Civilization - I figured this sub might like my capital's harbor


I figured this sub might like my capital's harbor

Posted: 19 Feb 2017 09:00 AM PST

Civilization VI in a nutshell 2

Posted: 19 Feb 2017 05:14 AM PST

Freeciv WebGL 3D Development Update

Posted: 19 Feb 2017 03:53 AM PST

What is your favorite civ game as of 2017?

Posted: 19 Feb 2017 08:56 AM PST

The largest difference in strategy between Civ V and VI: Production vs Gold

Posted: 19 Feb 2017 01:51 PM PST

First off, I'm not talking about added features such as districts, and civics tree, but the underlying force that determines almost all games: Up to date Military Strength. Regardless of the type of victory you are trying to achieve, you need a good military to defend yourself and/or conquer your enemies.

In Civ 5 if you wanted the strongest military in the game, production was not only essential it was king. If you got into a war with another player, especially in multiplayer, the determining factor was often who could produce more units then they were losing. Gold was secondary. Even if you were losing gold, you could rely significantly on your science to take the blunt of your deficit. You could raise gold by deleting certain units, and even if you had 0 gold and -50 per turn, the game would only delete a maximum of 1 every turn or couple of turns. So you could overcome a deficit by simply producing more than one unit a turn, and maintain a great military to conquer your enemy. Gold and Commerce had thus becomes a bonus and does not become a determining factor, just ask Venice.

In Civ VI production is great, but takes a back seat to gold and commerce. Upgrading units form previous eras is much cheaper, and the consequences of running a deficit are much higher. Even a slight deficit could ruin your military capabilities. The deletion of you units happens every single turn and often starts with the best units, the ones with the highest maintenance. No matter what your production or science is, if your gold per turn is in bad shape you can not maintain a significant military to defend yourself or conquer your enemies. On the flip side if you are generating an immense amount of gold per turn you can easily create the largest military force in the world. The best and most efficient way to build up a military in Civ VI is not to strictly build the up to date units, but to build the units from the previous era and use policies to enhance your production of them. Units from the previous eras are much cheaper to build. Once you have a large amount of them, you can research the up to date military tech and cheaply upgrade all the units with gold then conquer your enemies with ease.

Civ VI puts much more value on commerce than V did. From a historical perspective this is more accurate, for any great civilization (Rome, England, America, etc.) obtained much of their power from trade. While in the real world production and economy are much more intertwined if not interchangeable Civ VI's focus on gold per turn gives us a better and more accurate take on civilizations development throughout history.

submitted by /u/CraftBeerMountaineer
[link] [comments]

Just 1934 turns until I'm out of debt

Posted: 19 Feb 2017 03:02 PM PST

(CIV V) Spain just lost their capital to a city-state on Turn 394

Posted: 19 Feb 2017 05:17 PM PST

I just noticed a really small attention to detail in Civ VI that I really appreciate. Well done Firaxis!

Posted: 19 Feb 2017 06:11 PM PST

I noticed that when I focused on food in one of my cities, all of my farms got greener. I completely ignored food, and all of them turned Brown. On a normal focus, the ones used are green and the ones unused stay brown.

When production is turned off the mines stop working too.

I know it's a little thing, but I really appreciated it.

submitted by /u/Shall-Not-Pass
[link] [comments]

Chernobyl Sarcophagus Should be a World Wonder in Civ VI

Posted: 19 Feb 2017 03:30 PM PST

A good start as Brazil? What madness is this?

Posted: 19 Feb 2017 08:33 AM PST

Most successful city I've had in VI

Posted: 19 Feb 2017 09:11 AM PST

Overkill?

Posted: 19 Feb 2017 01:41 PM PST

50 Population Capital as Dutch!

Posted: 19 Feb 2017 03:27 PM PST

When you played Civ, what did your first city / empire look like? Did it fail spectacularly? Just wondering since I just started playing and I'm pretty shit

Posted: 19 Feb 2017 10:08 AM PST

I don't think Oda is fit to rule...

Posted: 19 Feb 2017 01:43 PM PST

Hey /r/civ, it's my first post (please go easy).

I was playing a game with my friend and decided to be an asshole... you know, like Montezuma. I immediately declared war on my neighbors, tried to research only military tech (I'm a Civ noob), etc.

Needless to say, it failed pretty miserably. My friend had to bail me out every couple of turns with trade agreements, GPT, and the like. I was finally proud when I reached +0 GPT. For the majority of the game, I was at or below -40 GPT.

For context, here's round 275 (1995 AD):

http://imgur.com/aCAMWFb

This was the notification I got the next turn from Oda Nobunaga:

http://imgur.com/icwynM0

I'm not sure if he was serious or just mocking me...

tl;dr - Finally reached +0 GPT after 275 turns of constant war. Next turn, Japan compliments me on my famously strong economy. Not sure what Nobunaga was thinking...

submitted by /u/yoohooinc
[link] [comments]

Early game Aztec question

Posted: 19 Feb 2017 04:57 PM PST

As the Aztecs, in the early game, I like to rush an Eagle Warrior and Bum Rush the AI. Should I try to draw out a war as much as possible to capture more slaves, or should I just try to end it as fast as possible, and capture the enemy capital?

submitted by /u/DragonHeretic
[link] [comments]

US ONLY: Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Complete Edition for USD 5

Posted: 19 Feb 2017 05:52 PM PST

Is anyone else really bad at Civ VI?

Posted: 19 Feb 2017 12:21 PM PST

I've lost about 3 out of the 4 games I've played. And the last one I ranked super lowly on the score chart. Is there anyway I can optimize? Because I'm tired of seeing the defeat screen.

Edit: Here's how I usually play. I typically go wth culture/religion victory with not a lot of warfare. I typically play on Warlord difficulty. My favorite Civ so far has vbeen the Greeks with Pericles. I tend to run into trouble during the mid game, when I fall behind too far in whatever area I don't focus in (so if I focus culture, Saladin surpasses me in science, if I go science, Spain wins a religious victory out of nowhere, etc.)

submitted by /u/Lord_of_the_Box_Fort
[link] [comments]

What's the difference?

Posted: 19 Feb 2017 07:50 AM PST

Feeling really good about this start

Posted: 18 Feb 2017 10:59 PM PST

Started a large Europe map as Nazi Germany. Went on to control said Europe map.

Posted: 19 Feb 2017 04:17 PM PST

Civ out of context

Posted: 19 Feb 2017 07:47 PM PST

Sometimes while playing Civ, I talk outloud. It helps me strategize. My wife started laughing at me, taking them out of context:

"Dang, they're going to start spawning horsemen. That's gonna hurt" "Time to start pumping out settlers" "Dang it, Hojo, where are you?" "YAY! GOODIE HUT!" "I like pigs... (close notification)"

Can anyone think of any other good out of context Civ quotes?

submitted by /u/OscarTheSingingHobo
[link] [comments]

Science target questions?

Posted: 19 Feb 2017 07:36 PM PST

For civs like Bablyon or Korea what is the optimal science per turn for early, mid or late game.

submitted by /u/thenugget56
[link] [comments]

[Civ V] ELI 5: What is tourism? How does it work? And how do great people and great works....work?

Posted: 19 Feb 2017 03:42 PM PST

I'm a noob at this culture stuff. Thanks in advance.

submitted by /u/JediChamp5
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.