Civilization - Throwback to when I thought this achievement had a deadline


Throwback to when I thought this achievement had a deadline

Posted: 09 Dec 2017 11:21 PM PST

Looks like they used this photo as a reference for Wilhelmina. Still, face could be a little less fat and a bit older.

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 11:58 AM PST

When all the restarting finally pays off

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 05:07 PM PST

hmm

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 02:56 PM PST

Am excited to see my knight ride into battle with his 100ft lance.

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 01:21 PM PST

Everytime I want to play as a pacifist...

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 11:42 AM PST

Civ V rated #18 game on Steam of all time

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 07:28 AM PST

Rate my Petra 1-10

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 10:55 AM PST

Hmmm

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 02:58 AM PST

My theory: Rise & Fall leaders will be ones who played a pivotal role in their country's rise after a dark age

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 02:10 AM PST

At the time of writing only Korea and The Netherlands are known civs for Rise & Fall, but for both civs Firaxis did not go for a wildly successful leader. I do see interesting similarities between Queen Wilhelmina and Seondeok. For Korea I refer to /u/Ethnicity-Ambiguous his great post, but for Wilhelmina I can only write what I learned during history in high school.

Wilhelmina was queen during the World War II. Holland was an easy victim to Germany's Blitzkrieg. The country was conquered within days and after the bombing of Rotterdam, The Dutch surrendered to Germany. The royal family fled abroad, with an emergency government in London.

From London the Dutch emergency government worked closely with the British government to keep a resistance movement alive in The Netherlands. The most famous part of their efforts must have been Radio Oranje, aired by the BBC every day at 9 in the morning. The Dutch were not allowed to own radios, so even the act of listening to this radio show was an act of resistance. The broadcasts were used to encourage the Dutch to keep hope and was used to send coded messages to resistance fighters and warn people for incoming bombardments by the Allies.

So this is the Civ leader were are getting: a queen who fled her own country, had to work with other countries to get anything done and could only return to her country after the Canadians freed The Netherlands. Compared to William of Orange? Not much of a world power who will stand the test of time and all that, right?

But here is my theory on why Firaxis has selected her to lead the Netherlands: she fits in perfectly with the themes from Rise & Fall. She was the leader of The Netherlands during a Dark Age and then brought it to a Golden Age. Because after World War II The Netherlands turned into an economic powerhouse. The Germans have their Wirtschaftswunder, but the Dutch did quite well for themselves: rebuilding Rotterdam into the biggest harbour of the world, exploiting natural resources in Groningen and building the Delta Works.

I think that we will learn about lesser known leaders who have put the pieces into place for their successors to lead their country into a new golden age. As an example, Extra History just made an episode on Khosrau, that guy fits in perfectly with the Rise & Fall theme.

*edit: sources/additional reading https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Oranje https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernhard_van_Lippe-Biesterfeld#De_prins_tijdens_de_Tweede_Wereldoorlog https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelmina_der_Nederlanden

submitted by /u/Orientalism
[link] [comments]

If you were stuck on an island, what would you bring?

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 03:46 PM PST

Game Glitch: Dark Shadow

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 01:10 PM PST

Did anyone expect the new leaders NOT to be caricatures?

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 06:07 PM PST

Most of the existing leaders range from stereotypes to outright caricatures. We shouldn't have expected the new leaders to be any more accurate.

submitted by /u/GhostBirdofPrey
[link] [comments]

Shaka what the HELL?????

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 10:14 AM PST

Contemporary Civ Leaders

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 06:42 PM PST

I don't post on this sub much - more of a lurker - so I hope this type of post is allowed.

I was fairly unaware of who Queen Wilhelmina was until her reveal as the new leader of the Netherlands. She's pretty contemporary, having served as Queen during WW2 and only passing away in 1962. That would make her the most recent leader to be alive, as Ghandi and Curtin both passed in the 40s (Unless I'm forgetting someone).

This makes sense. The days of empires and kingdoms has passed. But it got me thinking. Who would be the most contemporary leader Civilization might include?

My best guess, and it's a little far out, would be Nelson Mandela, as a leader of a South African civ. Maybe not in 6, but down the road. It's an unique Civ that they haven't ever done, plus Mandela could be an interesting play-style.

More realistically, I could see it being the leader of the rumoured Canadian civ. Sure, Sir John A would be the obvious choice, but the Civ6 leaders haven't always been the obvious ones. Perhaps MacKenzie King, Pearson or even Pierre Trudeau.

Thoughts on future contemporary leaders?

submitted by /u/StratfordAvon
[link] [comments]

Painting: Askia Mohammad

Posted: 09 Dec 2017 09:48 PM PST

Netherlands meant to be revealed or no?

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 10:19 AM PST

Do you guys think they planned on revealing the Netherlands this week? Or another week? You think if they had a different Civ planned for this week they will announce Netherlands instead?

submitted by /u/Finances1212
[link] [comments]

I just had the realization that settling directly on tea is really strong

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 05:55 AM PST

You get a great boost to science early game, without having to sacrifice production by actually working the tea tile. Am I correct in my thinking? Are there any downsides of settling right on tea, or any other luxury resource for that matter? Is it just correct to go out of your way to settle on them? Anybody else have small tips like this?

submitted by /u/Ixionas
[link] [comments]

I see alot of Petra love here... but no Ruhr Valley. Here's my best Ruhr Valley next to a meh Petra.

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 05:41 PM PST

By the time these Ancient walls finish building they’ll be Ancient.

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 07:28 PM PST

[Civ 5] Why am I so garbage late game?

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 09:02 AM PST

I play with a group of friends a lot over the week and I always get the important early wonders, Great Library, Oracle, Hanging Gardens, etc. I rush education and penicillin. Usually am #1 if not a close #2 by the modern era.

I usually found a city in jungle by a mountain for that sweet science, and I focus majority of my resources on food and science after the early wonder rush. I also take up the majority of the science wonders.

Somehow in the late game I always screw up and my friend, (Who is a beast at this game), takes a huge lead, EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I feel like I do everything right but I still lack in the science department even when I focus all my energy on boosting science. What can I do mid/late game to help with the final science push?

submitted by /u/TexasIz4reel
[link] [comments]

Is there a switzerland map or an alps map for civ 6 anywhere?

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 10:29 AM PST

I've been reading Frankenstein lately, and I love how beautiful that region is, what with the mountains and lakes and glaciers.

submitted by /u/blidachlef
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.