True Gaming Do kids these days make avid use of game guides like in the 90s?


Do kids these days make avid use of game guides like in the 90s?

Posted: 24 Nov 2017 05:24 PM PST

Probably earlier too, I just grew up in the 90s so I don't want to talk about things I wasn't there for.

As a kid I and everyone I knew always looked up stuff on magazine guides for any games we played. We always wanted to be on top of the game, grab all the stuff and exploit all the exploits. I never even thought about it back then, why wouldn't I want to have all the advantages I could? The idea of game balance or spoilers never even crossed my mind, I just wanted to win.

Now it's been ages since I've done that, I always go into games as blind as possible to avoid spoilers and experience the game as the developers intended, without other people's opinions clouding my own. The idea of using exploits to become overpowered and beat the final boss in one hit sounds incredibly boring to me now, but I loved it as a kid.

What are kids like these days regarding games? I have zero contact with children at this point in my life so I'm curious. Do they still seek guides as much as we did or do they just play the games without much outside help?

(By kids I mean, say, 13 and lower. Not teenagers)

submitted by /u/irelann
[link] [comments]

Exploration in video games - Specifically; Metro: Last Light Redux

Posted: 25 Nov 2017 04:49 AM PST

I am currently playing through Metro: Last Light Redux and thoroughly enjoying it.

However, I find myself backtracking and exploring every nook and cranny in every level to find as many supplies, secrets and collectibles as I can. This then means that I can spend a large amount of time on one level. I wouldn't categorize myself as a completionist, per se, but I want to get as much done of a level as I can and get as much from it, as I have said.

This may sound ridiculous but, this backtracking and going down every possible route on a level kind of breaks my immersion. Realistically, being a Spartan, you would want to get to your objective via the best/easiest route possible. However, I cannot just get to my objective without exploring the level entirely.

As stupid as this post may seem, I just want to get a couple of your guys' views on this type of play style and whether or not you adopt it.

TL;DR - Do you explore every nook and cranny of a level before moving on or do you just complete each level without exploring 100% of it?

Cheers guys!

submitted by /u/Soup-Drogen
[link] [comments]

Wolfenstein: The Responsabilities of Alt-History Stories

Posted: 25 Nov 2017 08:40 AM PST

Nazis have been a staple of videogames and popular culture for years. Because of this, it seems we went through every possible iteration of the same discussion: "Is there a reason we shouldn't let gamers play as Axis soldiers in games? Should it be considered offensive to set a game in such an immense tragedy?" The collective answer seems to have been a resounding no. Nevertheless, games aiming at recounting a deeper story set in World War 2 are often appreciated (or criticized, if they do something wrong) for how they handle a delicate topic which is otherwise pretty much ignored by AAA games. Wolfenstein: The New Order has for example been praised for the earnest depiction of the Holocaust, while its sequel has been criticized for its lazy depiction of a Nazi-dominated America, which has been described as inferior in worldbuilding when compared to its predecessor. The lack of significant interaction with the KKK has been cited as a missed opportunity. In my blog I argued that popular alternate history stories generally do a great disservice to their audience by using a very defined entity such as the Third Reich as a front for an array of "big bads" it hardly represented in real life. I argue that this is because true, aberrant actions of the Nazis often struggle to resonate with Western European and American audiences, simply because most of the public would have been affected to a relatively lesser degree than those populations facing outright mass murder. Now, Wolfenstein is one of those games which heavily fluctuate between over-the-top action and dead-serious moments, but I think we can all agree it has the merit of at least trying to explore the horror of fascism.

  • How do you think Wolfenstein handles the topic?
  • Is the personal struggle of Blaskowitz complementary to the one against fascism or does the alternate history setting only serve gameplay and backdrop functions?
  • Do you think games should have the same historical accountability of other mediums?
submitted by /u/NietzschesMustaches
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.