Factorio Weekly Question Thread


Weekly Question Thread

Posted: 25 Jun 2018 11:06 AM PDT

Ask any questions you might have.

Post your bug reports on the Official Forums


Previous Threads


Subreddit rules

Discord server (and IRC)

Find more in the sidebar ---->

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

I bought Factorio at lunch time today. Save me.

Posted: 25 Jun 2018 02:24 PM PDT

New Mod: Whistle Stop Factories

Posted: 25 Jun 2018 02:09 PM PDT

Description

This mod creates big assembly machines and big furnaces that spawn randomly around the map and provide huge processing throughput with built in belt loaders. The point of this mod is to make the game all about trains by making the objective about linking these randomly distributed factories.

The big assembly machines also act as chemical plants. And in order to provide factories that are 30 times faster (or more with beacons), the mod implements alternative versions of each recipe that are 50 times larger to get around the 1 recipe per tick limit.

Images

Big assembly machine making circuits

Big assembly machine acting as chemical plant

Big furnace making iron plates

Recipe picture of alternative recipes for the big machines

Links

Mod Portal: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/WhistleStopFactories

Forums: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?t=61205

Github: https://github.com/anythingapplied/WhistleStop

Image Album: https://imgur.com/a/tgkBiyp

submitted by /u/AnythingApplied
[link] [comments]

My first proper oil setup. I'm very proud of it.

Posted: 25 Jun 2018 12:49 PM PDT

More Perfect Wiring

Posted: 24 Jun 2018 10:33 PM PDT

Finally found oil - I'm glad this is a no-biters map.

Posted: 25 Jun 2018 03:34 PM PDT

I finally did it! First rocket after 75 hours. :D

Posted: 25 Jun 2018 11:01 AM PDT

I find it incredibly difficult to complete pretty much anything, so completing a game like Factorio is a massive achievement for me.

Posted: 25 Jun 2018 03:38 AM PDT

Seamless Concrete/Stone Patterns (Blueprint book string in comments, feedback welcome!)

Posted: 25 Jun 2018 07:56 PM PDT

Train line of death.

Posted: 25 Jun 2018 02:25 PM PDT

Feeling rather accomplished right now

Posted: 25 Jun 2018 06:35 PM PDT

It took me ages and ages of trying and failing, over and over, even eventually having to walk away for a bit and regroup.. But I pushed through it, read a lot of posts, and checked out some other builds.

But I finally have a 4 train run set up complete with waiting area and double lane unloaders.

Yes, I know it's not perfect, but damnit I am ecstatic that I managed to do pull it off. Railsignals are a pain to learn, but once the light bulb went off, I was like.. Seriously?!

Anyways, here's a screenie.

submitted by /u/Aluveaux
[link] [comments]

Why does this still pump water? (I used landfill where pumps were located)

Posted: 25 Jun 2018 03:53 AM PDT

How about this perfect (if somewhat fishy) wiring pattern?

Posted: 25 Jun 2018 01:34 PM PDT

https://imgur.com/JIuUX8y

This one came about quite accidentally. I was looking for a 100% coverage mining setup once I reached mining prod research 140, which for copper, iron and coal meant that 8 mining drills with speed3 modules could fill an express belt. Stone would only need prod 104 because of the faster mining speed.

This "T" formation was tileable and was designed to be offset by one tile each row, allowing the output from rows behind it to weave through the unoccupied tiles. This could accommodate up to 13 rows of mining drills all outputting in the same direction, and 26 rows if they output to either side: more than enough for even the largest natural ore patches I've seen.

The medium electric poles happen to form a pleasing hexagonal pattern that reminds me of fish scales. They are placed just far enough apart that there is only one possible wiring configuration that will reach, and thus the pattern is guaranteed. I'm at prod 357 now, which only requires 4 mining drills to fill a belt, but I haven't bothered reconfiguring existing mines because it looks pretty on the overview map. ;-)

View from the ground: https://imgur.com/nUlRk9q
!blueprint https://pastebin.com/h5tW2ubB

submitted by /u/Recyart
[link] [comments]

I made a thing! Thought you'd like to see.

Posted: 25 Jun 2018 01:27 PM PDT

My take on nearly 3 Blue Science per minute in Sea Block

Posted: 25 Jun 2018 08:07 AM PDT

So I guess the biters didn't mind my robots putting a turret here.

Posted: 25 Jun 2018 08:08 AM PDT

Stack Inserter + Side of a Splitter = ❤. +Train Loaders & 79k plate/min smelter

Posted: 24 Jun 2018 11:21 PM PDT

A week or two ago someone mentioned on the reddit that inserters have interesting interactions with the side of splitters (I can't find it, links appreciated!). Turns out you can use this to both load and unload chests significantly (25-30%) faster, and it's pretty compact to boot. I'm transitioning my starter base into a megabase and I needed a new large scale smelter, so I decided to design the smelter and train loaders around this. :D

Image/video gallery.

Tests & explanation

TL;DR: A stack inserter can unload a chest 25% faster when facing the side of a splitter vs unloading directly onto a belt. And 3 inserters can load a chests' worth of items 30% faster using a side-splitter setup than 3 inserters picking up from a plain belt.

1: Unloading a chest onto a belt with one stack inserter. Test harness video. "Normal" takes 11146 ticks. Side-splitter: 8360 ticks (both designs). 25% faster. (sweet)

2: Loading a chest with one stack inserter. Test harness image. Normal: 10993 ticks. Side-splitter: 9392 ticks. 15% faster. (eh.. ok)

3: Loading a chest with 3 stack inserters. Test harness image. Normal: 5293 ticks. Side-splitter: 3761 ticks. 29% faster (noice)

Both #2 and #3 have the advantange that they pick up from both sides of the input belt evenly, an issue that other setups that are close to capacity suffer. In #3, the three inserters pull ahead from the normal setup because the side-splitters only pick up from the near side of the belt which is faster, where the extra inserters in the normal setup have to pick up some from the far side. Actually, just add one more inserter-splitter pair and they easily suck up a full belt's worth of items with just the 4 inserters on one side.

For unloading, this works by using the splitter's behavior that teleports every other item to alternating output belts, meaning that items move out of the way twice as fast as normal (on average), which lets the inserter drop items twice as fast. Picking up items is similar/symmetric effect, in addition to all items being on the nearest lane, especially for inserters after the first.

Designs

Train unloader: Unloads a single wagon onto 4 blue belts on one side at 85% compression (12/14, ~3.4 compressed belts worth) with 8 inserters and a 6x14 footprint. Animation. Blueprint image. Blueprint.

Train loader: Loads a wagon with two full blue belts of items from one side using 8 inserters and a 6x13 footprint. Inputs are naturally lane-balanced. Image. Blueprint.

Smelter: It's a 12-beacon per smelter design, designed to accept 32 belts from the above unloader (85% compression), and produces 36 belts at 92% compression. Overall it very stably produces 79k plates per minute. It's optimized for low number of entities and low belt complexity. Input comes from the left and output goes out the bottom in a kind of crossbar design that naturally connects every input to every output, meaning that it's very very close to being perfectly balanced naturally. The internal balancing backs up in about 10m without the two 18x18 balancers. Image. Blueprint.

Whole design, with 2-8-2 one-way trains for loading and unloading. It consumes a full 8 wagon train of ore every 15 seconds. :D Image. Blueprint

submitted by /u/infogulch
[link] [comments]

Just started the demo and connected the pipes via the boiler to the turbine, but it does not work. Any help?

Posted: 25 Jun 2018 08:30 AM PDT

I'm about 3-4 hours into this game. What can I do to improve my current mess?

Posted: 25 Jun 2018 08:11 PM PDT

How much would I need to wait to buy this game when it comes out of Early Access?

Posted: 25 Jun 2018 06:39 PM PDT

I tried the demo, and the game looked fun, but I would rather wait and buy the game when it is considered finished by the developers. Mosty because I don't have a lot of money to spend right now.

So I'm curious, how long do you think it would take for the game to come out of Early Access? Because I'm not sure if I should just wait or try to get the money for the game and buy it as soon as I can.

submitted by /u/TheBaxes
[link] [comments]

Y'all need to stop gettin run over.

Posted: 24 Jun 2018 10:05 PM PDT

I came back to factorio after a huge patch. What are the currently winning conditions?

Posted: 25 Jun 2018 04:03 PM PDT

Hi, i bought factorio when the winning condition was to build a spaceship and launch it.

I came back yesterday, updated the game, but there are things like a atomic bombs, artillery wagons, etc.

Are those needed to win the campaign? Id go through the patch notes but have little time. Thank you in advance.

submitted by /u/Rick_101
[link] [comments]

A better way to use FARL?

Posted: 25 Jun 2018 11:38 AM PDT

I've recently started trying to use FARL to make my life easier, since I'm both interested in trains and find setting up anything but the most miniscule train network to be a huge, tedious pain. (No insult intended to anyone who feels otherwise. Show me where the fun is!)

I've discovered that, using FARL, I inevitably end up with rails that are a few tiles off from one another and have to make a kind of kludgy jog (or worse) whenever I try to connect to an existing portion of my rail network. It's ugly, and fixing it is a fair amount of work, so I don't much like it.

Additionally, in order to avoid this kind of thing, I've taken to moving my FARL train by hand off my existing network onto a newly-set piece of track before striking off for an outpost, which is a fair bit of inventory management I'd like to avoid as unnecessary.

Those of you who are more experienced in using FARL (or building train networks), do you have any tips or instructions to make things easier or do them properly so I don't have these issues?

Thanks!

submitted by /u/DontReallyCareThanks
[link] [comments]

Blueprint maker

Posted: 25 Jun 2018 01:39 PM PDT

Hey do you guys know of any good online blueprint planer tools

submitted by /u/Tiger8158
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.