Newbie Questions, Bugs, and Gameplay Megathread - 21/11

Posted: 21 Nov 2016 01:22 AM PST

Consider asking your question here, instead of making a post and have it buried! Also, to prevent redundancy, do consider doing a CTRL+F in this thread or a subreddit search query for your question!

Rules

Old Megathread

I'm sick of the memes here, I want the discussion posts!

try http://nr.reddit.com/r/pokemongo for desktop users or this for mobile/app users.

Niantic support (expect delays because Niantic): https://support.pokemongo.nianticlabs.com/hc/en-us
/r/PokemonGO FAQ: /r/PokemonGo/wiki/FAQ

Is the game out in my country yet?
For Global Release status, check out this
IAP isn't working, I want a refund!
See this map and see if your country is green. May or may not be 100% up to date.
See here for iOS and here for Android.


FAQ

by /u/getbetterjohn, amended by /u/RocketJumpingOtter

WHY AREN'T POKESTOPS OR GYMS LOADING NEAR ME?!

  • If you're outside the official release regions, this is to be expected (Niantic seems to block the game data in these areas).
  • It is also possible that there simply aren't any near you, or your internet is unstable.
  • This is a current (possible) bug.

What Is…

Tapping the Map--Zoom: Tap the map once to display a blue circle, from the circle quickly drag a line top top to bottom to zoom in, and tap + drag out to zoom out/tap + drag down to zoom in the screen. You can also zoom in and out with a two finger gesture of pinching (like most cell phones)
IVs?: Stands for individual values. Ranges from 0-15 for Attack, Defense, Stamina. You can get a rough guess on IVs by appraisal, or check in detail with an IV calculator. The higher the IV, the stronger the Pokemon is.
Grass Shaking: A Pokemon may or may not reside there. Higher chances of encountering a wild Pokemon
The menu in the Pokemon tab?: For transferring/favouriting a Pokemon
Swiveling White PokeBall Icon (Top Left Corner): It means content is loading.
Battery Saver Option: When the app is open and the phone unlocked, the screen will turn black if the phone is idle or laying down. You can still receive alerts.
Pokemon Tab: Shows you wild Pokemon in your vicinity. Generally, Pokemon in the upper row would be closer. Currently the tracking system is disabled.
The Blue Aura in the Pokemon Tab?: Indicates Pokémon captured within the last 24 hours/newly captured Pokémon.
Color of the Ring When Catching a Pokemon: Refers to the difficulty of catching the Pokemon. Green = Easy, Yellow = Moderate, Red = Difficult.
CP = Combat Power: "Each individual Pokémon is assigned CP at capture, which indicates how well that particular Pokémon will perform in battle. As you gain XP and become a higher level Trainer, the CP of the Pokémon you capture will generally be higher."
Stardust: Used to level up your Pokemon. Is acquired through capturing any Pokemon. You can also obtain it daily by being in control of a gym.
Candy: Used to evolve and level up your Pokemon. Is acquired through capturing the same Pokemon. Candy is also obtained through hatching eggs.
Where can I get…
Eggs: Pokestops. Use an incubator to hatch it.
Lucky Eggs: Can be purchased in the shop. Also obtainable from levelling up.
Coins: Purchase at the shop, or get it from gyms
  • Further explanation on coins: You can press the shield in the shop tab immediately after you place a Pokemon to defend a gym. Afterwards, there's a 21-hour refresh before you can collect them again.

IN-GAME Questions
How to Join a Team: Reach level 5 then visit a gym. You will be prompted to select between Instinct, Mystic, and Valor.
How much prestige from Gym Battles?:
Attacking different team: -1000 prestige for defeating a Pokemon with a bonus 1000 upon beating all defenders.
Training at friendly gym:
CP(Attacker/Defender) Prestige Gain
R>2 50
1<R<2 125*R
0.5<R<=1 250*R
R < 0.5 500
Leveling/Evolving a Pokemon: Capture the same type Pokemon to earn Stardust and Candy. Each Pokemon require different amounts of Stardust and Candy to either level up or evolve. Transferring Pokemon to the Professor will earn you one candy. You can view how much Stardust or Candy required by viewing your caught Pokemon.
Transferring Pokemon: You can transfer your caught Pokemon to Professor by selecting the Pokemon, scrolling down in its bio and selecting TRANSFER. You will gain one candy for transferring. You cannot get your Pokemon back once it is transferred. Transferring multiples of the same Pokemon will not delete the stardust or candies collected for that specific Pokemon.
How do eggs work?: You can collect eggs at Pokestops. They are stored under your "caught Pokemon" screen (swipe to the right). Eggs can be placed in an incubator by selecting the one you would like to hatch. The distance needed to travel to hatch an egg is under each egg (e.g. 0km/5km or 0km/10km). Once in an incubator, walk around, and it will hatch once you meet the distance quota. Candy is also obtained by hatching eggs.
How does the buddy system work?: Somewhat similar to eggs. After you assign a buddy, you can get a candy for that species every 1, 3, or 5 km. This allows getting candies for Pokemon not found in your area given you've caught one.
Eevee Evolution: Nicknames affect the evolution, see here. This works once. Otherwise, Eevee evolution is selected at random.
Friends List/Chat: Is not currently a feature.
Does the app have to be open?: Yes, the app must be open to remain active and notify you of events. An exception to this is if you have Pokemon Go Plus.
What is the timeout for a Pokestop?: ~5 minutes.

Useful Links


There's this Pokestop/Gym near me which seems inappropriate. Can I report it?
Use this link. However, Niantic seems to be preoccupied with other things now, so don't expect too much.

Where can I find other players in my area?
Try our regional subreddits list! Also, see the related subreddits for more niche needs!

Known bugs (some have possibly been fixed):

Info from /u/red157 and /u/connorcook13
  • Visual Text Glitches (like this) which appear in the Pokédex tab. This is found in Android phones.
  • Game may freeze upon catching a Pokemon. Restart and you can have another go.
  • On the walking around screen, sometimes the white Pokeball icon in the top left spins for eternity not letting you look around or tap any icons.
  • It seems like all "nearby" Pokemon are displayed with a 3-step distance now. The buggy tracker has been removed by Niantic, intentionally. A new method is currently in limited testing.
  • If time is not set to Automatic, Incense and Lures may not work properly. Fix this by setting time to Automatic.
  • In some rare occasions, logging out from a Google Account resets your progress entirely i.e. back to level 1. See here. This is presumably the most destructive bug, although it is extremely uncommon.
  • Pokedex screen sometimes spazzes, like shown in this video.
  • Grimer Bug - loading the model for Grimer and some others may cause the app to freeze or crash.

If you have any suggestions for FAQs to append to this thread or for meta questions, message the moderators or mention /u/PokemonGoMods!
submitted by /u/PokemonGOmods
[link] [comments]

My mother recently visited Thailand and sent me this.
Posted: 21 Dec 2016 04:47 AM PST
[Discussion] Who else thinks the starters are under powered....
Posted: 21 Dec 2016 09:30 AM PST

Item Balls - The solution to pokestop deserts

Posted: 21 Dec 2016 08:16 AM PST

Item balls should be added to the game and spawn in the same way pokemon do. Their spawn rates should be near zero near pokestops but higher the farther away from pokestops you are. They would spawn and when tapped count as a pokestop spin.
This would allow players with no nearby pokestops to continue to play and still stay within the spirit of the game requiring moving around and exploration to get items.
submitted by /u/TheDukeAnumber1
[link] [comments]
Watercolor painting my wife made
Posted: 21 Dec 2016 05:02 PM PST
[Art] Finally caught my first Lapras. It was truly bittersweet.
Posted: 20 Dec 2016 08:32 PM PST

[PSA] What to Properly Do When Playing PoGo and the Police Pull You Over

Posted: 21 Dec 2016 12:53 PM PST

I know many of you play, sometimes late at night, from a car. Here's a story and then some friendly suggestions if the police come and say hi to you.

Story Time:
So my hometown of around 10k people has a pretty lively and competitive group of pogo players. We are constantly battling between factions, which I personally think is great. Players are out and about at all hours of the day, including late at night. This is understandable because many families have people who work 3rd shifts and what not. So someone getting off and needing a break to chill out is completely understandable; why not play pogo?
The problem becomes that when someone pulls up to a park, late at night, sitting there for no reason, can seem very "fishy," especially in smaller communities like my own. People can become very paranoid when someone is sitting outside of their house for no apparent reason and will, and have, called the cops.
Rewind to last night, me and another instinct player were making our rounds at around 2am. It was a divide and conquer to save time. We met in the middle and he told me that the town cop had just pulled him over for suspicious activity because he was parked, legally, outside of a park, to take a gym down. He said he calmly explained what he was doing, and the cop let him continue. As he was telling me this, the police saw us talking to each other from our cars (it's cold af outside, I wasn't gonna get out) and took note. We had a few more gyms to hit up and a snorlax to catch. I went towards our last gym and noticed a pair of headlights following me. Our town isn't huge, so I knew what was going on. The cop was following me. I went to the gym, parked under a bright light, and started to take over the gym. The police car promptly pulled up behind me and I lowered my window and got my ID ready for them, with POGO open and playing with both my hands VISIBLE. The cop came to up to the car and inquired about what I was doing, how I knew that other man, and why I was out so late. I calmly showed them I was playing pogo (multitasking like a boss) I handed them my idea and kept playing. They took my id back to the car, probably ran my history, ran the license plate, and obviously found nothing. The officer came back and said promptly, "Is something going on with pokemans?" and I happily responded that new pokemon came out and that many people were off work (we are an auto town, many have the next two weeks off.) I then showed the officer the game, and showed and explained the local gyms in the area, them gave them the rundown of where people would most likely be found (common spawn points ect.) After blowing their mind with all my amazing pogo knowledge, they thanked me for showing them, gave my id back, and went on their way...By that time I had already successfully taken over the gym too.
Having multiple encounters with the police in the past (I was a night photographer while attending art school) there are a few protocols I want other people to know to make sure that if they are ever pulled over and the cops are wondering what the heck is going on.

What To Do:
  • If you are in a vehicle, never ever get out unless the officer instructs you to
  • Never have your hands where the officer can't easily see them; I know it's cold out in some places
  • Make sure to always have some form of easily accessible ID, especially if you are a passenger over 16
  • Never ever ever try to avoid officers, trying to hide or make it seem like you are hiding makes it more of a reason for them to track you down
  • If you can, try to park or be in an area that is well lit so the officer can see what you are doing. Remember, hands on 10 and 2 on the wheel if you are not currently playing and driving
  • Always treat officers with respect, even if they seem like they are being accusative. Many times they've dealt with problem teenagers/drunk drivers late at night, if you haven't been doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about
  • I would highly recommend leaving POGO open so you can show them what you are doing. Maybe you can even impress them with your 3200 cp dragonite level 10 charmander

* Follow local/state/federal laws, and never trespass. Many of my town's gyms are accessible from public parking lots or street parking. If you can't legally access the gym, don't bother with it. Ignorance to laws is not an excuse, they can, and will give you a citation or worse if they feel the need

Good luck and stay safe.
TL;DR
Read the bold.
P.S. Don't play and drive at the same time, ya bums.
submitted by /u/Indeezy
[link] [comments]

[Idea] Why couldn't we be able to trade 5 potions for 1 pokeball? Instead of having to toss them?

Posted: 21 Dec 2016 08:43 AM PST

Basically a trading system for stuff you don't want and get stuff you do want. I already know they would never do 1:1 trade but maybe 5:1 or 3:1 or 2:1 depending on how generous Niantic feels like being. Seems such a waste of time and effort when you throw out stuff but get nothing in return.
Edit: I guess I should explain a bit more. Basically if you want potions you could trade 3 pokeballs for one potion. If you want pokeballs you trade 3 potions for one pokeball. Same for revives. You are still at a loss in the trade since you have to give more. I think people would still buy pokeballs. It would also be a good way to keep things you earned from playing from going to waste. They are your items, you shouldn't be throwing them away for nothing.
submitted by /u/Masterre
[link] [comments]
[Art]What i wish for.
Posted: 21 Dec 2016 01:23 PM PST
Never seen an Electabuzz before tonight
Posted: 21 Dec 2016 06:53 PM PST
I finally have every mon in North America. Proud to join the list!
Posted: 21 Dec 2016 06:34 PM PST
One way or another, I'm getting a Pikachu with a Santa hat!
Posted: 21 Dec 2016 06:19 PM PST
The game won't load, I've been having this problem a couple of days after gen 2 update
Posted: 21 Dec 2016 03:30 AM PST
Holy shit Niantic, fix your fucking game.
Posted: 21 Dec 2016 05:48 PM PST

I could bitch and moan about gym issues (which was what I was planning on doing) but then it took my 20 minutes just to open the app. It opened in a frozen screen like 12 times in a row, and then wouldn't even load at all. Like, fix your game. This is just getting ridiculous.
submitted by /u/Semajj
[link] [comments]
The whole Pichu-Pikachu-Raichu family ... or are there more Pokemon in this evolutionary line to come?
Posted: 21 Dec 2016 06:08 AM PST
People who added pokemon spawns really did a accurate job.
Posted: 21 Dec 2016 08:42 AM PST
We got a ton of cool stickers for the Spirit partnership!
Posted: 21 Dec 2016 01:16 PM PST
Anyone else disappointed there was no Christmas event today?
Posted: 21 Dec 2016 04:14 PM PST

[Story] Because of the rural update, I now go into town to stack up on pokeballs.

Posted: 21 Dec 2016 05:31 AM PST

This felt really cool. I live in a very rural area in Belgium, but since the update I have access to some decent nests on walking distance. However, because of the holiday season I am home a lot and have no stops anywhere nearby. Today, I actually went into town and walked around for an hour or so to claim some pokestops and stack up. (I also hatched a 342cp Charmander in the process)
Thank you niantic for bringing us closer to the exploring part that I have always wanted in Pokemon Go.
submitted by /u/Carnivorious
[link] [comments]

My Lapras story. Prepare your feels.

Posted: 21 Dec 2016 12:07 PM PST

So a few hundred eggs and countless visits to supposed spawn sites gained me zero Lapras'. Finally on 12/16 I spun out 3 10k eggs. Which I thought was badass because that was my IRL cakeday.
So by Saturday afternoon I had hatched my first Dratini. Then by a miracle of all miracles I hatched the mother fucking Lapras. He was shit IV's, low 80's, with a defensive move set and a 10 in defense. After him I got a Magby. Maybe my best series of 10k eggs.
So later on I was home and excited to appraise and maybe power up that Lappy because they look good in gyms.
It was at this point that I went to appraise the damn thing. In my mind I tapped the appraise button and started to spam the first few dialogue screens. Then I see a candy pop up and a +1. For a second I was confused and then realization hit me like a ton of bricks. I sent the god damn thing away. I actually yelled NOOOOOO at my phone.
Anyway, it's my dex now.
submitted by /u/phuhcue
[link] [comments]

Please Niantic do an optimization patch

Posted: 21 Dec 2016 01:56 PM PST

The game runs more horribly each day it passes, to the point where the game itself kills the keyboard process while renaming Pokémon or the game crashes on startup or the trainer gets "GPS" stuck at the first minute of gameplay and you have to restart the game.
Please Niantic, it's time for an optimization update. Low-end phone users will be very grateful.
submitted by /u/changelover
[link] [comments]
So, Pokemon GO Plus is sold from Niantic Shop now
Posted: 21 Dec 2016 01:37 PM PST
With All of the Changes This Has Got To Be Outdated As Soon As You Buy It [Humor]
Posted: 21 Dec 2016 12:42 PM PST

I had to reset the app 10 times! Before it would open properly

Posted: 21 Dec 2016 05:24 AM PST

This is not okay. How the hell is the app this unstable now?
(Update) Okay, so. I've now been trying for an hour to get the app to launch correctly. They HAVE to release a fix for this soon. This is absolutely ridiculous.
submitted by /u/Mightyjake94
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.