True Gaming What game has had an impact on your life? (it doesn't have to be your favorite game)


What game has had an impact on your life? (it doesn't have to be your favorite game)

Posted: 26 Feb 2018 04:14 AM PST

I heard this question on a podcast and though it would make a great discussion.

My answer is the NES version of Strider. I remember playing the version of it at my best friend's house. The game has had an incredible impact on my life as a youth.

Here's a brief synopsis via Wikipedia

Set in a dystopian future during the year 2048, the game centers around a secret organization of hi-tech ninja-like operatives known as "Striders", who specializes in various kinds of wetworks such as smuggling, kidnapping, demolitions, and disruption. The player takes control of Hiryu, the youngest ever elite-class Strider in the organization. Hiryu is summoned by the organization's second-in-command, Vice Director Matic, to assassinate his friend Kain, who has been captured by hostile forces and has become a liability to the Striders.

At the time, videogames never told adult story full of intrigue, double crossing, backstabbing and secret organizations. When I was a kid I didn't understand the whole "don't trust who you work for" cliche. For a classic 8 bit game, it's incredible, to think that games could be more than saving the princess. But the best thing is how we would hangout and go crazy over all the twists and turns the story had. Watching the story unfold in the cinematic cutscenes and the then, state of the art tech was amazing to my kid brain. We would marvel at the "I didn't see that coming" and "Man that was sick!" twists. The actual bonding we did over it and other games was something that I can never replace.

submitted by /u/NYstate
[link] [comments]

Watch Dogs 2 is the first game that's ever made me feel old

Posted: 25 Feb 2018 07:40 PM PST

Playing this game makes me feel like I'm totally out of place, like I've arrived somewhere I don't belong. Like I'm walking around desperately trying to fit in like this. Never before have I felt that way while playing a game.

I can't deal with these kid's cringy humour and pop culture references that I only half understand. The characters, their speech, their style, is all so disconnected from anything I'm familiar with that I feel like I'm observing a different species. Maybe the game is just trying way too hard? Is that it? Please tell me that's it.

I find the gameplay confusing too. There are so many different mechanics in place, and it feels overwhelming. I wish the game was so much simpler, because I just can't get to grips with anything. My confusion about the themes of the game combined with my confusion about the mechanics, makes me feel like I'm my grandmother trying to understand Twitter.

I'm only 27 by the way, but I feel at least 20 years older after trying this game. I just looked in the mirror and I'm noticing way more wrinkles on my face than before I booted it up. Is it all downhill from here? I feel the need to go and bask in something comfortable and familiar. The warm and loving embrace of a game I understand, with a world I can relate to. I'm going to go and play Vice City again. I wasn't alive for the 80s, but I definitely understand it a lot more than I understand... This.

Has anyone else here played a game that made you feel this way?

submitted by /u/Cynic_Mimic
[link] [comments]

What can games do to better accommodate older gamers (35+)?

Posted: 25 Feb 2018 11:39 PM PST

Addendum: What do games already do to accommodate older gamers?

In light of the recent "ageism" thread, the thought occurred to me, what can developers do to help accommodate older gamers with their limited time and different priorities? What features have helped older gamers really invest in a game in spite of the limited amount of play time after responsibilities are handled?

One of the most obvious answers would be games with a shorter/quicker game loop, e.g. the Fortnite vs PUBG match length as discussed in the earlier thread, but what else?

submitted by /u/hoopwoopthrowaway
[link] [comments]

Help me steer this fledgling Early-Access developer toward the right direction. (Closed-Mindedness after Early-Access Release.)

Posted: 25 Feb 2018 04:03 PM PST

I NEED HELP.

I've been in this discussion with this newbie Steam Early Access developer for a few days now.

  • His game has a great basis. Solid mechanics, decent art, with plenty of room for improvement in many areas.

  • He finally "Released" his game. Fairly prematurely in my opinion, but to each their own.

  • Now he goes through his Steam discussion board responding to all Bug and Feature requests with "NO." "If there was a big outcry during Early Access I would have fixed it." "This isn't a problem" or my favorite "I don't have the time or resources to fix that." (Yet while leaving their Steam Profile on Public and showing precisely how much time they actually DO have and just choose to devote to Timesink-style games rather. How you spend your time is totally your choice, but then don't turn around and blame your customer-base for it being their problem when you clearly have the time to fix the problem yourself and just choose not to. That's my opinion personally.)

  • Example: You can't rebind a decent portion of the keys. Some you can. But major ones like TURN LEFT, TURN RIGHT, and FIRE are stuck as what he chose. Wtf? I mentioned it and he accused me of wanting to use "WEIRD" controls and maybe to try using "Normal People Controls" or be SOL. Wtf??


  • How do I get through to him?

  • How do I really properly convince him that the Open-Mindedness he claims to have exhibited during his Early-Access period shouldn't have just closed up now that his game is "released?"

  • How do I convince him that FULLY-REBINDABLE keys are a historical staple of PC-Gaming and should not be sacrificed or compromised on?

  • I've provided so many links of accounts to him where he can read about people complaining about Partially-Rebindable keys, as well as links regarding Early-Access developers fixing problems right off the bat with positive open mindsets, willing to improve their skillset and maybe sacrifice a weekend to improve their game and their own development skills in the process. I've shown him links of devs who give into fear and insecurity and just say "there are not enough resources in the world to fix that" or turn it around on the customer as THEIR problem and not the developers problem.

  • I don't even care about the actual issue with his game anymore, I already fixed it for myself in less than an hour using AutoHotKey. It was NBD. But the principle still stands. I shouldn't have to pull out Notepad and AutoHotKey just to supplement a non-functioning or partially-functioning options/settings menu.


Please, I'm running out of ideas and I really would love to get through to him. Is there hope? Or is this little developer-ling doomed to closed-mindedness, fear, and insecurity forever??!?!?!

Help!!!

submitted by /u/Tsurukij
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.