Learn Dota 2 - 7.10 Discussion Thread


7.10 Discussion Thread

Posted: 01 Mar 2018 01:29 PM PST

Phantom Lancer players--some questions about PL mechanics

Posted: 01 Mar 2018 02:54 PM PST

I like this hero a lot, but I feel like my understanding of him is very poor. Mechanically in particular. My questions revolve around spell usage, micro, laning, and overall strategy.

Spell usage: 1) Phantom Rush. I do not have a good feel for this ability at all. I understand on some level that it's a gap closing ability, but how exactly am I supposed to use it? It tends to fire on accident whenever it's off cooldown, and because I'm not thinking about it, half the time I end up issuing another command (usually move) and end up canceling it. How do I get the most out of this ability? Also, the +30 agility seems almost trivial since it only lasts a small amount of time after the rush. Am I supposed to think of it as a burst damage ability? Is this what the battlefury build is about, using phantom rush as a pseudo-blink with an extra +30 cleave damage on a creep wave? Should I be manta summoning during the rush so I can get an extra +30 agi on my manta illusions? I almost wish I could toggle the ability off (I know you can toggle it off now) and then manually cast it.

2) Doppleganger. Is this basically a built-in manta style? I know there are some micro tricks with the bright dopple illusion to throw enemies off. Is there more to it than that? I have seen some pros use Doppleganger to jump over cliffs, particularly when farming jungle or escaping from teamfights.

Micro: 1) How many control groups do you use for PL? I'm guessing you need 5: select hero, select all other units, select ALL units, control group 1 for the dopple illusion, and control group 2 for manta illusions. Also, aside from using the dopple illusion to confuse enemies, are there other tricks for the different types of illusions?

Laning: 1) I think of PL as a strong laner because of built-in regen and good base damage. Is there anything special you do to mitigate the high damage variance? Do you use animation cancelling when last hitting? Overall he seems to have a below-average animation, do you agree?

2) When farming waves, I tend to miss a lot of last hits unnecessarily when all the illusions get summoned. I basically lose my discipline. Is there a particular way you micro the illusions when you're pushing a lane, or just passively farming a lane? Is there a certain order you try to kill the creeps in?

Overall strategy 1) Can someone explain the premise of the battlefury build now that the cleave has been removed from illusions? Is it just a passive farming item, enabled because it's OP currently, and you have that phantom rush+bonus agi+cleave working as a pseudo-blink on a 4s cooldown? I find it hard to use this way, because I tend to screw up the rush itself, and second, I can't phantom rush to a jungle camp I don't have vision of.

2) Also, at what item progression do you start farming the jungle? With the general build, wand+aquila+treads-->diffusal, I find I can clear jungle camps fast thanks to mana burn but I often don't have enough health regen to sustain.

tl;dr: I am 1.2k and have a very bad understanding of how to play PL. Please help. https://www.dotabuff.com/players/94465695

submitted by /u/ak1247
[link] [comments]

Need tips for tinker shift queue

Posted: 01 Mar 2018 12:45 PM PST

When I BOT on a creep and shift queue blink into the trees, my tinker always end up attacking the nearby creep giving away my position. How do you stop this?

submitted by /u/Garyperry21
[link] [comments]

What did I do wrong here?

Posted: 01 Mar 2018 11:03 AM PST

https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/3758953781

I was the ES, and yes I know my friend went mid Lion for some unknown reason and his items were kinda questionable.

However, the early game seemed ok - me and Lioon were able to put tremendous pressure on Invoker and killed him multiple times, but somewhere in the mid game things started to fall apart and I don't know where. I guess I played around mid a bit too much and didn't help the sidelanes at all? I just felt like the side lanes didn't need much help and pressuring Invoker to force their supports mid would be the best play for the laning stage. I do believe that around the mid game all of my team split up a bit too much and ended up taking bad fights which threw the game.

If anyone would like to point out what major mistakes I made during this game, it would be really nice :D

submitted by /u/EL3kTr1C
[link] [comments]

Why does pressing Hold Position not cancel the attacks of other units?

Posted: 01 Mar 2018 06:57 PM PST

When I press it, the hero completely stops, but the illusions, Druid bear, and Familiars for example only hold their attacks, and then start attacking again.

submitted by /u/RichWindRW
[link] [comments]

Stupid low-MMR question of the day: Dealing with Zeus Aghs?

Posted: 01 Mar 2018 03:11 PM PST

OK, challenge time: Enemy Zeus got his Aghanims Scepter. You get ONE chance to tell your team ONE simple instruction. "When Zeus drops his nimbus, do X." What would you tell them?

Remember, this is low MMR, so assume no counterpicks unless by luck, and that 2-3 people don't have basic knowledge of what the ability does.

At my level, if there is a Zeus on either team, basically as soon he gets Aghs the game is over. One 5-man push after another, Zeus throws up a Nimbus over whatever area has to be defended, standing in it and fighting gets you killed, attacking it first gets you killed by the other heroes, avoiding it means you lose the objective, defending means you lose the objective and get teamwiped and lose more objectives.

It seems like heroes that work well against him seem to be either the extreme splitpushers (Lycan, Brood, AM) or the ones who jump on the back line and beat the dogshit of someone (Huskar, TA, SS), but all of those are rare, even rarer to see one played well. You do get a PA pretty often.

Anyway, like I said, knowing what there is to work with, what one thing would you either tell your team to play around this, or do to win the game yourself?

edit: also, if you see a Zeus picked on the enemy team, what would you pick?

submitted by /u/l33t_p3n1s
[link] [comments]

No more laning now

Posted: 01 Mar 2018 06:56 PM PST

I noticed in a lot of my games that people just forgo laning and go straight to ganking, like 4 heroes ganking and just their mid laning. Can't even jungle now cause you have to help lanes, kinda like LOL. Any thoughts?

submitted by /u/oska24
[link] [comments]

What do you consider the hardest hero to play?

Posted: 01 Mar 2018 12:19 AM PST

I know this sounds like a very random and vague question but I really wanted to ask someone this so I guess I'll just leave it here. This is regardless of position/role, or whether the hero is in meta rn. So far here are my thoughts -

  • Invoker - Easily the first hero to come to mind, given how insanely demanding he is in terms of mechanics.

  • Spectre - Kind of an odd one, but I'm putting her in here just because of the fact that she literally doesn't do jack for 20 mins. Most other "weak" laning carries still have some form of utility (Morph has mobility and attribute shift, AM has mobility and mana burn, etc.) whereas all Spectre can do is slow you by 12%. Or maybe I'm just missing something.

  • Chen/Visage/Meepo/Arc - I put these together because I feel like the general idea behind all these heroes is the same, i.e. you are controlling multiple units each of which can cast their own spells(/items), which would make them a bit harder than regular illusion heroes.

  • Storm Spirit - I guess he deserves a mention since, in the words of Blitz, Storm is one of the hardest heroes in the game due to the amount of mana management he requires. I think its safe to say he's THE most mana hungry hero in the game, and knowing how much you can do and what plays you can make at various stages of the game is something that takes a lot of time and practice. This is not even considering the pretty high skill ceiling he has in terms of mechanics - you can dodge a lot of stuff due to how Ball Lightning works provided you are fast on your fingers and careful with turn rates.

Thoughts? If there's any other hero that you feel is the hardest, do mention it.

submitted by /u/EL3kTr1C
[link] [comments]

Should I stay in bot matches?

Posted: 01 Mar 2018 01:29 PM PST

So I just started playing this week and I'm really struggling in unranked. I'm not entirely new to mobas (played some league and hots in the past), but still sub 30 hours in this game. In every match so far I've been getting flamed hard for not knowing everything about heroes or just playing bad. One match some dudes reported me for losing midlane calling me a feeder. Not like I was trying to suck the dude was just better than me. I'd play co-op with bots to practice more, but I can't even get a match, and solo with bots really isn't good practice. Is it wrong of me to be playing in pubs yet? Am I wrong to think unranked matches should be for casual practice? Should I just ignore the flamers or do I need to go back to bots?

submitted by /u/SmolderingPieces
[link] [comments]

How to play Death Prophet?

Posted: 01 Mar 2018 06:39 AM PST

She's fun to watch during tournaments but when I use her, I play like shit. She's one of the heroes with the slowest animation and I'm used to heroes with instant cast and movements.

submitted by /u/notrius_
[link] [comments]

I've made a spreadsheet visualising each hero's base attributes. Helpful for understanding early-game advantage and determining starting items

Posted: 01 Mar 2018 05:10 PM PST

Dota 2 significant FPS drop in fights

Posted: 01 Mar 2018 04:06 PM PST

Hi guys,

every game of Dota i have 90-100 FPS full maximum graphics set (GTX 1050, 16GB RAM, quad core i7, SSD drive) but in teamfights iam still dropping down to 10-20... Tried playing on lowest graphics and it behaves completely the same, reinstalled whole system, updated all drivers, just regular stuff that come up to your mind is not working... PC is strong and clean... Internet connection is fine - pings around 15-18... pls help... TY

submitted by /u/pajakiller663
[link] [comments]

Why are people calling for a terrorblade nerf

Posted: 01 Mar 2018 10:03 AM PST

Storm Spirit itemization order

Posted: 01 Mar 2018 04:42 AM PST

Few questions about Storm:

1) Early items:

  • Do you still buy bottle on storm or just spend all your money on clarity? like on 90% of the other midders rn.

  • Magic Wand must have?

  • What about Soul Ring?

2) First Major item?

  • Bloodstone + Orchid / Kaya?

  • Kaya + Orchid

  • Orchid + Kaya

  • Kaya + Bloodstone?

  • When should i build which item?

Thank you!

submitted by /u/tinochill
[link] [comments]

Hand of Midas in 2018?

Posted: 01 Mar 2018 12:59 PM PST

I've been on an AA kick and remember buying midas on this hero was popular. I did it in one game and it just felt... weak.

Come to think of it, I can't think of any hero lately that wants midas except maybe invoker, and with tomes even that is debatable. Is this a dead item? Games just feel too fast now, and every time I try picking it up it just feels like the good old Hand of -25 MMR.

submitted by /u/ChBoler
[link] [comments]

can i protect a teammate from duel by cogging away lc during duel?

Posted: 01 Mar 2018 05:12 AM PST

i only tried it in demo but it seems my teammate can get out of the cog during duel (think like phased).

can someone confirm?ty

submitted by /u/lester_pe
[link] [comments]

Linkens vs Aghs on AM?

Posted: 01 Mar 2018 12:38 AM PST

So I'm a little confused on the big difference of when to choose aghs or when to choose linkens on Anti-mage. I get that linkens gives better stats, gives health and mana regen over aghs giving just base hp and mana, and can be used on allies, but linkens costs almost 1k more (which I know isn't a lot for an AM), and aghs does the same block as linkens plus reflects it, which can be great against rupture, stuns, miss chances, eul's, and certain ult's like Lich ult or necro ult.

I know that sometimes it's better to go with linkens when you're dealing with things like sb charge, tb ult, duel, or maybe you have a great initiator that could really benefit from the linkens active, but I just feel like other than that you are better off going with the aghs because if the move isn't that game changing you are probably good with just bkb and manta instead of either, and if it is game changing enough to warrant them then having it reflect back would be better.

Is my mindset right here, or am I missing something big, like that extra +5 stats and the regen is more important that the reflect (which I get that I potentially CAN be, but I feel would be rare)?

submitted by /u/hereforredditjokes
[link] [comments]

Tinker itemization vs pl

Posted: 01 Mar 2018 05:20 AM PST

As a tinker in the late game what's the best itemization against a pl with mkb?

My lasers don't work with him and so doesn't my rockets to his enemy teams.

Match of madness is so so against his heart.

submitted by /u/ddotaplayer
[link] [comments]

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong

Posted: 28 Feb 2018 08:24 PM PST

Every so often a game like this comes up https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/3757943239 and I really try my best, and we just don't pull out the win. I was the meepo, what could I have done differently here to secure the victory?

submitted by /u/ghost_snow
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.