True Dota 2 - Is It (Finally) Time to Talk About Lina?!


Is It (Finally) Time to Talk About Lina?!

Posted: 27 Mar 2017 10:09 AM PDT

One of my first ever Reddit threads was a post on this very sub re: the Lina + Bloodstone combo. I haven't been playing nearly as much Dota lately—thanks From Software—but I tuned in to catch some DAC 2017 and "lone f*cking behold" not only are core Linas in seemingly every other game (OK perhaps not THAT many but you get the idea), but they're buying GOOD items too. Bloodstone, BoTs, Shadow Blade...

This hero has been criminally underrated since forever in large part due to the most popular builds revolving almost entirely around comboing her spells with Eul's to blow up one hero, but there's so much more to her than just that. She has huge attack range, an incredibly potent steroid that also makes her fast, craps out magic damage in an AoE besides her big single target nuke ult and even comes with her own AoE skillshot stun. Give the girl a Bloodstone and not only does she farm insanely fast but she can have all the stacks of her passive up pretty much permanently. Her right-click potential is way higher than she's often credited for.

For reference, Lina pro games in 7.04: https://www.opendota.com/explorer?patch=7.04&hero=25

I am personally a huge fan of a fast Bloodstone followed by BoTs and a Platemail typically. Shadow Blade (which of course is not a new thing—it's been around forever) seems like a perfect fit in many games where Lina seeks to become a right-clicker on top of a spellcaster, and man, that respawn timer talent combined with Bloodstone seems damn synergistic to say the least.

submitted by /u/Harlequeens
[link] [comments]

Discussion: A ranking system that resets MMR after every season

Posted: 27 Mar 2017 03:00 AM PDT

I already posted this on r/Dota2, but I think people didn't make it past the headline. So hopefully we will have a discussion here :)

A lot of games have a system that resets the MMR of a player after a particular amount of time. Valve seems to have tested a system like this with the International. But the mayor difference was that it was optional and it only affected you "real" MMR if it was better than your real MMR, cause otherwise no one would have transferred it. I am not sure what valve wanted to do with this System, because it was never designed to be used by the majority of players.

Here is why I think it would be better to permanently introduce a ranking system that resets after a season in DotA2:

  • it would make account buying less attractive, especially towards the end of a season. Also the mentality of a account buyer normally is that they deserve a higher MMR and thus it is ok to buy an account. With season ranked though they have a chance to prove that they can calibrate at a higher MMR at the beginning of a season and at the same time the account they buy will not permanently have the high MMR. And maybe rather sooner than later they will have to buy a new account.
    Not saying this will eliminate account buying, but it would definitely reduce it.

  • it will give valve a chance to rescale the ranking distribution. At the moment most of the players are <2500MMR. This creates problems for low MMR players and high MMR players. In lower MMRs it is very difficult to get to a higher MMR number because you have to get better than a huge amount of players. This leads to frustration for the players that actually improve, but get no "reward" from the game, because their MMR number only improves slightly.
    High MMR players on the other side face the situation that they are given a huge importance in the game. The system always ques them with significantly worse players and ques them against players that have the same MMR on average. In the end there very often will be the situation that the extremely high MMR player will have to carry 4 idiots against a team that functions better because they are more equal in their MMR and therefore lead to unenjoyable games for the pro. But what if 10k MMR was actually achievable ? Let's say the best 1000 players of DotA (just a random guess, Valve would need to figure out a number based on their Data) are able to reach 10k MMR. This would cap how much one player is able to outweigh the bad performance of his teammates, because since he technically might be 11k, but the system is capped at 10k. Because of that the discrepancy between him and the rest of the team is lower.
    Maybe you would have to ask Pros how they feel about their situation, but given how much they flame even on the stream i guess it can't be too much fun playing pubs for them.
    Yes it would also no longer be possible to say: "This is the best player at the moment". But honestly: If I want to look who is the best player I look at TI-Winners and Mayor-Winners.

  • The current system is unable to recognize jumps in skill. If I would improve a lot by watching replays and coaching videos, this would raise my MMR, but would require a lot of games. This might dis encourage players from trying to improve in the future, because they don't see the connection between them learning and them being rewarded with higher MMR. It might be equally likely that they just improved by playing a lot of games. Than they will play a lot of games, but don't improve at all and get frustrated. A restart every season would give players an incentive to improve, because they are given a realistic chance to be rewarded. This would make it necessary though to desync seasons and mayor gameplay patches.

  • it would take away pressure for the players, because at the moment loosing MMR feels like a permanent loss. Having a seasonal MMR makes it more fun to try out things and not always get super frustrated when games go poorly. If you are actually better you will be calibrated at the MMR you deserve. This would make games more fun to play, because actually improving is more important than always spamming the most Meta builds and heroes to abuse the system.

What do you guys think about a change like this ? I am also open for discussions if you think otherwise ;)

submitted by /u/Proxi98
[link] [comments]

It's been a few days, what uses are you finding for the new +4 Treants talent on furion?

Posted: 27 Mar 2017 05:29 AM PDT

I heard earlier that they could possibly be used to surround someone? Personally I've only really been using them for an increase in building damage and scouting ability, it's pretty handy to be able to scout out three spots and still have 6 treants to push with. Can you all confirm that the blocking thing works/doesn't and what are some other tricks you have found with the new horde?

submitted by /u/Hobo124
[link] [comments]

How should Chaos Knight be played in this patch?

Posted: 27 Mar 2017 09:45 AM PDT

I've been seeing more and more CKs in my games and he seems to be pretty strong right now. One of the most unique builds i saw (and part of the reason i'm writing this) is a double halberd build. i played against it in battle cup finals and our team had almost no answers to it. It has recently got multiple buffs and it seems to be a great item on CK. I believe that the evasion chance and chance to proc a slow stacks so buying multiple is pretty good. the active is also pretty good and can win a fight in the right situation. Not to mention the crazy stats that the illusions gets from the item. I don't know if this is the best build for CK right now but it definitely seems viable in the right situation. Another build i've seen for CK is the naga/alch build. armlet, radiance, manta, octarine, heart. He may have gone vlads but if he did he sold it before he game ended. There's so many options now a days for carries like CK and i'm interested in seeing your thoughts on him. Also for his skill build i think everything is pretty basic but if you have some thoughts on that that's good too.

P.S. just an after thought, support CK also seems to be gaining some popularity especially with his new aghs. i don't know much about that skill or item build but i hear its pretty good.

submitted by /u/UnderlordJungler
[link] [comments]

Centaur

Posted: 27 Mar 2017 12:16 PM PDT

What's the big deal with Centaur at the moment? I keep seeing his name pop up and I stopped playing a bunch when 7.00 came out. Why is he picked and what are the typical builds at the moment?

submitted by /u/Smuckerz13
[link] [comments]

What about drums rush on slardar ?

Posted: 27 Mar 2017 02:45 PM PDT

Since drums cost got reduced, i can see it being good on support/roamer type of heroes since it gives decent stats and a good active for figths

i think about tryng some build on roamer/gready support slardar that goes tranquil boots, windlace, wand, and then upgrades windlace into drums before blink

why i think it can be good ?, well slardar likes to buy wind lace in most situations and its nice that you can upgrade it to a cheap item that gives mana regen with some stats, also i want to try if both wand and drums for mana sustain could justify the 6 hp regen talent over 175 mana

What do you think ? maybe drums after blink or not drums at all ?

submitted by /u/Manaoscola
[link] [comments]

What does it take to be a good Earth Spirit player?

Posted: 27 Mar 2017 12:46 PM PDT

I mean this less in the way of combos and skill usage (i.e. skill shots, item builds, etc). Because those things are learned through playing the hero and getting used to his spells.

What I want to know is, what sort of decisions do I have to make and how does my positioning skills apply to playing an efficient ES.

I tried to watch some of the higher level pro Earth Spirit players, but the stuff they do seems to be way different than any other hero in the game. It makes it a bit hard for me to wrap my head around.

submitted by /u/ArcticIceFox
[link] [comments]

Who is benefiting the most from the steadily increased maim chances on SnY?

Posted: 27 Mar 2017 03:53 PM PDT

Title. I think characters that benefit the most from it are those that are not only easily kited, but also have trouble getting in a few hits at a time. For example, Troll Warlord doesn't actually really care that much about increased Maim chance, since when he ganks out of Shadowblade he's getting a twelve dozen hits in within a few seconds-- ONE of them is going to maim whether it's 25% of the time or 40%.

Conversely, those like Razor who don't build much attack speed and have trouble getting those first couple hits in, really appreciate having better odds to maim to follow up on.

What are your thoughts?

submitted by /u/765Bro
[link] [comments]

how to play invo against ta?

Posted: 27 Mar 2017 06:07 AM PDT

title says it all

submitted by /u/ponkan_26
[link] [comments]

How to win lane as invoker?

Posted: 27 Mar 2017 01:48 PM PDT

I can never win my lane as an invoker.

What should i be doing early game? And how do i play invoker early game?

EQ INVOKER

submitted by /u/antihope4evil
[link] [comments]

Tell me about Invoker's weaknesses

Posted: 27 Mar 2017 12:59 PM PDT

Is Sven back to the good old 6.86 build?

Posted: 27 Mar 2017 11:56 AM PDT

The build used to be Treads -> HoTD -> SnY / Blink -> Blink / SnY

Now I noticed that a lot of people are doing it in this new patch: https://www.dotabuff.com/heroes/sven/guides

The build feels kinda right, slow with more uptime, gives more mobility, I'm curious on what do Sven pickers think about this.

submitted by /u/HAWGT
[link] [comments]

What if towers obstructed vision

Posted: 27 Mar 2017 09:51 AM PDT

I've been wondering about this for a while. Do you think it would be balanced?

TPing in the fog and channeling an epicentre into an unsuspecting enemy sounds nice. But getting juked to death while diving doesn't.

submitted by /u/ThzChz
[link] [comments]

Thoughts on S&Y on lycan.

Posted: 27 Mar 2017 08:36 AM PDT

With the rise of carry lycan in the lane, would SnY be a viable pick up replacing echo? Lycan doesn't really need the mana regen since carry lycan doesn't even touch wolfs until later. And with the buff to SnY maim, you'll get more chances to proc a slow. And boosting the mid game power spike that lycan has.

submitted by /u/captianAwesomeX
[link] [comments]

Do you follow the pro scene? If so, would you give us feedback on our new podcast?

Posted: 26 Mar 2017 03:49 PM PDT

They say anticipating a fun thing coming up is as mentally rewarding as actually doing the thing.

If that's true, DAC is going to be the bomb! We have been salivating ever since they announced this tournament.

This is going to be the first time since December all three of the top teams are playing together in the same tournament. Besides that, half the field is Chinese and the crowd in Shanghai is going to fall in love with one of the six Chinese teams. We just don't know which one yet.

We wanted to get this episode out before the games start Monday 3/28 in Shanghai.

Listen on iTunes

Listen on SoundCloud

Listen on Stitcher

Glimpse Ep 003 show notes:

  • [00:41] Lorton takes on Aden and a Redditor over whether The International is a Major

  • [05:06] The long shots -- Empire and LGD.FY

  • [08:41] We predict the most picked hero at DAC

  • [09:31] The Chinese teams that had to qualify -- IG, IG.V and VG.J

  • [17:54] The good teams from minor regions -- NP and Faceless

  • [23:55] We predict the most banned hero at DAC

  • [24:49] The Chinese teams that got direct invites -- Newbee and Wings

  • [30:34] We predict which Chinese team will finish highest at DAC

  • [31:56] The favorites -- Liquid, OG, and EG

  • [41:23] We predict which team will win the DAC main event

  • [42:45] Last hits -- Slippers of Agility, Mushi's new team, Epicenter, and PPD at DAC.

submitted by /u/sharkbutlerdota
[link] [comments]

Whats with the increase in battle fury juggernaut recently?

Posted: 27 Mar 2017 07:19 AM PDT

What are the do's and don'ts during the laning phase?

Posted: 26 Mar 2017 07:20 PM PDT

In terms of general things to do during the laning phase (the first 10 minutes, others say 15 minutes.)? For support, offlaners, mid and safelane carry.

submitted by /u/takuwara
[link] [comments]

Fighting as Monkey King?

Posted: 26 Mar 2017 09:11 PM PDT

When I play Monkey King, I tend to do very well in the early game and get a lot of kills, but once teamfights begin, I find myself dying before I can do much, and I frequently throw away my lead. This is a weakness for me in general, but it's especially significant when I play MK. Any tips on how to better position myself and join fights so I don't die so easily? Both specific to Monkey King and in general?

submitted by /u/NotQuiteSane42
[link] [comments]

Clinkz starting items?

Posted: 26 Mar 2017 09:10 PM PDT

I loved picking this hero against certain lineups, I felt he was really strong this patch but after the slippers change what the fuck do I buy? I use to get tango, salve, branch, circlet and recipe but now you can't buy slippers so idk what to get. The other build is tango salve 3 branches circlet or 2 tangos circlet and 4 branches but I feel like you can't make wand on this hero with all the early game items you want such as boots, blightstone, aquila, soul ring, raindrops, dragon lance into deso/orchid. Having a wand just will have it sold too fast and I'm not convinced on dropping raindrops for it due to searing arrows farm speed and mana being crucial on him.

submitted by /u/GGharjan
[link] [comments]

Returning to DOTA 2 after almost a year, need a hero to start maining and a lot of tips.

Posted: 26 Mar 2017 08:51 PM PDT

Last time I played, I was crap. I didn't have anyone to main (mained DP for a while, then stopped because my win rate was in the low 30%s), I didn't know how to move, I was crap at last hitting and my tactics were all over.

I think I've gotten better with my fingers (reasoning is increased typing speed) so I think I might be better with some parts but I'd still appreciate some tips and maybe a few suggestions for what hero to main.

Thanks.

Extra information: Was calibrating and lost every single calibration game (played 7 of them or so). Am in LP for disconnecting often (bad wifi, welcome to Australia. Looking forward to NBN).

submitted by /u/soccerfinisher1
[link] [comments]

How to play support vengeful spirit in the early game?

Posted: 26 Mar 2017 05:16 PM PDT

I've won a few games recently where I seriously question if the game outcome occurred despite my poor play.

I have been ending games with bad KDA's

I have had monumentally shit laning stages

Every game, however, I end up with like, 7-10 score in support, like 4-6 in pushing, 6-10 in fighting and 1.8-4 in farming.

My combined totals are usually near 18-22 so I look at those numbers and I'm like: OK, even with a shit KDA, somehow I'm making a positive game impact. And I know when it's happening, it's happening in the later stages of the game usually once I get my pike.

But my problem is the early game. I'll frequently go 0/3, or 0/4/2, like, really, really bad lanes. And I have no idea why it's so bad.

I'm very frequently totally torn between using my magic missile as an offensive tool and as a defensive one. Do I use it to give my carry a moment respite if he's getting initiated on? Or do I use it to harass? Or do I use it to initiate when I think we can get a kill?

I usually start with:

tangos, courier, ward, Rop+3 clarities

OR

tangos, courier, ward, circlet, 2x iron branch, 1 clarity

If I start with the RoP I go basilius first, if I start with the stats I go wand first. I like the RoP build because I can use my abilities a fair bit to generate a lot of harass, and the armor is useful. But the wand build gives me two successive casts of magic missile due to 48 more mana pool at startup which can lead to an early FB.

I'm lost, any help would be appreciated.

Here's my last few games:

https://www.dotabuff.com/players/284497530

ya, I've won a few lately, but look at how many deaths I have, it's embarrassing :(

submitted by /u/The_other_lurker
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.