Civilization - So that's how it would look like in real life


So that's how it would look like in real life

Posted: 02 Feb 2018 06:45 AM PST

After watching the live stream, I'm disappointed that religion doesn't affect loyalty.

Posted: 02 Feb 2018 01:42 PM PST

Religion is already kind of a weak mechanic if you aren't going for a religious victory, so much so that on higher difficulties, it's skipped entirely. I was hoping this would make investing in religion/holy sites more worth it. Maybe something along the lines of "If your capital's religion is different from a city in your empire, that city lose like 0.25 loyalty per citizen that has that religion." Or something like "If it's a religion you founded, then every citizen of that religion gives you 0.25 loyalty regardless of what civ they are in."

submitted by /u/culturalappropriator
[link] [comments]

Civilization VI: Rise and Fall - Temple of Artemis (Wonder Movies)

Posted: 02 Feb 2018 07:02 AM PST

"Wonder Whoring"

Posted: 02 Feb 2018 10:15 AM PST

Oh my god guys! Someone's released an Earth 2018 scenario mod!

Posted: 02 Feb 2018 12:27 AM PST

[OFFICIAL STREAM] Loyalty Deep Dive: Devs Play Mapuche

Posted: 02 Feb 2018 12:06 PM PST

Cheers, Brazilians, for your great leader Peter II.

Posted: 02 Feb 2018 03:44 PM PST

I've been reading a lot the last few weeks about some of the leaders of the civilizations in Civ 6, and I have to say, the story of Peter II is amazing. His philosofy, his sageness, his humility... what a wonderful person! Quoting Javier Tomeo: Pedro II is "the good emperor" (comparing him with his father, Peter I), everyone loves him: monogamous, polyglot, cult, he reigned fifty years, he built an empire, he even spoke Guarani (he spoke like 10 languages or so) ... he was so perfect that I could not dramatize him, I could not write about him.

submitted by /u/ThanatosMvP
[link] [comments]

Mapuche Theme - Atomic (Civilization VI Rise & Fall OST Preview)

Posted: 02 Feb 2018 04:14 PM PST

Misleading Tech Tree prerequisite information.

Posted: 02 Feb 2018 02:40 PM PST

Having Nuclear Devices should be a bigger deal

Posted: 02 Feb 2018 05:45 AM PST

Hey everyone, I've been thinking for a while, since Civ V, about the consequences that should exist for developing nuclear weapons. By consequences I mean simply it'd be cool if there was a feature were the AI took note of you getting nuclear weapons, as countries would in the real world. In BNW there was the nuclear nonproliferation, which was cool, but at the same time I think the further one gets to unlocking nuclear weapons, the world stage of leaders could voice their concern or support for you. That way, if you still want to research the weapons, those who ask you to stop or advise against it will get some negative relationship modifier as you progress towards unlocking them, and at the end have a modifier for possessing a nuclear weapon. On top of that, using a nuclear weapon should have some effect on how the AI treats you; I understand allies are allies but does everyone condone the use of a Thermonuclear device whenever? I wish you would face heavy diplomatic problems for using NW, just so the decision to actually use them gets harder to decide on. As it stands, you get nukes, use them, and that's pretty much the end of it other than the AI you targeted getting a negative relationship modifier (maybe other civs get mad too, not 100% on civ 6). Especially with Rise and Fall coming out with loyalty, using nukes could effectively be a tool (if implemented) to cause another country to be in a dark age and/or possibly cause your citizens to be less loyal to you. I think about North Korea and how the US has condemned their research into NW, and there's a lot of pressure for them not to use it. That essentially is what I am referring to.

TL;DR: Researching and using Nuclear weapons should have diplomatic consequences instead of AI's not reacting too much about them.

This is all just my opinion, so I hope to hear what you guys think~

submitted by /u/furon747
[link] [comments]

New Civ: Sokoto Caliphate

Posted: 02 Feb 2018 05:43 PM PST

The whole thing is still very much a work in progress. Ill write down my general ideas. I'm going to post what I've got as well as why I chose what I did. The general idea is melding military and faith. I want it to be primarily a religious civ with bonuses to military and production.

Why the Caliphate you may ask? On TSL maps there is no one in West Africa. The Caliphate was the largest empire in West Africa and since Kongo doesn't have a religious emphasis and neither does Nubia or Egypt I figured it would bring some variety to the civs on the continent. I am also writing a thesis paper for graduate school on the Caliphate so I am interested in them.

Civilization: Sokoto Caliphate

Leader: Uthman dan Fodio - The founder of the caliphate. I debated choosing his son, Muhammad Bello, but decided to stick with Uthman since there is more background for him. If Firaxis made it (I doubt they would ever) they could have chosen Nana Asma'u (Uthman's daughter) who was instrumental in women's education and advised multiple caliphs. She didn't lead the caliphate technically but that did not stop them from choosing Catherine for France.

Leader Trait: Amir Al Mu'minin (Commander of the Faithful in Arabic) - Receives bonus to production and faith generation for ten turns when declaring a war of territorial expansion. Unlocks War of Territorial Expansion at Theology. I considered changing this to when declaring Holy War but didn't feel it fit with the rest of his bonuses being against Civs with the same religion.

Civilization Ability: Mujadidd (Reformer) - Combat victories near foreign cities that follow this religion decrease loyalty. OR -1 loyalty for each follower of Sokoto's religion in foreign cities (I understand this might be OP). OR Foreign cities that follow Sokoto's religion receive increased loyalty pressure from Sokoto cities. Obviously this is very much up in the air. All three of these reflect the actual history of the event. The first would represent the fact that when Uthman began his campaigns his forces were small but his military victories drew more people to join him. The second would be reflective of Uthman and other Ulema calling for reforms in the cities they were in to be more like Degel. The third is reflective of the fact many people left their cities to live in Degel and seek guidance from Uthman. The increased loyalty to Sokoto cities reflects them leaving or wanting to leave (Gobir's rulers prohibited conversion and attacked people who were traveling toward Uthman eventually).

Unique Building: Jama'at - Replaces the Temple. Bonus production equal to the adjacency bonus of the Holy Site. Additionally, increases religious pressure emanating from the city. Why This? Jama'at is a community or a gathering typically of Muslims. In an earlier West African context this typically referred to rural Muslim communities. The gathering of Muslims created a productive enclave for them. The bonus here is subject to change. I considered giving it a science bonus or culture because these places typically produced literature and scientific centers but I felt that was too close to Arabia. I feel like this building also allows Sokoto to be a bit more flexible with the production bonus. I felt the culture bonus might detract from the theme.

Unique Unit: Mujahideen - Replaces Swordsmen. +5 Combat Strength against civilizations that follow the same religion as Sokoto. Why this? Uthman was focused on reform. Many of the places he and his forces conquered to create the conflict were supposed to be Muslim states. In reality, they had many "innovations" (that's what he called them) which essentially meant they were making adjustments and moving away from Orthodox practice. His calls for reform angered the rulers of Gobir who tried to assassinate him and sent their armies to attack his community at Degel and Gudu. They also took Muslims as slaves which was forbidden by the Qu'ran (Gobir was nominally Muslim) I feel that the unit represents this somewhat. Additionally, I wanted it to be different from Spain.

After reviewing all this, it seems like the bonuses treat religion as a tool to achieve a domination victory rather than the focus. I might go back and revise. Names are all also subject to change.

submitted by /u/Finances1212
[link] [comments]

How the hell did people play Civ IV?

Posted: 02 Feb 2018 02:07 PM PST

Some background : I started with Civilization IV and all its DLC but bought and moved on to V when i was 30 hours into IV, so I don't have lots of experience with it(now I'm playing VI).

So, a couple days ago I moved back to my parents house for a few days and played a bit of civ 4 to pass the time on my dad's pc (it couldn't run 5 or 6).I decided to play at the medium and small continents map setting with islands in between. When I'm playing 5 or 6 I'm playing(and winning) on 4.Prince, so I decided to play on 4.Noble. Shaka and Ramsess are in my continent, everything's fine and at around turn 150 I have 2 cities and they have 5-6 each. What the hell happened? How can they support all these cities? Anyways, they're severely underleveled and I have good relations with both of them so I figure everything will be fine and continue growing my 2 good cities.A report came in stating I was the 2nd most advanced civilization while Shaka was last, further boosting my ego.

Then, outta nowhere they both declare war on me and now three stacks of 10+ units are about to attack my city with 5 longbowmen for defense (what happened next will not surprise you!)

Feeling ultimately deceived by my friend Shaka and his vassal state Egypt(when did that happen?) I rage quit the game, but decide to come back stonger. I pick Alexander and play at the same settings. The Ottomans and Japan are on my continent. I am the first to settle a second city and Japan settles a city near it. I start building longbowmen for defense and then start building a lot of Phalanx units and Catapults for the inevitable attack. Inbetween I also settle a third city. My relationship with the Ottomans is friendly, which is good, but Japan is Annoyee for some reason. Better for me!

My first Phalanx units are rolling AND HERE COMES SULEIMAN WITH 5 CITIES DECLARING WAR AT ME! What the actual fuck Suleiman, cant you see that one if your bordering cities has 3 units to defend it and my unique unit is in this era? I bring some of my units in said city, bring its defenses at 0 with 3 catapults and defend my other bordering city with 10(!) longbowmen, the most advanced 'ranged' unit I had. Now, if I want to attack the city I mentioned I have to sacrifice some troops, so I figure i'll sacrifice the catapults. I do the collateral damage with all of them, then rush with my phalanx units (1-2 get killed) then raze his fucking city hoping to teach him a lesson.

Here comes the part that made me lose my shit. I have to churn out troops and throw them at Suleiman's seemingly infinite stacks that he's throwing at me. Stack 1 has 10 units. Gets defeated. I let my troops heal for a while before launching another offensive AND ANOTHER STACK APPEARS! Again, I have to sacrifice troops to get it, then wait to replenish & heal my army, but then a new stack appears!

Somehow I managed to move into his borders with around 10 mace men (This war has costed me so much development and yet I researched new troops while at it) and 4 trebuchets. The city's defenses are finally at zero, but my mace men are all critically low and the city still has 6 defenders! HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? I HAD 2X THE TROOPS WHEN I ATTACKED! My supply line now includes workers making roads in his territory while some of my troops derail to attack lone or small stacks, slowing down my attack. Finally, I get to the city and raze it and sue for peace. That prick Suleiman only wanted white peace. If this was civ 5 or 6 I would keep the war on until he's annihilated, but if I have to waste another 65 turns seiging a level 5 city i'll literally kill my self. IM. NOT. KIDDING.

Now, another civ contacted me from another continent. I look at the scoreboard which I once ruled only to find Suleiman slightly ahead of me and Japan. This was OK, but the new civ had twice the points? HOW? Anyways, I decide to continue, AND HERE COMES JAPAN WITH 50 UNITS DEVIDED IN 3 STACKS! WHEN WILL THE WARS END?

Thats the last thing that happened before I uninstalled civ 4 and went to play some games at kongregate.

So, my question to the cic veterans :How dis you play civ 4? I'd rather die than having to go through civ 4's combat again.

submitted by /u/two_number_9s
[link] [comments]

TIL: Magnus was ment to be a pirate

Posted: 02 Feb 2018 11:59 AM PST

What R&F Civ are you playing first?

Posted: 02 Feb 2018 08:22 AM PST

I know details on the Zulu have yet to surface, but what will be your first choice?

As a non-agg player, I'm thinking either Scotland or Korea. Cree looks like it'll be fun too. I'm curious to see how easy it is to flip cities. That will really change my game play.

submitted by /u/McDipdadip
[link] [comments]

The Mapuche vs the Spanish Empire - Fanmade Image Edition

Posted: 01 Feb 2018 09:05 PM PST

This Ancient Civilization Was Twice As Big As Medieval England

Posted: 02 Feb 2018 12:26 PM PST

T.J. from PC Gamer here. We're doing a piece on why Civ 5 is still more popular than Civ 6. Fill out this short survey to let us know and leave your thoughts in the comments!

Posted: 02 Feb 2018 02:24 PM PST

My best starting position yet!

Posted: 02 Feb 2018 02:09 PM PST

Rise and Fall and vanilla civs

Posted: 02 Feb 2018 11:35 AM PST

Was going over all of the new features coming with rise and fall and I was wondering if and how the Civilizations that are included in the vanilla game will be adapted to take advantage of the new features. Anyone have any ideas or insight?

submitted by /u/D7ad
[link] [comments]

[Civ VI] The idea of losing era score for making poor decisions would be interesting.

Posted: 01 Feb 2018 11:17 PM PST

In Rise and Fall, we can gain era score by exploring, building unique units/buildings, setting up a government, and so on, in order to avoid dark ages or achieve golden ages. However, losing era score for things like citizens rebelling, cities declaring independence and becoming free cities, units dying, being the last civ to enter an era, and so on, would be an interesting mechanic to add. Strong early-game civs could hit golden ages early, but then take hits if they don't snowball at their powerspike, and strong mid/late-game civs could suffer early but dominate late, depending on how they play. This system could potentially make the game more historically accurate by playing around the strengths of each civ relative to their golden ages in real life.

submitted by /u/D_EnginEAR
[link] [comments]

Civ 6 giveaway

Posted: 02 Feb 2018 07:15 PM PST

I'm about to go watch a movie and I also have a spare civ 6 key.

I want to hear a joke. It can be any kind of joke I like them all.

When the movie is over, I will pick my favorite joke and you get my Civ 6 key.

Your Reddit account also must be at least 2 months old and have 100 karma minimum.

submitted by /u/Sandi315
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.