True Gaming When playing single-player games in which you're given some freedom of choice, particularly RPGs, do you get "in character" and act as your player character would in the presented scenarios?


When playing single-player games in which you're given some freedom of choice, particularly RPGs, do you get "in character" and act as your player character would in the presented scenarios?

Posted: 10 Feb 2018 08:06 AM PST

This is something I've struggled with for a long time. While playing RPGs and other games that present the player with moral choices and ultimata, I often find it very difficult to put myself in the player character's shoes.

Typically the way I play these games is going from point A to point B killing mobs and collecting loot without much consideration for what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. While I do typically enjoy these sorts of experiences for their mechanics and sense of progression, I can't help but feel there's another layer of fun that I've missed out on playing these games throughout the years because of an inability to pretend that I actually am my player character. Normally all that's on my mind is how to maximize my rewards and increase my stats.

For example, I've tried many times to start a new playthrough of Skyrim whilst making a conscious effort to explore the world and treat every conversation as though I'm physically embodying my character, but it's never much longer than an hour before I realize I'm once again just going through the motions, completing objectives and clearing dungeons with a total lack of imagination. I really want to be able to immerse myself the way others seem able to, but there is a perpetual disconnect between myself and the screen.

So for those of you with more colorful senses of imagination than myself, how do you self-insert into the game instead of just engaging a cycle of feedback and input? What are some features in games past that have helped you immerse yourself? If one does not roleplay as their character, are they missing a fundamental (or at least significant) facet of the experience? Do you give characters backstories, complexes, etc. to make them feel a bit more real? What can game developers do to help invest the player in their character's actions and experiences rather than playing it by the numbers?

submitted by /u/Homura_Dawg
[link] [comments]

Any recent games that feel like batman/watchdogs?

Posted: 09 Feb 2018 11:35 PM PST

Im looking for a vigilante like game where you play as the good guy or in a moral grey area and you fight crime. Anything new I might have missed?

submitted by /u/watermellonpussy
[link] [comments]

More games should have shorter, branching stories as opposed to longer stories with only one path.

Posted: 10 Feb 2018 07:25 AM PST

I'm going to talk about a hypothetical JRPG

Imagine a JRPG with two distinct branching paths. The main plot of the story would involve a conflict between two opposing factions, and during an early game encounter the player would be able to choose to side with one of the two factions. The first act of the story would allow players to learn about one of the two factions in detail by going to their respective base of operations, and players would have the freedom to switch sides prior to the start of the second act, but after that point they would be locked in as an ally to that faction.

Let's say that there are 10 key locations in the world of this JRPG and players would visit 8 of these locations on a full playthrough. 6 of the locations would be visited in both of the two story branches, while 4 of the locations are exclusive to one branch (2 for each branch). Some locations would be heavily recontexualized depending on which branch a player is on, while others would involve a direct conflict between the two factions in the story and the player would experience the conflict from one of the two sides.

Each of the story branches would be fairly short, but they would have distinct tones, have some distinct gameplay mechanics, have a distinct set of bosses and mostly distinct enemies, and two party members exclusive to each story branch. The story branches would have mostly the same cast, but many characters who are your allies on once branch would be enemies on the other branch. The double-sided nature of the story would be used to show the perspective of the two factions involved in the conflict and to explore various characters from multiple angles.

submitted by /u/TabulaRasa108
[link] [comments]

There was a post here about looking for games like subnautica that got removed for being a "list post" but it had no lists at all... Why?

Posted: 10 Feb 2018 06:41 AM PST

I was wondering why it was deleted by automobile. OP was just looking for a similar game. I feel automobile might be a bit too aggressive. It also mentioned "What X does Y?" which also had nothing to do with the post

Automod's response: " Thank you for contributing to the subreddit! Unfortunately it has been determined that your post does not adhere to one or more of the subreddit rules:

• List posts will be removed

This also includes posts asking something along the lines of "What X does Y?"

If you have any questions, please send a modmail to /r/truegaming."

Here's my reply to the person if they are still looking: "The Long Dark is a great one. A really good one. The moment I stumbled into the abandoned hydroelectric plant I didn't even realize I was holding my breath irl."

submitted by /u/ouTPhaze
[link] [comments]

What Should Be The Purpose Of "Driving" Skills In Action-Adventure Games?

Posted: 09 Feb 2018 05:04 PM PST

I recently started playing Grand Theft Auto: San andreas again, a game many point to as the first 3D GTA game with "RPG elements".

I won't go through them all but there's one skill in particular that bothers me -- the driving skill. Since the higher the skill my character steers the cars more quickly, it simply means before levelling up the skill, I was handicapped in terms of driving. More over, there are consequences as a result of the faster vehicle turn rate, making a lot of the top tier cars uncontrollable at high speed, as it "over reacts" to my inputs.

So I wondered if the skill is of any mechanical benefit to the game at all. GTAV has this too, and with it maxed on PC, I got the same issue. Although that might've just been caused by the 60FPS...

It seems to me, in a game where a player probably spends at least half of his/her playtime driving (and therefore the skill will always increase -- keep in mind this is an action-adventure game, so assume no assign skill points and specs), is there really any reason that this skill exists in the game.

submitted by /u/lcmiracle
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.