True Gaming Are FPSs trying too hard to be MOVIES instead of GAMES?


Are FPSs trying too hard to be MOVIES instead of GAMES?

Posted: 13 Dec 2017 08:04 AM PST

I saw a Youtube video by HugBox (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN7FjBhywLk) where he stated that shooters of today are trying too hard to become "cinematic experiences" instead of actual games and compared CODWWII with MoH AA. I saw this when I was playing again through my favourite FPS campaing, the 3 CoDs Modern Warfare. And that statement became REALLY evident for me then.

Seeing how in most dialogue parts of the new CoD you stay just watching as the camera focus on the speaking party, compared with MW3 where you get to see Price mourning for Soap, or even, on CoD II where there literally there is no cutscene in the D Day sequence, I can't stop but feel more impacted by the "old style" of FPS.

Thing is, you never actually lose control of the character in most sequences, unless in some specific occasion. I don't know how, but for me that works better in the sense of transmitting the actual "feel" of the moment.

I am just airing this as I noticed while playing through old games, but you guys also think that, or see some relation to that in the loss of content quality in FPSs today?

submitted by /u/ExposedHope
[link] [comments]

Is there some equivalent to Game Maker's Toolkit for RPGs?

Posted: 13 Dec 2017 01:29 AM PST

So I've recently been binging/rewatching episodes of Game Maker's Toolkit. I personally find that Mark Brown is a little too lenient with certain systems, but at the very least I find the discussion points that he brings up interesting to think about/reflect on/compare to my own opinions. However, while a lot of his content is about games I'm interested in, he seems to cover very little in the way of "video game" RPGs outside of Dark Souls and one video on the Witcher, focusing mostly on platformers, puzzle games, and shooters (to clarify, when I say RPG here, I mean games like Final Fantasy or Skyrim). I'd be interested in seeing/hearing what other people believe are elements of good RPGs with targeted analysis and examples from games like Bravely Default. I'd similarly be interested to see what are elements of failed RPGs and how to potentially avoid them, using examples from games like I am Setsuna. I know there's some GDC content on the general topic, but wanted to know if there was some other place to see what people find effective about successful RPGs/bad about the failures.

submitted by /u/Yurika_BLADE
[link] [comments]

What game "wasted" it's setting?

Posted: 13 Dec 2017 01:38 PM PST

Video games have some of the most outlandish settings and worlds of any medium. What are some games that you feel completely wasted their setting or world building? This potential can be squandered either through contrived or unfitting game mechanics, mechanics that would be better suited to another genre, storytelling, atmosphere, or a combination of many things.

I will begin with a game that I felt wasted it's setting due to poor gameplay decisions and generic storytelling. Legendary was a game that had a really promising premise (if a little cliche) that was wasted with a subpar FPS experience. What are some other games you felt had wasted potential?

submitted by /u/GemsOfNostalgia
[link] [comments]

Ymir, an underappreciated RTS, City Building, MP/SP game which has been in development for over five years

Posted: 13 Dec 2017 04:01 PM PST

I did not think I could find a game that would satisfy my imagination. I recently discovered Ymir and it amazes me I was not able to find something like it sooner. I want to spread the word about it because Im sure there are people like me who would love to hear about this game and discuss it. Even though it has been in development for five years(by one guy !! who worked on Rome 2)and is highly complex, the community is still very small.

 

Ymir is a game where you control a race of pigs with clothes and try to build a city(ies), while conducting diplomacy and balancing a whole ton of other factors. If you like city building, history, culture, economics, empire building, civilization, age of empires, slow pace, procedural terrain, MMOs, or hands off control then you may really like Ymir. It is really hard to describe it because the scale of it is so big. The only thing I can think of is that if you tried to simulate history, you would use Ymir.

 

Ymir recently entered closed beta. You can still play the game if you donate $40 to the creators Patreon(note that the finished game will be for around $20 on steam, so you may want to wait if your not that eager). Heres a bunch of info and links if your interested:

 

Official site

 

r/pigs_with_clothes subreddit

 

Facebook

 

Youtube Playthrough

Check it out, read about it, see if you like it! What do you think about it? What makes this game different from other games like it? Discuss/ask questions.

EDIT:grammar, link fix

submitted by /u/44A99
[link] [comments]

Should you give up COMPETITIVE fighting games?

Posted: 13 Dec 2017 04:08 AM PST

->Hey there, first of all let me say that I am a huge fan of fighting games. I've always loved to spectate, cheer on competitors from the sidelines, and watch how effortlessly they've strung together their well timed flurries of kicks and punches. I say that so I don't come off as biased to many of you reading this. But the fact of the matter is that even though I am a huge fan of fighting games, I am terribly bad at them.

MY STORY: (SKIP THIS IF YOU WANT)

I've played an small list of fighting games, firstly dating back to when I firstly had Tekken on my PS1. After becoming ecstatic from the newly purchased game, I decided to do what many people would've as well and tried to get good at it. I placed myself against the computer eons and eons on end, preparing to destroy my older brother at a game he claimed I would never beat him in. After building the courage and confidence of knowledge, I finally challenged my brother to a match. My brother took the first win and I chalked it up to good luck and settled up again. The matches continued, I was getting slaughtered more and more, scrambling about and not remembering a single lick of the combos I thought I had beaten into my mind. Devastated, I turned off the PS1 mid match and ran up the stairs fuming with rage.

After viewing the cataclysmic despair that I held on my face afterwards, my older brother had offered to train me himself and teach me how to play. I rallied whatever courage I had left and decided to practice with him, waiting for the day I'd finally beat him. Teaching me new combos and a new mentality on fighting games, I felt like I was getting better and closer at reaching his level. But lo and behold I never scraped his height. Every time I got into a match, the combos I had so devoutly learned fled my head as if it was opened, flipped and shaken for all it to be taken by a neighborhood bully. I had finally given up Tekken and decided to stay away from fighting games to avoid the sheer disappointment in myself.

Fast forward MANY years, Street Fighter has released on PS3 and my brother has gotten me a copy, hoping to re-light the doused candle of passion I had for fighting games. Being older and more care-free, I took the game into stride! Playing the arcade, looking up combos via youtube, and testing out all of the new characters to find a feel of what I was looking for within a year's time. Once again, I felt as if I had started a new chapter of my fighting game career, attempting to become good enough to boast of a many online matched to my friends. But they say history repeats itself, which it did. Every time I went online I was royally thrashed, not knowing or thinking what the opponent was going to do next. I had resorted to button mashing, which re-kindled my anger for fighting games, and in turn; I dropped fighting games again in lieu of preserving my sanity.

Fast forward to now, somehow, a copy of the Fighter Ex Layer Beta ends up on my PS4 layout as I scratch my head and ask "when did I download that game?". Being curious as ever, I had decided to open the application, only to find myself enjoying the characters & fooling around in training mode, stringing together a few homemade combos I had tested on the Kairi dummy in the training area. I had regained my confidence once more, and decided to go online. At first it went well, gaining a few wins, in trade of a few losses. Over time the matches seemed to increase in difficulty, occasionally bodying me and leaving me laid on on the floor like an unrolled gym mat. As I said previously in the story, history repeats itself, again, and AGAIN, and AGAIN. I was getting my behind handed to me left and right and had once again resorted to button mashing. THEN it finally hit me, I wasn't having fun losing, or period for that matter. Winning didn't feel like winning, and losing irked me to the point of outward aggression. And I had to come to terms with the fact that, I JUST WASN'T GOOD AT FIGHTING GAMES. The technique, frames, timing, combos and all other aspects of the game never stuck with me in a way that it should've on its own. It seemed as if I was forcing myself to play, in hopes of beating down a poor soul online to gain momentary and unfulfilling satisfaction. That being realized, I uninstalled the beta game. Feeling a weight lifted off of my shoulders I loaded up MGSV and began to once again enjoy the solo campaign while releasing the idea of competition.

-> Now while I may have quit fighting games for good, how I feel may not apply to every, or anyone else; I just want to say that COMPETITIVE fighting games may or may not be for you. If you find yourself not finding any satisfaction with the game, I encourage you to stop playing as it will deter your mood and make you feel like hot garbage. BUT on the other hand, if you are really determined on getting better and becoming a champion of the game, DO NOT MIND A LICK OF WHAT I'M saying and GO FOR IT, While I and a few others may have succumbed to quitting fighting games, you may like and enjoy the idea of them and want improve yourself by envisioning it as a mountain of skill being climbed with every match.

EITHER WAY NO MATTER WHAT YOU CHOOSE: MAKE SURE YOU'RE HAVING FUN

submitted by /u/RHC-Anubis
[link] [comments]

Decline of great RTS game genre over the last decade ?

Posted: 13 Dec 2017 07:20 AM PST

I am unable to recall any memorable RTS games over the last decade comparable to the quality of the greatest RTS games like -

Age of mythology

Warcraft 3 - reign of chaos

Battle for middle earth series

The unique trait all these above games shared was that they had a special "hero" unit who would lead the troops into battle. It was the good times. Can anyone think of similar RTS games with hero and units like the old - school RTS games?

submitted by /u/MoodyRowdy
[link] [comments]

Is drop-in multiplayer no longer a thing?

Posted: 12 Dec 2017 08:01 PM PST

So I've been playing Destiny 2 (I don't know why) and it seems like drop in multiplayer isn't a thing, nor has it been a thing for a while. The last game I seriously played multiplayer in was Far Cry, and IIRC it had drop multiplayer—that is multiplayer where you could join a thing in progress, or start without a full complement of players. The last game I seriously played multiplayer prior to that was Unreal Tournament 2004—which also had drop in multiplayer.

Destiny 2 does not have this. It makes you wait until it finds a full complement of players for whatever mode you choose. Additionally there isn't match making for some of the modes. If I want to do the mediations, I have to somehow organize a fire team or join one. The game doesn't provide any means to facilitate this. I understand the value of be able to form a party, but is it necessary? Why can't I just start-up the mediations, or join one that someone else has created? You can do that with strikes and the crucible. Why does it make me go through difficult task of forming a party, but then not give me the means to do so in the game?

Why are the team sizes for multiplayer so small? Unreal Tournament 2004 offered 16 players per side. I get that games are somewhat more complicated now, but Unreal Tournament had weapons which had actual projectiles whose path needed to be tracked, in addition to what I assume were probably hitscan weapons (I haven't played the game in at least 10 years). Is my PS4 not more sophisticated then gaming PC I built 13 years ago?

submitted by /u/Zerimas
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.