Learn Dota 2 - Playing in the 4k to 5k mmr bracket for the first time


Playing in the 4k to 5k mmr bracket for the first time

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 04:17 PM PST

Hey guys. I've been playing in the 3k trench since TI1, and never moved since. I decided to create a new dota account and got surprised being matched against Divines.

My Dotabuff tells me that I played in the Very High Skill bracket, and it was TOTALLY different from my usual 3k games. Although I did not get totally crushed and not feed alot, I was completely lost on how to do stuff mid and late game.

I can CS alright, watch out for incoming ganks, have decent map awareness and all that basic stuff. But when it's time to seige or my team is on a crucial moment where we could get wiped and lose, I lose my ability to think of what to do next.

It's like I have a decent early game but crappy mid-to-late game on this bracket. On my 3k games, I can play good late game as I know how trench players think. They tend to sit around while being seiged, or tend to throw when seiging. It's totally different above 5k.

Are there any tips, or guides on how to properly play 5k games? Any mindset to have on playing with this skill bracket?

submitted by /u/kvnpl
[link] [comments]

Advanced Safelane Tips, Equlibrium & Lane Efficiency

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 06:55 AM PST

Firstly blocking & Equlibrium.

Ideally, you always want the Ranged Creep going first. This in theory allows you to LH/Deny every creep of the first wave and or run at offlaner and harass (as the carry). Depending on the lane, you can either keep an offlaner level 1 forever (or make him hide in trees doing nothing) if you have a support like Bane, or in more difficult matchups just ensure the wave always stays right on front of your tower. To keep the wave on front of your tower, simply keep more enemy creeps alive than friendly creeps, and kill the single extra creep after the next waves arrive. https://imgur.com/a/WBzBp

Radiant is more difficult than Dire when blocking (and letting ranged go first, because of pathing). https://imgur.com/a/wgXUJ

The 3rd image is very important, because supports pulling (particularly early on) can mess up your lane setup.

Dire - https://imgur.com/a/wQHXW - Self explanatory.

Pushing Offlane Tower

This is more difficult to explain without a video. People get confused how to do this, even when they apply the above principles and have situations like the Morphling game above where enemy offlaner is stuck level 2 Jungling, because they go to push and the offlaner just drags 2 massive waves back and ends up level 4 and lots of gold for 10% tower HP, thats wrong.

Tower Aggro trick - Press STOP just as the tower is killing/kills a friendly creep, and it will always swap to a different unit (regardless of range, apart from siege units). If you are not attacking the tower or an enemy creep when it is searching for a new unit, it wont swap to you. You can run with the offlaner and the creep wave and then harass inbetween towers, deny etc, and some units will be left behind anyway. Never push if you do not know where enemy heroes are & try get a ward behind tower to make it safer. Dont be afraid to tank a few tower hits to keep the siege creep alive also. If the offlaner TPs out of lane, punish and take the tower.

You should be getting 60-80 CS at 10min fairly consistently on most heroes using this method, in particular ones that can quickly clear the large camp inbetween waves. You can also just stack camps to clear later on heroes like Gyro, Luna when you have skills maxed. (Call down + Flak cannon can clear 3-4 at once etc).

submitted by /u/darren565
[link] [comments]

Is Dagon underrated or not?

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 05:17 PM PST

I have been experimenting a bit with my support play. And it's to buy a Dagon (lvl 1, not rush it to lvl 5) on certain support heroes whenever I can (AA, Ogre Magi, Chen, Witch Doctor and etc.).

And it works very well. After buying Arcane boots, Wand, wards and maby a "support" item. I start building a Dagon unless we really need a Force staff (ex; Riki smoke), Glimmer cape (enemies gank a lot), Veil (magic dmg team), Euls Scepter, Atos, Mek and etc.

Depending if your the only support in the team or it happens you had to sacrifice for the greater good a pair of times early game or not. you could get one around 20 min.

And it's a great item. I almost never see anyone else buy this item. Mostly some Nyx or Necro pickers once a month or soo who buys it as a core item first.

obvoiusly, I don't mean "go buy Dagon ASAP in your games now". As it's not that good on some heroes like thoes with good magic resistance (AM, Rubick, Viper, Huskar). What I kinda mean is to maby buy it more often as it can help many fight more than you think. Like, help early/mid game LC duels, Morph spamming players that has poped up recently and etc.

submitted by /u/TheOneWithALongName
[link] [comments]

Can Sand King's Q ( Burrowstrike ) be disjointed ??

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 10:23 AM PST

What's different in the way a pos 4 and pos 5 are played?

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 04:50 AM PST

the way i always think of it is that the pos 4 or "roaming" support is the one who goes around initiating/setting up ganks, collecting runes and placing wards whereas the pos 5 or "laning" support is the one who zones the offlaner, pulls and stacks camps, basically secures the carry.

So what are the core differences, if any, between the playstyle of the two roles? I feel like I understand it slightly better as a pos 4, since there's so much stuff to do - always a rune to collect, camp to stack, lane to counter-gank, and all that. But as a pos 5, I generally go to the safe-lane and try to help my carry, pull a few times, try to harass the offlaner, and just feel a bit lost after that. Any tips on this, more from the perspective of a pos 5, would be nice.

submitted by /u/EL3kTr1C
[link] [comments]

Any issues with accepting the match but getting a penalty anyway

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 12:19 PM PST

It's happened twice to me now and I have an hour of time to wait before I can play again. I was the last person to accept the match but I still accepted it, and got penalized.

submitted by /u/OmniscientShadow
[link] [comments]

Is it possible to switch hero/ward/courier cosmetics during a match?

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 08:11 AM PST

Let's say you forgot to equip it before starting the game.

submitted by /u/axeisasheep
[link] [comments]

Is a jungler detrimental to your team?

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 04:14 AM PST

Title says it all really, I'm around 3.1k mmr I thought I was past the whole jungling shithole but recently people have been picking junglers on my team, and at least 80% of the games we lose massively, as we get stomped. From what I've experienced, a roamer is far more beneficial to your team as they can assist in any lane and sway the odds in your team's favour. Am I right in saying this?

I'm writing this as I just had a game in which a guy on my team last picked bloodseeker jungle when they had already picked Riki to roam with. We lost the game in 25-30 minutes and got stomped. I tried to explain to him why his pick completely screwed us but he was having none of it and just called me the usual, "idiot retard".

submitted by /u/Goocherino
[link] [comments]

Why are phase boots the most purchased boots for Brewmaster

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 05:43 AM PST

He never has any mana to fight. I even find it hard to play him with Tread switching

submitted by /u/calummillar
[link] [comments]

[SEA 3k] looking for 1v1 partners, literally any mmr is fine

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 07:05 AM PST

Steam profile here

I don't really play a lot of ranked anymore, but I do want to get better at mid so I don't get stomped whenever I do queue. Mid is also the most fun part about dota for me so there's that. Mainly play storm/sf/invo but can pick basically anything. shoot me a PM whenever you wanna 1v1, if I'm online I'll usually be down for a few

submitted by /u/rainshadow-
[link] [comments]

If you're learning to play Phantom Lancer, Turn Off "Autoselect summoned units"

Posted: 09 Dec 2017 08:15 PM PST

Idk if it's just me, but it's very annoying to play PL with that option selected. Every time you lance someone, it will select that illusion automatically. And you'll most likely be right clicking to move yourself and the spirit lance will move with you.

It's just easier and better to keep the option off.

submitted by /u/FruitloopsXD
[link] [comments]

Tips on making friends in DOTA2?

Posted: 09 Dec 2017 10:47 PM PST

how do you play death prophet this patch? do you build bottle?

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 01:11 AM PST

have a bit of difficulty with death prophet mid, dp is similar to lina in that they are both casters but for lina i know how to play around the powerspike of bloodstone, i know i can take over and then gank the sidelanes if i do well, i haven't got the same feeling from death prophet yet when i get my euls, should i be making something else first? Kaya possibly? Should i build bottle or skip it? You don't get access to the bounty runes as easily in this patch and my teammates might take them from me anyway, what can i get as an alternative to bottle? Arcanes?

submitted by /u/-VwO-
[link] [comments]

How to play kotl as a safelane support?

Posted: 09 Dec 2017 09:20 PM PST

Generally I love the hero as a dual offlane support, since with another strong offlane hero I can usually crush the lane with the illuminate spam and infinite mana for me and my lane partner.

However, playing him as a support in the safelane feels a lot different - considering I have other things to do like stacking, pulling, bounty runes, etc. Tbh I play him a lil bit like CM where I just stack and farm jungle camps, but then I feel like I'm giving up the ability to harass the offlaner, which is also hard 'cause often I end up hitting creeps and pushing the wave.

So the question is - should I focus more on stacking and pulling (since kotl is effective at consistently stacking 2 camps at once, and then farming them for easy gold/exp) or should I sit in lane and keep throwing illuminates at the offlaner? Another thing I'm unsure about is whether Kotl is a pos 4 or a 5 - if I'm the safelne support I naturally assume 5 but at the same time due to my farming ability it seems extremely tempting to play a bit greedy and not buy all the wards in favour of a faster aghs or something.

submitted by /u/EL3kTr1C
[link] [comments]

dealing with shadow shaman wards?

Posted: 09 Dec 2017 11:59 PM PST

i just had a game where i was vs a shadow shaman mid, he just waited till he got his ult and then went to the sidelanes and used it to take towers, my teammates wouldn't or couldnt right click the wards, in some cases they just got tower dived.

i took the mid tower quickly when i noticed he left but i couldn't do anything past that, my team wasn't very coordinated, wouldn't group, didn't defend until the enemy is at the tower and took half of its health down etc, what could i do in this situation solo? I was playing dp.

I guess you should try trading towers, but i can't do that if theres multiple people in the lane defending and my team wont come with me or are dead.

submitted by /u/-VwO-
[link] [comments]

How did we win this?

Posted: 09 Dec 2017 11:26 PM PST

https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/3609396370

I just played this game right now (I'm the Crystal Maiden). We were off to a horrible start (like 1 - 10) and somehow we managed to comeback, however I cannot for the life of me figure out how we managed to do so.

One thing that may have had something to do with it was that I decided to go an early medallion/solar crest so that we can take rosh early but I would like to convert these bad openings into wins more often.

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/Legend28469
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.