True Gaming Any examples of games that were worse than the sum of their parts?


Any examples of games that were worse than the sum of their parts?

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 07:30 AM PDT

Every now and then I run into a game where it has competent components, but the overall package is lacking. Have you ever played a game that was worse than the sum of its parts? Here are some examples that come to mind.

Darksiders 2: Most mechanics in this game are either great or competent. The combat is fun, the platforming is reminiscent of games like Prince of Person, and there is interesting player progression. However, as a whole I find the game very mediocre. The gameplay styles don't mesh as well as they could have and the game just feels empty and boring.

Far Cry 5: I actually like this game, every aspect works well. Many mechanics from previous entries and best implemented in this game. Despite all this, I got bored of the game even before finishing it and I feel like the game as a whole is good, but not great.

Anyways I want to hear what you have to say

submitted by /u/pvijay187
[link] [comments]

Which JRPGs made you care about the characters the most (due to the backstory, character interaction etc.)?

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 05:53 PM PDT

First of all, if possible, no spoilers (or mark them), so people who still want to play the game, hopefully, well, won't get spoiled.

To me personally I can name 2. Trails in the Sky is a very big one. The characters were so well written (despite all the tropes it had) and it made me care about each one. I most cared about the 2 main protagonists however.

Another one is Persona 4. I just loved the character dynamic but most I cared about Nanako however. I just felt so bad for her and the relationship to her dad even though she was such a sweet and strong child most of the times.

So, what are yours?

submitted by /u/Serariron
[link] [comments]

I'm replaying the classic Resident Evil games.

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 09:15 AM PDT

I gotta say, these games give me anxiety. I played Resident Evil 7 and I absolutely loved. While my second play through lost a lot of that unknowing charm, I was still in love with the game. my first play through often had my hyping myself up before entering a foreboding section or a soon boss fight. This game really re-piqued my interest in the horror genre and so I've begun playing the old classic game. And still, after years of the games' existence and still having some knowledge of the general plot, I was able to be terrified of every jump scare and suspenseful corner in the game. I'm talking particularly about Resident Evil Remastered. Even as a relative casual to the series, it seems like an absolute timeless classic horror game. And I need to ask, does anybody else feel this way? Perhaps about some other old horror games. The perpetual immersiveness and addictive atmosphere of these old-time well-designed games.

submitted by /u/bigbossJOEL
[link] [comments]

When do you give up on a game? At what point do you decide that a game isn't for you?

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 01:11 PM PDT

Do you give it an hour? Two hours? Does it depend on the game? If the game doesnt pull you in immediately, do you set it down?

Like many of you I have an ever increasing backlog of games. Because I have so many experiences at my fingertips, it makes the decision to give up on a game rather difficult. This problem is further compounded when I happen to be playing a critically acclaimed title and it just doesn't click.

A perfect example of this deals with Nier Automata. On paper, Nier seems like the perfect game for me. Hack and slash is my favorite genre, I adore platinum games, and I love stories about artificial intelligence. These factors are coupled with the overwhelming positive reception the game garnered.

Despite all this, after a couple hours I just could not get into the game. I found the combat subpar and the overall game design kind of clunky. What I would end up doing is playing for 30-45 minutes, get bored, and then decide to play something else. This happened maybe 3-4 times until today where I told myself that I would force myself to play the game for 2 hours. I decided to give up on after Nier 1.5 hours. I just could not get into it.

Giving up on a game really sucks, especially when you want to experience the same kind of joy everyone else seems to be feeling. I think the hardest part is that sometimes you never really know if and when to stop. There have been occasions where I have forced myself to play a game, only to end up loving it.

Anyways, I want to know how you are able to tackle this issue.

submitted by /u/pvijay187
[link] [comments]

Isometric Turnbased RPGs in the current age

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 11:54 PM PDT

Games like fallout and Baldur's gate hold their own chapter in my experience with video games but I experienced these as a kid in the early 2000's but at the time I had a very short attention span and was more used to way more linear games like Final Fantasy or shooters like Quake and Medal of Honor. I played the first fallout and tried to play what seemed like a "fun" playstyle using unarmed combat but the RNG and random encounters proved too much and I usually died without doing much damage so I just hung the game and played stuff that was more noob friendly. Questing was also a pain for me because I was used to the linear style of gameplay wherein you didnt have to explore and you would be directed to your objective with markers or indicators. It was only now as a college student I got to appreciate and be patient enough to play these types of games but I can really feel the age of them with all the clunky UI, RNG etc. What do you think an Isometric Turnbased RPG needs to have and update on (graphics, animations, writing etc.) if it wants to compete with the other genres that give the player more action or stuff to do?

submitted by /u/Wolfez02
[link] [comments]

Looking for games in the JRPG / action- combat genre

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 08:11 AM PDT

I have been having a hard time in finding good games that can either run on my pc or are worthy of playing. So far, I have only found Tales of Berseria and Zesteria. They are great , but I was looking for similar games like these. Like Ni no kuni 2 or SAO Fatal Bullet. These last one I mentioned don't run on my medium end pc. Honestly, since I don't understand much about PCs in general I think I wasted 400€ on a laptop. Yes, I'm playing on a laptop don't judge me.

Anyway here are the specs ( if you could find me games like I've mentioned before and that can run relatively well on my pc, that'd be a huge help)

AMD Quad core processor A6-7310 ( up to 2.4 ghz) AMD Radeon R4 Graphics 8G DDR3 256 GB SSD

PS: preferably single player games , rather than multiplayer since mmos these days are too much p2w and buying the game isn't enough.

submitted by /u/uttol
[link] [comments]

Where are the interesting setting/story premises in major games?

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 05:39 AM PDT

I guess creative risks = financial risks, but the mainstream of the industry feels so turgid and hilariously uninspired. Take Anthem, yet another milquetoast robo shooter that could be confused with Titanfall, Halo, Advanced Warfare etc etc. Whatever you think about Bioshock Infinite, a floating World Fair run by a religious zealot in an alternate universe 1900s is an intriguing setup. Yet we always get 'realistic' wars, 'realistic' sports, and lowest common denominator sci-fi. Very little else.

submitted by /u/theivoryserf
[link] [comments]

What game do you think gives one the most general skill?

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 10:07 AM PDT

If one were to get extremely good at a particular game, what game do you think would give one the most general skill that would apply in some way to most other games?

submitted by /u/TiggerTriggers
[link] [comments]

What have I missed? Looking for recommendations for games with a good story.

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 10:59 PM PDT

I've sort of hit a gaming lull, and luckily have a week of vacation coming up so I hope to dive into something new. I'm mostly looking for gems that I might have missed or backward compatible games that I've never played before. I'm exclusively a console gamer, so please keep that in mind with recommendations, but I do have both an Xbox One and PS4 (and a switch).

Things/games that I like: I love single player, and story driven games. These most frequently include RPGs and action-adventure games. Some of my favorites include: the Mass Effect series (and pretty much anything by Bioware - ME:A), Witcher 3, Skyrim, Persona 5, TLOU. Games with great game play, strong/interesting character development, or rich narratives also hook me, such as Bioshock, Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted (4, especially), Tomb Raider, Dishonored, and the new God of War. I'll also happily sit through narrative games if the story pay off is good, such as Life is Strange, Oxenfree, or Firewatch.

Things I don't like...as much: Honestly, I think of myself as a pretty open person with gaming, but shy away from multiple player games, or games without any story elements. Bad voice acting is also a buzz kill, but I can usually overlook it for a good story. I feel the same about linear narratives. I can often overlook a lack of player choice if the main story is good (this is why Horizon Zero Dawn sort of bugged me, but I digress.) And I'm pretty tolerant of outdated graphics...so that's not a big deal. For whatever reason, I've never been able to get through any of the Dark Souls games. I just lose interest.

So what have a missed? I had a big break in my gaming history and didn't do much between 2004 and 2010. There are particular games that interest me (looking at you, Alpha Protocol) that aren't back compatible yet, so I haven't picked them up. Some things I'm considering are Divinity: Original Sin, Fallout: New Vegas (never played it), and Vampyr. Any recommendations are welcome though, especially for RPGs or story driven games. Thanks!

submitted by /u/koskir
[link] [comments]

What game to play? Help me choose.

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 11:16 PM PDT

So turns out my BF is gonna go camping tonight so i feel like gaming but can't decide on what game.

Options are:

Farming simulator 2017 Ezio collection assasins creed Tomb raider 2013 Tomb raider rise

submitted by /u/Metalkitty92
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.