True Gaming Do overweight/obese character models seem a little bit lost in the "uncanny valley" to anyone else?


Do overweight/obese character models seem a little bit lost in the "uncanny valley" to anyone else?

Posted: 19 Jun 2018 03:48 AM PDT

It always seems like in most games, obese people look really, really strange. Like they never look totally right. I think perhaps it's because the head stays the same size but the bodies are bigger, or the shaping is off, or something. Has anyone else noticed this?

Of course people come in all shapes and sizes, as do obese people. But still, they almost always look off. And it's not because we're used to really fit attractive characters. When there's a stringy anxious thin guy or girl, they look right. It's just the obese that look so weird.

Another theory in my mind is that, maybe it's due to how they move when they're animated. They probably use the same animations as the thinner characters, which isn't the best way to go, as larger people move differently more often than not.

Just some thoughts!

submitted by /u/appleparkfive
[link] [comments]

About AI and Dialogs : why did the game industry improve on almost all EXCEPT AI and dialogs?

Posted: 19 Jun 2018 01:21 AM PDT

I know it's a bit harsh, I know AI and dialog systems improved somewhat in the past 15 years, but in a broad sense, the improvement of GRAPHICS, SOUND, SCALE, CONTROLS are tenfold bigger than what has been done for AI and Dialogs.

I understand AI is a very complicated domain in science and mathematics (much more than calculating vertex and shaders i guess). Still, would it be true to say that game studios have invested (money+people) a lot on graphics and not on AI ?

  • 1 DIALOG

As a quick rough example, when I am plying Assassin's Creed Origin and interacting with random NPCs populating the "seemingly" lively world I get the same experience than when i was clicking on NPCs in Planescape Torment (decades agp). Why is that ?

Some would say because of voice acting. Fine. Still, I haven't seen a recent game using text for dialogs and giving me intelligent, contextual dialogs or reactions from NPCs.

As for dialog system, we are still stuck in dialog trees, decades and decades later. Still going around that tree "ticking the boxes" of that tree to test all the lines. NPCs have no memories, you can insult them in one line, and 2 clicks later, ask them for a favor and it works. NPCs know pretty much nothing about the world they live in, besides the 2 lines they have memorized (kudos to Morrowind and the html-like system, at least, anybody would know where is the trader and the army barrack).

  • 2 AI

About graphics, they are improving games after games, alright we are impressed by the sunsets and by the realistic shadows... but wouldnt we, as players, be as much (or even more) impressed by freakingly intelligent AI in our games?

Is AI too taxing for our CPUs/GPUs ? lets remove the shaders and make impressive AI systems run !

I often feel that the realism and beauty of recent games are just shattered by the stupidity and stiffness of NPCs. take Assassins Creed Origin. It's pretty, but it is just empty, it's a playground, a theme park filled with two dimensional robots. Sadly, ** the animals seems and feel more real than the "humans"** in these games.

now, don't get me started on enemies AI ? I still remember half-life grenade throwing soldiers... since then ? nothing. FEAR did something new (it's the only game that tried something it seems). are we satisfied ?

  • 3 QUESTION

Then, why don't game company's invest in AI ? is it much harder than creating amazing shaders ? it is easier to sell beautiful textures than seemingly intelligent enemies?

I personally think, that as players we would be MUCH more impressed and floored by playing against freakingly intelligent AI ...

submitted by /u/hudornohud45
[link] [comments]

What are some worthwhile Devlogs that you think are worth reading?

Posted: 18 Jun 2018 11:21 PM PDT

When I say "worthwhile" I mean anything that you may have found personally enlightening, or anything that struck you as educational and taught you something new of games development you hadn't known about previously. Perhaps somehting that gives insight into the technical requirements for creating within a genre such as an online shooter, maybe the in house tools used for quick iteration and building, or even something about the processes used in building the final product. Heck, even something written in a very approachable easy to understand manner for a beginner qualifies, I'd argue. Anything goes as long as it provides some value for someone!

For some context, I'm personally looking to learn more about what developing a commercial game entails, from the programming to the art to the music from start to finish. I'd think this would be a good way to grasp just what skills are desirable and discover a newfound appreciation for the medium I enjoy best. That said, feel free to post anything that you think others might enjoy.

submitted by /u/habadahabadabu
[link] [comments]

why gamers are fascinated by post apocaliptic worlds?.

Posted: 18 Jun 2018 07:28 PM PDT

i ask this because from the last E3 were games like REMAKE2/metro exodus/dying light 2/TLOU 2/fallout 76 etc were games that happens in a post apocaliptic world, there is something enjoyable in being one of the last humans alive, or just everyone want to see how the world would look like if something like nuclear war/zombies actually happens?.

submitted by /u/andresfgp13
[link] [comments]

What's the point of Legendary/Epic Weapons in games?

Posted: 18 Jun 2018 11:23 PM PDT

Recently I've played Assassins Creed: Origins and also some Fortnite. They have these things called rarity in weapons which I don't even get the point in having. Origins for example, has legendary weapons with some additional perks like fire/poison/bleeding damage etc attached to it, thus equipping them makes sense rather than "common peasant" weapons. Then why are there even the common weapons, getting the legendary weapons isn't even that hard. For single player games like Origin it doesn't make much sense to me, but OK, I'll accept it. But let's take Fortnite, legendary weapons clearly have an edge over common weapons. Getting them is purely based on luck but it gives an unfair advantage for people with equal skill. It is a battle royale, so I don't see any reason to give some players advantage over others. I mean finding chests or some gear to equip at the start of the game also depends on luck. But this weapon rarity issue can continue through out the whole game.

submitted by /u/skweldyn
[link] [comments]

Fallout 4s ending and the BoS (spoilers)

Posted: 19 Jun 2018 08:33 AM PDT

After you destroy the institute with the BoS; do you think Nora/Nate try to push the BoS into more of a direction that helps people afterwards? I know you don't visibly see what happens with the Brotherhood, but do you think that your character would have enough clout to get them to help with settlements and establishing bases or safe zones?

submitted by /u/GraySalamander
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.