True Gaming What are some epic gaming setpieces/stages that remain vivid in your memory? How did they achieve that level of excellence? (SPOILERS)


What are some epic gaming setpieces/stages that remain vivid in your memory? How did they achieve that level of excellence? (SPOILERS)

Posted: 22 Nov 2017 09:50 AM PST

Disclaimer: There will inevitably be spoilers for a discussion centered around this topic. Tread lightly!

I just beat Horizon Zero Dawn. It was a fun experience - gorgeous visuals, polished gameplay and likeable characters. However, looking back on it, I'd be hard-pressed to find a particular level or setpiece that really stood out to me as spectacular. There were some memorable ones like meeting and taking down a Thunderjaw for the first time but by and large it's nothing I will likely remember a couple of years from now.

This got me thinking back to some of my best gaming experiences, specifically single levels, stages or setpieces that really stand out, and how they managed to do this. Some of the ones I can think of that immediately come to mind:

  • The final mission of Mass Effect 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CW7g5R3w-U - this is easily one of THE greatest gaming experiences of my life. You spent the entire game recruiting your army, getting to know and build relationships with them and earning their trust through combat, and now it's the final test of that experience. Not to mention the fate of humanity hanging in the balance. The stakes are high, not only because the Reapers are threatening humanity, but because the lives of your friends hang in the balance. You don't want any of them to die. The level gets harder and harder and then when you're escaping, and that glorious soundtrack comes in - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTsD2FjmLsw - it's transcendent.

  • Defeating the Phalanx in Shadow of the Colossus - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRyH_u5l3LQ - SOTC is FILLED with these glorious moments but the encounter with the 13th colossus is the one that stands out to me the most. The location definitely plays a part - up uintil now most of the Colossi have been located in misty forests or desolate fields, all covered by the overcast sky. This one is a little different - the sky is a little brighter, the environment not has bleak, and the Colossus itself is downright serene. At no point does it present a danger to you - it's content to just float around and do its thing. It's a study in contrasts that imo this was the most fun colossi to defeat, yet also the one that left me the most melancholy. The battle (it's more of a murder, really) is astounding - this giant, mystical flying creature floating through the air and you desperately trying to cling onto it and kill it...for reasons. It takes on almost mythic proportions and then its over after you kill it. SOTC tried to convey a mix of exhilaration and loss throughout and imo no other battle represented those emotions better than this one

  • Ellie meets the giraffe in The Last of Us - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfapMy-mIXo - This is a very popular choice for threads like these and it's not hard to see why. By itself it seems fairly innocuous - teenager meets cute animal, big deal. But the context is what makes this scene so powerful. You just spent the last few hours fighting through a grueling onslaught of monsters, human and otherwise. There was blood, violence and death, your characters are physically and emotionally drained in a world that seems to be full of nothing but misery and doom. And then to come across a scene like this, seeing the purity of nature fight through the cracks of a man-made hell, was beautiful. "Life finds a way"

These are ones I can think of for now, would love to see what everyone else has

submitted by /u/fabrar
[link] [comments]

Who is the king of the metroidvania genre?

Posted: 22 Nov 2017 10:04 AM PST

Some of the common names I hear on this subject are Super metroid, Hollow knight, Axiom verge and SOTN.

Has Super metroid really be de-throned, or does it stand tall amongst the others years later?

Tell me what you all think, some critical analysis would be great and all opinions are excepted, so tell me your thoughts on the subject

submitted by /u/ToDamCynical
[link] [comments]

How will F2P games be affected by lootbox legislation?

Posted: 22 Nov 2017 12:07 PM PST

How will free to play games be affected by the lootbox controversy that is currently playing out?

Some smaller games like Robocraft and Paladins have lootboxes as part of the economy that keeps them running.

It also seems kind of interesting how a game like World of Tanks would be unaffected despite having a business model that arguably more exploitative than most F2P lootbox games.

submitted by /u/Sikuq
[link] [comments]

Looking for a game - Quest of my life

Posted: 22 Nov 2017 11:50 AM PST

Hi everyone !

I am currently looking for a game (and have been for almost 2 years) which combine different aspects of finance (like being the CEO of a major company, trading, hedge fund...) but the only things i've come close to are some online trading simulation (wallstreetsurvivor and co) or a new game on steam (Wall Street Junior).

I'm interested in a game with a real aspect of the "high-financial world" with being the CEO of a huge business, runing a hedge fund, bying start up...

If you have any suggestions, i would be really glad to hear about them.

PS : I'm not an absolute fan of the whole tycoon experience

PS : allready tried SIMCITY, ROLLERCOASTER TYCOON and other mainstream tycoon games :)

Thanks a lot

submitted by /u/MammouthSerge
[link] [comments]

How many games do you typically play at the same time?

Posted: 22 Nov 2017 10:55 AM PST

Lately I've been finding myself cycling through multiple games whereas before I used to power through one game at a time until i completed it. I'm finding that this multi-game approach has its pros and cons. It's good because you get a pretty awesome variety of different gameplay mechanics, visual design and narratives and it prevents you from burning out on any one game. on the other hand though, I feel that i may not necessarily be as fully immersed into the world of any one game since I'm moving through multiple ones. For example, right now I'm splitting my time time between AC Origins, Borderlands 2, X-COM 2, Nioh and Stardew Valley and really enjoying all of them. At the same time, I feel like I probably won't really "master" any of them either - if that's something that matters to most people.

Do you guys play one or multiple games at a time?

submitted by /u/fabrar
[link] [comments]

New Gamer to PC

Posted: 22 Nov 2017 09:58 AM PST

Hey,

I'm a new to gaming on pc and its been great so far. I don't know much about playing on pc. I am learning a lot and figuring it out myself is really fun. I have a Cyberpowerpc. I know some people say its not the best, but I just wanted to start out with something. I wanted to build my own but I don't know anything on doing that. So far, I have only had one problem with my setup, which is that I need to get a HDMI switch so that I can switch from xbox one to my PC when I want to play eather one. I will try and post pictures of the pc that I have. I don't mind some comments about it, just don't want any aggressive people yelling at me. So hopefully you guys are cool. Thanks.

submitted by /u/jshkohler
[link] [comments]

Could(and should) SC2's CO-OP mode serve as a foundation for Warcraft 4?

Posted: 21 Nov 2017 08:30 PM PST

I was discussing this in the SC2 co-op chat room, but I tried to start a similar discussion on r/games and no one seem interested. I thought maybe try here.

Since Starcraft 2 went F2P I've been playing a ton of SC2 Co-Op Commander mode. For those of you who haven't tried it, it plays a bit more like Dawn of War than a standard game of SC2, Has PVE objectives and a meta progression system where you level up your commander outside of matches. First three commanders are free, and I'd suggest trying it only because it plays differently than you might expect and quite hard to explain.

  • Its a fun mode.
  • Its SC2's most popular mode( more than versus & arcade combined)
  • it has built in micro transactions/dlc through new commanders
  • Its very simple and bare-bones, but could clearly be expanded upon (gear, talent trees, conquest map, etc)
  • Translating and expanding the mode (really expanding the rpg progression) would fit the Warcraft universe perfectly (much better than Starcraft).
  • I assume Warcraft heroes would be more popular commanders. I sense that Thrall is way more known than say Karax

The more I play, the more I keep thinking again and again "They could do this with Warcraft heroes and it could really work, and they'd make good money." Not hearthstone money, but more than D3, SC2, and maybe more than HotS.

This may sound silly, but I have a sneaking suspicion, if its making as much money in SC2 as I think it is(half the people I play with have dlc commanders)... they might(25% chance) already be doing it as a basis of Warcraft 4. Its a baseless claim, but they've been so burned before by ignoring DoTA that they'd be hyper sensitive to this potential.

I'm curious, have you tried SC2's co-op mode? Do you think it would make more sense in a Warcraft setting? Do you think Warcraft heroes/villains would be more popular than starcraft commanders? Do you think it would make for the basis of a full fledged game? Do you think this is a game Blizzard would make? Would you like them to, or would it disappoint you?

submitted by /u/EternalArchon
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.