True Gaming Open-world games and "why am I the only one running around?" (assassins creed origin epiphany).


Open-world games and "why am I the only one running around?" (assassins creed origin epiphany).

Posted: 11 Feb 2018 08:30 AM PST

Hi all,

I was playing Assassins Creed Origins lately.
It is not bad :
- It is a pretty game
- with interesting setting
- original NPC faces, they are good looking people but not perfect looking, i gotta give to ubisoft for creating "realistic" heroes.
- and the game acts as a good way to brush up history and such

(but very boring repetitive gameplay, as usual with ubisofts and open world games in general).

I.

One thing that came up to me why playing and that was kind of a ridiculous feeling : My character is a mad man running around all the time.

Everyone is walking, minding his own business, like a calm person, and I am running around insanely. From icon to icon, from map marker to map marker, from NPCs to NPCs.... it makes no sense. And I remember feeling the same way while playing Witcher 3 and Zelda BTOW.

The game world ceases to be a game world is a more like a Theme Park and you are the only "intelligent" person running from machines to machines. Everything becomes so fake because everything is waiting for you to make it happen and you are running towards it.

I understand that if you were walking it would take too much time to do stuff. But why ? ... because...the "Points of Interests" (NPC, quests marker)... are....too.... far from each other? So the potential walking is not the problem, it is the layout of the quests markers?

So, question, is it possible to have the player character act like he belongs to the wold ? because right now, in open world game you dont belong, you run around, your actions have few consequences, and NPCs are just a backfrop.

II.

Aslo, about the Fast Travel.

It is often discussed and criticized. But let see why is there fast travel. In Assassins Creed Origins I saw that MANY quests makes you actually go back and forth from A to B and back to A. Of course, without Fast Travel it would be cumbersome.

So instead of saying "we need fast travel", how about we change the quests structures so we don't need it.

There are 2 choices I see:
- quests become very local, you stay in a very local area (accessible on foot) to complete the quest. no need to fast travel back and forth.
- quests are directional, the start at A, then B, then C (points which are in line). The "another" quests, around area C, would maybe encourage you to go back to A (passing by a D point in between). No fast travel, and the motivation to move is there.

I hope this will stir up some discussions.

submitted by /u/biggergamedesign
[link] [comments]

Any god games that can take a very hands-off approach?

Posted: 11 Feb 2018 10:12 AM PST

I know the genre hasn't seen much action lately, but I was curious if something like this existed. I'd really like to find something where the citizens do their own thing, build where they want to build, and I have the option of exerting my influence if I feel like it. Hell, it's almost like I want a city builder where the citizens build what they want or need without making me the sole cityplanner.

Not really a god game but one of the only games that matched this feeling was Distant Worlds, since you can have the AI handle everything from colonization to military combat. Great game, but I'd like something a little more cozy.

submitted by /u/Godwine
[link] [comments]

Why do so many games lack ambient dialogue?

Posted: 11 Feb 2018 01:05 PM PST

The GTA series does this the best. The protagonist will comment on almost every dynamic occurrence in the game. Ped hit your car: "You ruined my ride!" Police come after you: "Ah shit, it's the 5-0."

Uncharted also does this well. Nate is always making remarks during gunfights. When a grenade lands near you he'll say something like "shit shit shit!" under pressure. Even your AI buddies have a ton of lines.

To me ambient dialogue like that makes it so much more immersive, and brings life to the character instead of being an empty killing machine. In Mafia 3 the cutscenes were so well done, but Lincoln's practically a mute during gameplay. Witcher 3 was okay with its ambient dialogue but had too few lines.

It seems fairly easy to implement, it's just VO work right?

submitted by /u/gunjoesmithy
[link] [comments]

Anyone want to fill a survey for my PhD thesis on gaming? :)

Posted: 11 Feb 2018 10:35 AM PST

Hello everyone :) I'm doing my PhD on gaming and would like to ask for your participation in filling a short questionnaire. You'll be helping me a lot by answering these questions ;)

The questionnaire is here: https://goo.gl/forms/gTjLvxPvFFA4nvKX2

Thank you so much in advance :)

submitted by /u/Kaedro
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.