The Legend of Zelda - BoTW Daily Questions Thread: Ask questions and get help! - May 16, 2017


BoTW Daily Questions Thread: Ask questions and get help! - May 16, 2017

Posted: 16 May 2017 06:09 AM PDT

The new queue has many questions being asked so here's a daily megathread to help your question not get lost. You're more than welcome to continue to make threads with questions. Please try and help users by answering their questions!

Questions could have spoilers in them! BEWARE ALL THOSE WHO ENTER! Minor spoilers will be below about weapons, bosses, locations, etc. But someone might ask a question regarding a moment that has happened you have not experienced. So please know what you're entering.

Tips and Tricks Megathread

Want tips and tricks? Read all the tips and tricks provided by you, the users. Or submit your own.

Spoiler policy

>> Read the spoiler policy here. <<

TL;DR: Major locations/temples and major character names will be allowed in titles with the release of the game. Titles still must be vague and cannot divulge storylines. Boss names, dungeon weapons, plot points are not allowed in titles.

Titles must begin with [SPOILERS] when discussing the game or they will be removed.

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

The moment when everything changed...

Posted: 15 May 2017 10:22 PM PDT

I made a bunch of Breath of the Wild character illustrations!

Posted: 16 May 2017 05:44 AM PDT

The *real* moment when everything changed...

Posted: 16 May 2017 03:22 AM PDT

It may not be complete, but I am so proud of it. My collection!

Posted: 15 May 2017 04:51 PM PDT

Learned something new today about Epona

Posted: 16 May 2017 08:36 AM PDT

How I wish traditional Zelda dungeons were incorporated into BotW

Posted: 16 May 2017 12:20 AM PDT

I beat Breath of the Wild last week, 170 hours later. It was glorious. But it also left me feeling a bit flat, like something was missing. Today I realized what was missing from the experience, for me.

Dungeons, or at least the traditional Zelda dungeon, do not exist in the game. I think BotW is missing out on something massive by omitting them.

By "Zelda dungeon," I mean the place where you get an important item for your adventure, after needing to fight enemies, solve puzzles, and face a boss at the end. In my experience there aren't singular places in the game where all of these boxes are ticked:

  • Shrines are strictly puzzle-only and are more of a game you play in safe space rather than a test in a dangerous area.
  • The Divine Beasts don't throw enemies at you, which makes the boss fights a lot easier since there's nothing trying to drain your resources before you get to them.
  • Hyrule Castle has no real puzzles to solve. It's just an (awesome) gauntlet of enemies and exploration.
  • The dungeon "sub-boss" class of enemy (Hinox, Talus, Lynel, Guardian Scouts) is isolated from everything!

What gets me about this is how Aonuma & Co. said they took inspiration from the original NES Zelda to get the series back to its roots as an exploration game. Breath of the Wild does exploration wonderfully, but it's missing the big thing that compelled players to explore in the NES game.

To find the dungeons (and collect the Triforce pieces).

In BotW, it was pretty daunting having to push through unmapped regions to find the towers and Divine Beasts. However, it was still a Point A to Point B job, taking away the aspect of discovery in the NES game that made players figure out everything on their own. I suspect this may have been deliberate, since hiding the big plot points from the player (on the map or line-of-sight) in a world of this size would have made game progression next to impossible.

What they could have done to keep that Legend of Zelda spice was to add traditional dungeons to the map, in addition to the Divine Beasts, to give players a need to explore the non-critical areas of the world for reasons other than exploration's sake or just to find the shrines. These would be the kind of places that could only be discovered through NPC conversations, world-level puzzle solving, or stumbling in front of them via exploration. Inside would be the style of well-designed dungeon we all know and love from the previous games.

Each of the dungeons would be harder than the next difficulty, but you won't know the order of difficulty or how hard one is until you try to get through it. You may need to come back to a dungeon later once you feel courageous (eh?) enough to go for the loot.

The reward for defeating the enemies, puzzles, and sub-boss/boss in these dungeons would be the basic ability buffs we get for different armor sets, only applied to Link permanently regardless of what other armor he's wearing. Attack Up, Defense Up, Stealth Up, (Night) Run Speed, Swim Speed, Climb Speed, Charge Attack Stamina, Guardian Proficiency. There's your eight dungeons right there!

Having these buffs done through quest items instead of through armor exclusively would prevent you having to switch armor mid-battle/mid-climb to get the most out of your abilities, or force you to compromise those abilities in extreme climates. And you'd have to do all the exploring and sleuthing on your own to earn these abilities. Just like the original Zelda!

(Or you'd have to ask a friend for help. Also just like the original Zelda!)

I'm looking forward to the DLC story and dungeon coming at the end of the year. I want to see how the traditional Zelda dungeon model fits in with the open-world exploration model, and what direction that might mean for the Zelda series for the next game. I hope the dungeon idea I have—and Nintendo had in 1986—is a part of future Zelda games!

submitted by /u/WyndiMan
[link] [comments]

[OC] A simple Link art I made.

Posted: 16 May 2017 12:15 AM PDT

Looks like I found myself some Silent Princess

Posted: 16 May 2017 07:27 AM PDT

Favorite Zelda Game?

Posted: 16 May 2017 07:15 AM PDT

I KNOW. THIS HAS PROBABLY BEEN DONE A THOUSAND TIME BUT I AM NEW TO R/ZELDA. I really wanna see what people's favorite game in the franchise and why.

Mine is definitely Wind Waker because of the overall​ game, it's music, it's combat, it's music, it's art style, it's music, the characters and also the music.

submitted by /u/Dzaster79
[link] [comments]

Drew This in Class, is it Any Good?

Posted: 15 May 2017 03:12 PM PDT

Heroes Commute, Too

Posted: 15 May 2017 09:51 AM PDT

Great Deku Tree sculpture finally finished!

Posted: 15 May 2017 02:53 PM PDT

Anyone think that the "Guardian of Hyrule" would be a cool name for Link if he became a vigilante while wearing his Ancient Armor?

Posted: 15 May 2017 08:40 PM PDT

A nameless, faceless, mysterious figure dressed like the ancient Guardians of old who runs around Hyrule protecting the kingdom from Ganon's forces while wielding ancient Guardian technology. If I was good at animation, I'd try to make one about this.

submitted by /u/TheTommohawkTom
[link] [comments]

Have we peaked as far as BOTW Speedruns can go?

Posted: 16 May 2017 07:35 AM PDT

It seems hardly any new submissions have been made in 20-30 days, certainly none to crack the leaderboard

http://www.speedrun.com/botw#Any

How come people are no longer chipping away at it?

submitted by /u/Aiken_Drumn
[link] [comments]

Ri Cosplay as Link

Posted: 15 May 2017 02:59 PM PDT

Another fine addition to my collection

Posted: 16 May 2017 03:16 AM PDT

3D printed Traveler’s Bow from Breath of the Wild

Posted: 16 May 2017 04:17 AM PDT

Jesus Christ someone help me before I launch this GBA across the room (Key Cavern)

Posted: 16 May 2017 05:34 AM PDT

So, I found my boyfriend's old Gameboy Advance with Link's Awakening intact. This is my first run through of the game, as I've never owned a Gameboy in my life.

I'm on level 3-Key Cavern. There is ONE block with a key hole I can't get past and ONE locked door with a key I can't get to. Basically, I had 1 key left and used it on the block with the key hole but there is still a block with a key hole in front of the stairs.

I feel like I've been stuck for weeks. And I can't figure it out.

I'm ready to just give up on the game and find something else to play 😧

submitted by /u/Herpbees
[link] [comments]

[BOTW] Roasted Spicy Peppers Create Updrafts anywhere

Posted: 15 May 2017 01:55 PM PDT

Top 5 Favorite Armor Sets - Breath of The Wild

Posted: 16 May 2017 07:28 AM PDT

[OC] I drew a thing. Everybody's favorite dorf, Ganondorf.

Posted: 16 May 2017 01:13 AM PDT

I need this Guardian-looking guitar for my BOTW cover band!

Posted: 16 May 2017 06:50 AM PDT

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.