True Gaming I think The Witcher 3 is a great game but I couldn't finish it


I think The Witcher 3 is a great game but I couldn't finish it

Posted: 23 Nov 2017 05:38 PM PST

I really like TW3, the environment is gorgeous, combat is engaging, most side quests are well written and memorable. However I was never able to bring myself to play it for longer sessions. I always feel a bit disheartened after playing TW3. The world is dark and hostile, there are monsters lurking around every corner waiting to tear you up. Every minor NPC is either petty, murderous or miserable. Even the main characters all live in their struggles. Most of the quests though well written, usually turn out to reveal something extremely unsettling or heart wrenching.

I'm not sure if it's me getting older. All of these added up felt like a heavy weight on me. I play games to temporarily escape from mundane and sometimes depressing reality, not to immerse in another miserable world.

Thinking about it, other games also have hostile and depressing world settings. But you usually play as a hero or some one fighting to become stronger and more impactful over time. But Geralt is suppose to be neutral and although he's superhumanly good at fighting, many of his actions/choices feel futile as the outcome is often horrible no matter what he chose. For me personally, the setting of the world and Geralt as the protagonist, is what gave this game life and making it unbearable to play at the same time.

EDIT:

wow I didn't expect so many comments. I just tried to pick it up today but couldn't continue after just one side quest. Thought I'd share a bit more.

To be more specific on my experience today (without spoilers), I came back to the game after putting it down for weeks. I flipped through my quest log and decided to pick a side quest that's several levels under, thought it would be a breeze and ease me into the game. Oh how wrong I was. It was a investigation of missing person/potential murder, which turned out everyone involved was either victim, evil or unknowingly committed horrible crime. I decided to do the right thing, which ended up every NPC involved were dead. Some deserved it, others I couldn't say. Although I was way over leveled, I still had to go into some really dark places for investigation and got jumped on which was very tense. After the whole thing I happen to be near the sea, the morning sun was coming up. So I decided to walk up to the beach to enjoy the view for a change. But it quickly became stormy and my witcher sense showed there were monsters lurking on the beach and in the water. That's when I decided it was too much and closed the game.

This is with 5.1 virtual surround headset and immersive HUD mod, which made the experience much more immersive. If you are into TW3 I highly recommend them.

submitted by /u/roylv22
[link] [comments]

What makes a good open world game? And what is up with making games open world to begin with?

Posted: 24 Nov 2017 11:39 AM PST

While I am one for open world games do games really need it? Do developers use open world as a crutch or do they use it as a benchmark to show how powerful the system can render graphics and distances Etc. I used to love back in the PS2 era when open world games were scarce.

But now, has it saturated the market? And what is the quality of a good open world game I know it can be character building, the amount or lack thereof main missions and side quest, art style, or difficulty. But what really makes it good, what are some personal touches on different open world games that get you engrossed?

submitted by /u/the_DashingPickle
[link] [comments]

I love the Witcher 3 a lot but the story and its characters always makes me feel like I should have knowledge of the books before playing it.

Posted: 24 Nov 2017 09:44 AM PST

Witcher 3 is fantastic in a lot of ways and it is deserving of its praise however playing through the story for me feels like I am missing something or some piece of information that was in a book.

In Witcher 3 you are introduced to two characters Yennifer and Ciri they are both really awesome characters in their own right. I find that however with Yennifer we are led to believe she and Geralt are long lost lovers and how she is her true love but it never fells that way maybe its because they waited until the games where drawing to a conclusion to set this romance up in game but it feels like we don't have any time with Yennifer and Geralt before hand that would make players believe this and ultimately the choice to make Yennifer your permanent lover is such a whatever choice because we never see them in love before Geralt looses his memory in game.

Ciri is new and she is great to but it feels like we never much of her character and her hard relationship with Geralt is talked about but we never see her struggle in previous games and it makes their reunion a bit weird because we were only introduced to Ciri early on in the Witcher 3 then were told all the hard ships she had to endure and that was that it feels emotionally void.

Does anyone else feel this way also?

submitted by /u/TheOldBlood16
[link] [comments]

I Need Game Suggestions...

Posted: 24 Nov 2017 01:20 PM PST

Warning: I did not do a tl;dr because i couldn't really find a way to summarize the important parts without making it too long, so if you don't want to read it all, that's fine you won't hurt my feelings.

I am in need of new games to play, so your suggestions would be nice to have. I have a strange taste in games to where I will like a game, but hate another game that is almost the exact same. Maybe this is because the other game is legitimately bad, but I see this trend a lot.

For a little info regarding my "taste" in games, I like the following genres; Narrative, Sci-Fi, Shooter, Action, Survival, Horror, Action, Adventure, Variety, Multiplayer,

And Just to name a few, these are some genres I don't like, Linear, "Cheesy" type games (so bad they're good), Medieval, Short,

I especially enjoy games with plenty of variety and options because some games are a little expensive for me right now, and if i can find one to keep me busy for a while, That would be very helpful.

Here's some games I like Overwatch, Gmod, Call of duty (the good ones), Titanfall 2, Terraria, The Last of Us, Left for Dead, Alien Isolation, Evil within, Rainbow Six, Enter the Gungeon, Old Halo Games, Borderlands,

I have a PS4 and a good Pc so suggest away!

submitted by /u/__slothy
[link] [comments]

Do you refuse to buy a game because of the protagonist?

Posted: 24 Nov 2017 01:59 AM PST

For me the classic examples are Watch Dogs and The Witcher. I've had issues with The Witcher for years. Making a card game out of the digital women you've slept with (W2?) is just pathetic, imo. I don't like the protagonist at all. I don't identify with him and so it puts me of the game when he's acting like a shit.

As for Aiden Pearce. What an utter cock. I can't think of any others right now but it also makes me want to hark (back?) to the gravelly voice marines you see in every shooter. Almost.

For example. Garrett (Thief 1,2 + 3) is not an especially nice person but as the story unfolds you realise he's the best of a bad bunch. That I can identify with.

This has read as much like rant than a post but hey ho.

submitted by /u/ClandestineMovah
[link] [comments]

How did you enter gaming culture? [Including a random, long story about how I entered gaming culture... :P]

Posted: 24 Nov 2017 07:36 AM PST

For the record, I wasn't sure where to post this... If this isn't the place please let me know.

I'd like to hear personal stories about how games entered your life and maybe even what effect they had on the course of your life - if any.

Here's my story - you don't have to read it:

When I was like three or four we went to visit an old family friend in the Kruger Park and she had a computer that had games on it - PacMan is the only one I remember. So, I spent that whole visit playing just PacMan. A shame when I think back to it... Because there was a ton of cool nature-related stuff that I could have done instead... She was a park ranger, so I really shot myself in the foot just gaming that whole visit. But I don't regret playing PacMan then because it changed my life.

After that, when we got home, my parents got one of those weak, old PCs for some reason... I think mom used it for typing or something... I'm not really sure. We maybe even had it before that visit and I never even noticed it XD, but I started noticing the computer more after that visit. Then my parents subscribed me to this educational game collection called Learning Land.

If I think back - it may have happened like that because of the PacMan incident. I may have asked my parents for a video-game after playing PacMan and then they did research into it. They may have gotten the typical propaganda: "VIDEO-GAMES ARE EVIL" and opted for a safer, educational option instead... So, maybe it didn't all happen at random like I think it did. But I don't remember asking them - so maybe they just saw I liked games and got me some... I was four years old, so I'm not sure... Anyway!

I remember I wasn't sure if I wanted it and/or liked it or not, so then dad installed it for me and sat next to me and showed me what it looked like. He didn't really understand the interface though, so, he couldn't navigate the game software beyond just sort of showing me the screen and saying "This is what it looks like...". The graphics looked cool, to a four-year-old, so I decided to give this "game" a try. And I ended up really liking it and learnt a great deal from it - my English vocabulary, my spelling (which was maybe a bad thing that ended up confusing me because the game was American and our spelling in school was British...), my knowledge of biology, my knowledge of safety protocols in life... :) There was mathematics too, but I really struggled with it in spite of the game helping me, I've never been great with numbers - I'm amazing with variables but I suck with numbers... :(

I collected that series of games (they came out once a month) and played those games until late into primary school... Like grade 5-ish? Maybe even later. But I knew there were different, real, non-educational games out there because I saw them in stores, and at other kids' houses.

I had this one friend; through my parents; who I regularly had scheduled playdates with - her name was Angelique. One evening, when I was staying over at her place, I saw her dad doing something cool on the PC with cool graphics... It was an OLD game - hmmm, I guess at the time it was new... But now it is an OOOOLD game. It involved the player in an alien world and, as the player, you had to find and save/free these human children that the aliens caught and kept in cages. Or at least, that is what the game looked like to me. The mechanics were sneaking and shooting, and the perspective was first-person. I wanted to join in the play at the time but it wasn't my friend's game, it was her father's game - and the vibe in the house was kinda "This isn't a game for kids". Which was true, you shot aliens and there was blood or slime... either way it was gruesome. I didn't want to be rude - or get in trouble, so I let it go and just watched. XD

Whenever my parents and I went to a computer store, CNA or Musica I would see these AMAZING-looking games. I first one I can remember, I saw in a Musica in Pietersburg (the nearest city-like community near where we stay in rural South Africa). It was American McGee's Alice - a now infamous video-game. It fascinated me, it looked challenging and dark - just generally interesting. But mom wouldn't get it for me because it was a violent, evil, devil-looking game. Which it really is XD it is most certainly not a game for kids XD And honestly as an adult now I would not have bought it for mini-me either XD

But that is where I started noticing that my suspicions were correct; that games were not just this small thing but a relatively big and growing culture somewhere out there in the world. And that the games I was playing weren't really what that culture considered "games".

In time, mom allowed me to get a non-educational game though. We were at Incredible Connection (also in Pietersburg) and I spent my time looking at the games there and asked if I could get one. She said I could pick any of the Barbie games, the others looked inappropriate for my age - which they probably were... So I got Barbie: Pet Rescue, Barbie: Detective 2 and Barbie: Riding Club XD And they were fun - don't judge me okay... They weren't something to write home about, but they weren't chicken crap either.

The Barbie games were bad though, with very basic mechanics and not much of a learning curve. They were also fairly sexist, in both directions. But the puzzles were fun - the first time you did them.

But this still wasn't REAL games, and I knew it.

In the meantime, I had made another friend and we got so close that I visited her frequently. Her family had an old DOS gaming machine on which we played Prince of Persia and Lemmings... and some... spy game... They had three other machines too, one was hers and one was her brother's. Her brother had a bunch of cool games like AoE, AoM, Stronghold, Heroes of Might and Magic IV, Ghost Recon and Medal of Honour. He was also subscribed to these computer magazines that used to be popular before the internet really became the thing it is today. These magazines usually included demo CDs with demos of the latest games. So, through the demo CDs, I got exposed to a little bit more of the bigger picture of this massive world of gaming culture that was just beyond my physical reach.

Through these CDs, I was first introduced to many of the classics like Magic: The Gathering, HalfLife, SystemShock, Quake, Carmegedon, Abe's Oddysee and Uru: Mysts. But these were only demos, to this day I haven't finished many of these games and only understand a thread of the actual cultural knowledge related to playing it.

One day, on my birthday, my dad took me to CNA and said I could choose any game I wanted. I had always looked through the games when mom and dad went to CNA - and they always looked like so much fun. So, I was VERY excited. There wasn't a wide variety at the store but I didn't know that at the time XD I thought it was a large selection because I had nothing bigger to compare it too XD - MUCH later on, when we got the internet at home and I was allowed to use it, I learnt that there were thousands if not millions of games out there - but this only happened MUCH later.

On that day at CNA, I ended up picking The Sims: Unleashed (the pets expansion) because it looked like a healthy, non-violent type of game that my parents would approve of. XD

In the car, all excited about my first REAL game, I started to read the packaging and noticed the word "expansion" pop up a lot... It took me a few minutes and reading through the booklet to realize I needed a base/core game to play this precious thing that I had just gotten. :( The store wouldn't let us swap the games and it was too expensive to buy both the base game and its expansion at once. So... dad took me to this little store (I DON'T KNOW HOW HE KNEW ABOUT THIS STORE) and he said he could get me the base game there for much cheaper.

The guy at the store gave me a catalogue to flip through and there were names and ID codes of a bunch of games. It looked very impressive but without pictures accompanying the names and IDs, I had NO idea what was what. I got the Sims base game for R50 or something like that. But it didn't come in a fancy, colourfully printed casing like the game we had bought at CNA.

It was in a normal CD container with the game's cover printed onto it out of proportion, cropped, and in black and white. Something felt off but the guy was super friendly with me and dad was super chill - so I didn't think much of it and hell it was quite a discount. [If you haven't figured it out yet, they were pirating games and selling bootleg copies for cheap XD] The game was so cheap now that dad said I could have another one. SO - I looked through the list of random names and IDs that meant nothing to me and picked Shrek 2 The PC Game... Because I was a kid, and because Shrek. This was about grade seven.

These were my first REAL games - a kiddies action game and a life simulator - not exactly REAL games by other people's standards but a lot closer to it than my previous experiences. And I loved them I played both those games until they broke. :P

The friend I mentioned (with the brother) and I, both took a liking to the Sims and started buying each other the Sims expansion packs for our birthdays until we had collected them all. I played all there is to play in The Sims and its expansions, so, it was time for something new. I was older now, so I could go for something more mature. I got Tomb Raider: Legend from CNA - there wasn't really a choice it was literally the only thing in the games section of the store at that time. It had something to do with Tomb Raider being popular and specifically with Tomb Raider: Legend being a long awaited and talked about release - I found that out later as well. XD

Tomb Raider: Legend was completely different from Shrek 2 and The Sims... It was intense, exciting and in your face - it didn't coddle you the way kiddies games did. In this game, if you didn't shape up you died. It was far more challenging than anything I had played before. I loved it, the gymnastics, the mechanics, all of it, but I especially loved the exploring parts - it didn't have much exploration to give but you could explore levels to find hidden artefacts and that was right in my ballpark. I finished Tomb Raider: Legend with my friend Angelique. We played it together; taking turns when the other person died or gave up.

Then came the biggest moment in my life of game-play: My other friend's brother got this popular, new game called Oblivion (The Elder Scrolls IV)... and it... BLEW-MY-MIND-AWAY! It was an open world of high fantasy and exploration, where you could role-play as anything within the fantasy world of Nirn and there was rich, deep lore and intricate, sub-defined plots and the mechanics and game-play were so individually customizable and it looked amazing and-and-and!!!! I played that game at my friend's house on her PC more than she and her brother played it XD It was the product that opened my eye to what games are capable of: I could create worlds with games.

Some time passed... maybe a year or two, and I had circulated back to being close friends with Angelique - we grew far apart after our toddler years and then in reconnected in high school. Around this time grandma bought me my first REAL... dark... SERIOUS (serious face) game - Might and Magic: Dark Messiah. I almost exploded with excitement when I got it because I had started reading gaming magazines by then and it got a grand review. :3 People were buzzing about this game and I had it!!! :D

But... it turns out my potato PC at the time didn't have the graphical power to play it :( which is really funny now because it's graphics are not that impressive, but ya... So, I had to let it go and trade it for something else. I can't remember what exactly I traded it for... Some other game... It's hard to remember the runner-up to the winner in these cases, you know?

I was nearing the end of high school now (grade 10ish) and I had decided to become a game-maker. I knew nothing about coding... or graphics making... or (fucking) anything. I was just a small-town kid with big dreams :/ Ya - that kind...

All I could do at the time was build custom maps and stories in the HoMM IV editor and I enjoyed that. :3

We got the internet not too long after that and it flued my fire. I tried teaching myself to code and to 3D model off the online resources I could find - note there weren't as many and as cheap and/or free resources on the net in 2011 as there is now... Or maybe I just didn't know how to find them yet... Anyhoo, my self-study wasn't going well so I decided to find a teacher to teach me these skills. I signed up for game-design as a specialized course at a university... and that was my first mistake. I figured they'd teach me the practical skills I wanted (which they don't universities teach theory), or if they didn't teach me the skills that I'd at least be on par with the other students and learn and grow with them, at the same rate. This was not the case, most of them had been living in the culture their whole young lives - so their understanding of everything was just smoother and deeper than mine - and on top of that many of them had gained skills at their schools in the city that my schools didn't even consider as a subject. I kept lagging behind because for every step I took they had already taken that step and were taking two new ones. I just remained steps behind everyone else.

After three years at varsity I met a boy who was very into gaming - kinda like me, he showed me Steam. I already had and knew about Steam because I used it to buy a rare game a few years before. But I only had that one game on there and I was cautious of online purchases. He showed me Steam's full potential in terms of allowing the gaming community to communicate and play together. He also introduced me to 9GAG and Reddit. I was much impressed.

He taught me about Minecraft and CS: GO and Battlefield (the history and present I mean). But things didn't last, things between him and me didn't work out and things weren't working out at work and things weren't working out at school. So, when he dumped me I just got sick and exhausted of struggling to do well and repeatedly fucking up - and I dropped out and went home to my parents.

In my time back at home, I found another boy online. He was different from the previous one. He was more into DnD and tabletop games, and fantasy, strategy games than FPS war-sims. He taught me about DoTA(2) and a bunch of JRPGs with complex names... and WoW, it was the first time I played WoW. I liked it.

I liked this guy way more than the first guy, he was a hell of a lot smarter and more into the same kinds of stuff as me. He even knew way more about the stuff I liked then I did. :D He was just a generally nice guy. But after a year of a mostly online relationship, he decided that I wasn't the right one for him and left too.

And that's where I am now.

Games make up the biggest part of my life. So, I'm going back to varsity next year, and I know I won't do well, and I'll be lonely, and I probably won't gain the skills to be my peers' equal but I need to finish the degree. And then get a job... any job really at this point. And maybe one day, before I die, I'll have gathered what I need to build the world I've wanted to build since high school. :)

(End of my story :) Now tell me yours please)

submitted by /u/AssFaceBurger
[link] [comments]

I did not like EA's schemes on their latest game but we should realise that greed sells and this is the hard truth

Posted: 24 Nov 2017 03:02 AM PST

I am agaisnt EA's use of monetisation and insidious deeds to grab some extra money off of our wallets.

But there is a cold truth that I think we should all accept - greed sells and as long as there is a capitalistic society, greed is the kind of thing that keeps the economy going.

I know that not all gaming companies have greedy acts like CD Projekt gave us a full game and expansion packs that are full games too, and Naughty Dog gives us full games and the DLC are all full games of their own.

But in a capitalistic world, if the business companies had the oppurtunity to get every single cent in your wallet and make you poor, they will gladly do it (but of course, there are legal and ethical boundaries)

Heck, I will be honest. As much as EA is getting a very bad image, something that all companies should take into account, I think many comapnies are envious of their deeds because that is the job of a business - gather as much money as they can and many companies (not all of them) have been doing this for years

How many times have we been tricked that we are being promised extra content like more clothes or more accessories, or we were wowed because this jacket has a specific brand which costs way more but getting that feels like something valuable even though it is pratically the same as every other product (like a Beats speakers or a Beats headphones that costs way more than your average headphones because it has the brand)?

How many times we have fallen for the microtransactions or the loot boxes because we wanted that extra gun or because a famous Youtuber has done it and we want to do it too because we want to be as cool as him (or her)?

Gaming companies and plenty of other companies have been getting away with plenty of greedy schemes for a long, long time, even though there are companies out there that try to avoid doing such schemes.

But since these kinds of schemes get them more money, they will gladly keep on doing it and there are so many insidious schemes that we, the customers, are not aware of but these tiny schemes or tricks promise them just some extra bit of money.

I do not like this either. I do not like it that there is a fine line between greed and making a business but we all should know that greed is what keeps the company going and keeps getting the money that is needed to get the economy going and keep the company going from being bankrupt and have the money that is needed to produce even more products (and hopefully better ones) in the future.

submitted by /u/sammyjamez
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.