True Gaming "Games as service" will no longer be games. They are something else, and it's important we voice the difference.


"Games as service" will no longer be games. They are something else, and it's important we voice the difference.

Posted: 28 Feb 2018 04:46 AM PST

Now, fundamentally we have to speak as a market and not support these products with our money. But trends like "games as service" arent simply products placed on shelves. They are cultural sales pitches - marketed and advertised in narratives which attempt to shape the very minds of everyone in the market.

I propose that consumers consciously and vocally reject the notion of "games as service" being games in the first place. As fans and consumers we must be proactive in establishing boundaries, policing terms and definitions as they are fed to us from the largest corporations in the industry.

As I admit in the title Im not sure what we should call these "games as service" either. But the important thing to remember is that we don't have to consider them games. They are shallow, transaction laden daily activity loggers. Interactive cinematic rental experiences. Etc... Hopefully a succinct term will catch on from the consumer side.

This isn't a fight unique to the gaming community. Consumers must stay vigilant as corporations will seek to control the terms and culture in every market. Even if you dont agree with me on this particular issue, I hope the sentiment is not lost.

submitted by /u/jspsfx
[link] [comments]

What are some themes/topics that immediately put you off a game even if it looks promising?

Posted: 28 Feb 2018 02:57 AM PST

As an example, I know there are many people who just refuse to play open world games because they feel overwhelmed. They would enjoy the game otherwise because it has a great story or looks good but the open world mechanics just aren't for them.

In my case, it's the futurism (not the art style but games with futuristic (tech) elements like the modern Call of Duty games etc. This is why I'm so sad that CD Project is focusing on Cyberpunk 2077 because it looks exactly like something I would never enjoy but I loved the Witcher and since it's the same studio I still follow the game's development.

I think the reason why I don't like this futuristic stuff is because it often looks so tasteless, unnecessarily complex, unpractical, like it was designed by a mad child.

Now don't get me wrong, I do enjoy a good sci-fi (I adore the Mass Effect series even though I might think the game isn't designed well) so there is still hope I might like the game. It just doesn't look interesting to me, not even a little bit.

So do you feel the same way about something else?

submitted by /u/skyesdow
[link] [comments]

Which video games were so good that they made it impossible for other games in the genre/series to live up to it?

Posted: 28 Feb 2018 10:36 AM PST

I've been thinking about games that are so well made, so revered, etc. that they made it impossible to play a game in that genre/series that could live up to the hype of a masterpiece game? I think, for instance, that Silent Hill 2 made it very difficult for any of the following Silent Hill games to be as well-received. What do you think?

submitted by /u/GhettoOSRS
[link] [comments]

Are most games with difficulty choice either too easy or too hard with no inbetween?

Posted: 28 Feb 2018 12:40 PM PST

I recently noticed that every time I start a new game that has difficulty options it's way too easy on normal, then I change to hard and it's way too hard. Like The Witcher 1 for example. I finished it on normal with a ton of potions that I didn't have to use because the game was too easy. So I decided to start a new game on hard and it took me many tries just to get past the first enemy that kills me in one hit. Then the boss that was super easy on normal beat the shit out of me. And that was just the prologue. Then the same thing happened with Nier Automata. On normal the little robot guys at the tutorial just take tiny little chips off of your health bar. You can just stand there taking damage and you'll be fine. Then I changed it to hard. Took two hits, died. And I feel like it's like this with most games that have difficulty options except for maybe Bioshock and God of War. Also in most games all that changes is that you take a shit ton more damage on hard and that's it. Metal Gear Solid 3 for example had more enemies when you crank up the difficulty, which was pretty neat. I'm not sure if this is a problem exclusive to more modern games since older games like A Link to the Past, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario World, Crash Bandicoot have that difficulty level that feels just right. And now I feel like games are either made for the casual players that play like 4 hours a week or the hardcore players that love to rage at games like Cuphead and Getting Over It, with the inbetween just left out. Dark Souls 3 and Hollow Knight are two of the few exceptions I can think of that came out recently.

So what do you guys think? Tell me if you think I'm crazy or if you feel the same. Or maybe... somewhere inbetween ;)

submitted by /u/Usernamewastakentoo
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.