of Gadgetzan.

submitted by /u/xsethx
[link] [comments]

Nothing wrong with the current arena rewards

Posted: 22 Jun 2017 05:56 AM PDT

I even got my arena run money back from these 11 wins!

submitted by /u/AlexAverage
[link] [comments]

Is it possible to get a worse free from amber?

Posted: 21 Jun 2017 02:12 PM PDT

Even at age 42, playing Hearthstone is probably the most important thing I've ever done and I'm not even that good at it.

Posted: 21 Jun 2017 07:48 PM PDT

Weird how life turns out. I feel like a pretty lucky guy to have had this in my life. If I were to have been born even 100 years ago, I never would never have amounted to anything but in the year 2017, I get to do a lot of really cool stuff. Life's really nice. Imagine if I was good enough to hit legend.

submitted by /u/ThalesToAristotle
[link] [comments]

Hallazeal's + Timepiece of Horror (Arch-Thief Rafaam's random 10 damage spell) animation takes FIFTY EIGHT seconds to complete.

Posted: 21 Jun 2017 10:09 AM PDT

Got mindblown in a normal game, so I went and tested it against bot. 58 seconds. No spellpower, all 10 missiles went to face, because I kept the board empty. So it probably would take even longer with deathrattle minions on enemy's board, or god forbid me for this perverted thought - against full board of minions with ARMORSMITH on it. mrw this happens: http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/858/076/f0a.gif

submitted by /u/SorenaZod
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.