True Dota 2 - Draft Recap: Do we need a stun?


Draft Recap: Do we need a stun?

Posted: 22 Feb 2017 12:55 PM PST

Link: https://captainsmode.wordpress.com/2017/02/22/draft-recap-do-we-need-a-stun/

Text:

This draft is not neatly themed like the minus-armor right-clicker strat in my last post; much more an assembly of counter-picks and comfort heroes than anything else. We'll start with some quick notes about hero picks, then move on to the title topic of stuns and, why the fuck don't I ever pick them??

  • Riki fell out of the pro meta, but I think he would fit well right now. He's very solid at all levels of play and seems to counter a lot of popular heroes; I've played him six times this month myself and all I do is counter-pick. As well, anywhere under 5k he is straight up a power hero with a top tier win %. Plus comfort.
  • Actually not super fond of Juggernaut right now, but this is a comfort pick. It's quite good against Disruptor, and probably neutral with Slardar.
  • Silencer is not especially good with our lineup currently, but GS is a really good counter initiation tool against Snowball and potentially against Slar blink / Glimpse too. Helps that I consider him a power hero right now.
  • We have rather awful initiation outside of Smoke Cloud into a bunch of nukes, and conversely the enemy team is chock full of initiators. But our lineup is not easy to jump – very hard to lock down a Riki or Juggernaut, and diving into March, GS, Omnislash, Smoke Cloud is a very dangerous game. Tinker could find Ice Shards to be pretty scary (flying vision), but he matches up well everywhere else, and is a classic Viper counter in lane.
  • Offlane Necrophos helps give us killing power when an enemy hero swallows too much incidental damage from March, Rockets, Tricks, Spin, Omnislash, Curse. Again it punishes initiation, but also helps take down tanky heroes like Tusk and Viper. If their lineup is about getting the jump, ours is all counter-jump.

Okay, so what's the deal with the no stuns? If a teammate says we could use stuns, why do I say, it's okay, we'll be okay without them?

First a quick disclaimer I'm not talking about initiation, which is important too, and is also lacking, painfully. But I want to cover that topic in a separate post.

Stuns, as far as debuffs go, are situational in my view. Kind of a counter-intuitive claim, because stuns are really a catch-all; they combine every debuff together at the same time, totally the opposite of situational.

I suppose the better phrase is "stuns are situationally optimal". If you compare a stun to a slow, silence, disarm, or root, most of the time a different debuff is the best. Not because the debuff itself is better – stuns are always the best effect. It's because they are tuned more generously, they tend to last longer, or be faster to cast, or hit a larger area, or do more damage, or combine multiple effects, etc.

A stun would be optimal against say, Lina, AM, or TB. Not so much against Centaur, who suffers more against slows and roots (and damage amplifiers more than anything). A Weaver or Morphling would rather be stunned that silenced. Hex a Viper or Medusa, they don't bat an eye, but disarm them and they will all-chat you to go fuck right off.

And against Tusk + Slardar? I don't think a stun is necessary, they're pretty likely to get a couple spells off unless we initiate and stunlock them until they are dead, full hp to zero. And they are pretty tanky. I feel like longer-lasting slows and silences do more against these two heroes. When I'm Slardar trying to amp a whole team, jump in and out for crushes, I hate Curse of the Silent. And I hate Last Word. Much more annoying than a couple two second stuns.

In this game there aren't a ton of examples; our draft focuses more on avoiding clean ganks than on forcing any sort of issue. Which I think is completely fine, considering that if left alone we become a 5-core lineup… But next draft pay attention to the enemy picks and their weaknesses – stuns are sometimes but usually not the strongest way to mess with them.

As always, don't next-level yourself. Stuns are still good, don't avoid them and then blame MJJ for giving up a Shadow Fiend rampage.

-gg worst captain ever

submitted by /u/mjjdota
[link] [comments]

How should I be utilizing my key bindings?

Posted: 22 Feb 2017 05:58 AM PST

I have been slowly getting better and as this happens i've been adding more things to my keybinds. Select courier, Control Groups, Patrol etc. I feel like I can't use all the commands I want to because i'm limited to the keys i'm comfortable using and there aren't enough. I want to try out alt+key for items and that should free up some keys if it works well. I also have a mouse with 2 side buttons that I have binded, but I still feel I that i don't have enough. I know this isn't game losing or anything but sometimes not having enough control groups or not having a bind for a specific command can make games much harder. Also if any of you use alt+key commands let me know how you like it. I'm hesitant to try it because it just seems odd but I can definitely see the value in freeing up 6 keys.

submitted by /u/UnderlordJungler
[link] [comments]

[Post 7.00] Ogre Magi Off-Carry

Posted: 22 Feb 2017 01:37 PM PST

Did a little searching here, but didn't find much discussion on the matter.

Has anyone had solid success running Ogre Magi as a semi-carry in the offlane? Is there a big reason this isn't feasible? He's got Talents for damage, movespeed and attack speed.

I've only tried it twice, but manged to be a strong presence throughout both games which we won pretty handily.

I built 1-4-1/4-4-1/4-4-4. It feels counter-intuitive for a carry build, but early game your magic damage is still the huge threat.

Early in laning phase you're a threat, especially against a weak duo lane, or a carry left alone.

By the time you pick Power Treads, you're a surprising force to be reckoned with. Both in terms of casting and smacking.

I've found Rod of Atos to be a huge pickup, (+30 INT, +350 Health, 2s Root) and its variable from there. I liked the Echo Sabre/Blink combo. I could also see Basher or MKB being a nice pickup.

Anyway, I figured surely someone out there has done this more than me and much better than me. I'm just a 3k player, so I'm sure this strat gets squeezed out at higher MMRs, but I wanted to at least ask.

submitted by /u/Veeshan28
[link] [comments]

Getting better at Riki

Posted: 22 Feb 2017 08:22 AM PST

Although my name suggests other wise, starting late last year I started playing Riki more and more and have been spamming him in ranked, calling for pos 4 roaming.

I've had a lot of success with him, but know there's plenty I'm still to learn. With 60 games in, I don't have the same intimate understanding of him as I do with say Bounty Hunter (168 games, 62.5% wr) but I would like to understand the hero on that level.

My first question is talents, relatively simple. Is there ever a reason to get the 15 move speed or 30%xp? It seems like health and more armor/damage through agility are the incredibly obvious choice. I got move speed once and it just seemed to make no difference.

I understand the cast range vs stats and smoke vs cloak and dagger depending on how the game is going.

I've been playing around with skill builds, and it seems like 1-1-1 is the way to go, but I can't decide what is best to max first. I feel like backstab has the most impact, but if anyone has some insight on the pros and cons of deciding what to max first I'd like to know more.

And lastly item builds. I've tried all the boots, but roaming I have had the most success with tranquils into urn and/or echo sabre. But if I'm thrown into a situation where I'm more of a pos 2 or 3, is there a better build?

Are there some items I want in a certain order and to max some abilities to go with them? I imagine you'd want PT if you were to max cloak and dagger first. Are there any unusual items you'd suggest?

How do I know what order my items should be in? Echo seems like it has to be your first major item because of the regen it provides and early game mana is a huge problem. But if you have someone with mana boots on your team do you skip it to rush diffusal? Do you go right for a yasha?

Thanks in advance guys, because of this subreddit I'm on the verge of 4k.

submitted by /u/RikiRude
[link] [comments]

Starting fights when other team has better initiation

Posted: 22 Feb 2017 03:32 PM PST

I've noticed in my recent matches that the draft usually dictates the winner from the beginning. Usually, this means the team with the better initiation or team fight composition will win, to what seems to me, 90% of the time. For example, if our offlane and roaming support have weak disable capabilities and the other team has a Centaur it seems any fight we attempt will end in a team wipe.

The methods suggested by this subreddit and other players seem to be either look for pick-offs or split push. Pick-offs seem to be really difficult for me in the mid-game when the other team starts deathballing and only showing one or two heroes as a bait. This leaves me with the belief that I should be split-pushing as the best alternative. However, it seems split-pushing has faded out of this meta and I have had trouble taking advantageous or even trades when split-pushing.

If I end up in the situation in the draft where I'm one of the last picks as a core and my team has picked weak initiation heroes should I simply look for a hero that has good split pushing capabilities and avoid joining in on team fights if they get caught? Or should I look for a hero that attempts to fill in the gaps, even if it seems to be a sub-par solution?

What I'm mostly looking for is discussion or suggestions, however general or specific, on what methods you have found successful when the other team has the better initiation, during or after the draft. I would also be happy to hear about any suggestions of heroes as position 1/2 that are great split pushers or heroes that can shore up weak team fight compositions.

Thanks for your replies!

Edit: Before suggestions of picking the position 3/4 initiator myself, I just wanted to mention I'm usually the flex pick but I've noticed a larger influx of players mark the offlane instantly in my bracket. This is mostly for games where I'm highest mmr on my team and the others mark spots that force me into the core position.

submitted by /u/realistNg
[link] [comments]

Why good players are good and how to get there.

Posted: 22 Feb 2017 03:10 PM PST

First of all I could expand on this topic a lot but I'll keep it short because most of the things I would say you can figure it out by yourself.

Being good at DotA 2 requires you to understand a bunch of little things and nuances about the game, the reason for that is that these little things you don't know of eventually get you killed and makes you lose games you shouldn't have.

And those little things are usually linked to hero specifics and for the love of god there are 113 fucking heroes in this damn game! And for you to be decently knowledgeable about them it would require an average of 70~75 games that's at least 8500~ hours of gameplay. And while some players achieve those numbers most of then just don't have the time or just get to comfortable with the heroes they are used to play.

Fortunately I'm not those kind of players and I get bored if I hear the same voice lines 2 times and want to play a different hero. That was very good for me because I started to understand what's happening in every game I've played. For instance when somebody picks an Axe I know exactly what heroes he can kill, what are his powers spikes what itens he'll build in that particular game and so on...

And that improves your game sense so much than you just become better with every hero from that point on.

Another example: Billy here plays a lot of Anti-Mage and it's his best hero. But he just played a game that this Meepo killed him twice in the mid game after he finished his battlefury and once again in the late game when he got a hex, from that point on he just took their raxes and the game was over.

Billy there never played against a Meepo and didn't know what that hero would do against him in those particular occasions and he went on to lose that game despite being his best hero. Now imagine if Billy had played at least 10~12 games of Meepo he would understand that the hero does a lot of physical damage that AM can whistand and has 6 seconds worth of lockdown against him, he would also understand the heroes timings and would not farm in dangerous areas while Meepo is off the map.

My advice for you is when you get dicked by some hero you don't know much about is to get curious and understand exactly why you got the "D" in that game so you can move on. The best way is to play the heroes a few times so you can understand what just happened and can move on more learned about that particular matchup.

To get good a DotA it takes a lot of time you can just play the same five heroes a thousand times each and understand what other heroes than to you from your perspective but I'll never see the other side of the game and will remain forever blind of what's precisely happening in the game. You'll just have an slight idea of what's going on.

Paraphrasing Sun-Tzu: If you know your scrub opponents heroe's you will play many Dotes without losing ez mmr xD lol.

tl;dr Understand what's happening on both sides of the match by having a diverse hero pool.

submitted by /u/EvilGambit
[link] [comments]

Alternative Enigma Builds?

Posted: 22 Feb 2017 08:31 AM PST

Hey guys,

I've recently been playing a lot of Enigma. Think he's a good hero this patch. I was wondering if there's any other builds out there that I can use. I typically get Grieves, Blink, and BKB if it goes late enough.

Any item builds you like on Enigma?

submitted by /u/kalas6792
[link] [comments]

Best mids against SF?

Posted: 22 Feb 2017 12:57 PM PST

Lets assume ember and invoker are banned (I can't play invoker XD).

submitted by /u/Dat_Speed
[link] [comments]

What build do you like to use with techies?

Posted: 22 Feb 2017 05:19 AM PST

I've been playing techies a lot recently quickly becoming my highest winrate hero. I currently have approx 82% winrate on him with nearly 200 games.

 

I just wanted to share the build I follow with him but also hear what builds you guys like to go with him to see if there are any improvements I can make.

 

When playing offlane, starting items I always try to include the soul ring recipe, but then the actual items depend on if I want to bomb the trees near the lane early or the jungle for a fast level 2.

 

But after that the first item I will always build is soul ring, followed by arcanes, this allows as much mana as possible for as many bombs as possible. The soul ring can also be used to get your health low enough to deny with a blast off. I aim to have both of these built pre 10 minutes.

 

After this I'll build a bloodstone disassembling the arcanes in the process. This is mainly for the insane mana regen it gives you, allowing you to place your mines off of cool down. The deny is very useful is you don't have time for a blast off. I almost always have this completed by the 20 minute mark

 

After this I build aghs which tends to be completed around the time I hit level 12 as I skill the remotes level 11 and level 12 as find red bombs have far more impact before this with less mana cost. The extra range on the remotes let's me start to join team fights. The timing this is complete depends on how the game is going but having it 25-30 minutes is fine.

 

Then I'll build a veil if no one else has one yet as it removed enemies base 25% magic resistance increasing your bombs damage by a third.

 

After this it's straight into an aether lens to really allows you to team fight well, chucking in remote mines from safety.

 

Finally I'll finish with an octarine core and to boots as the reduced cooldown works great alongside techies level 25 talent.

 

After this tp boots and then next if the game goes long enough a hex as with the ridiculous cool down reduction you have you cab hex multiple people a fight.

 

Just wondered what builds you guys like to go, I'll often change up the order of the veil and the aether lens depending on the game, also purchasing a euls if someone has a veil already.

 

Thanks for reading.

 

TLDR: soul ring > arcanes > bloodstone > aghs > veil > aether > octarine core > tp boots > hex

 

Dotabuff: https://www.dotabuff.com/players/41413730/matches?hero=techies

submitted by /u/Colossal_Harry
[link] [comments]

What would make Shadow Shaman relevant again?

Posted: 22 Feb 2017 05:40 AM PST

I loved playing the hero especially during the TI4 meta but he just isn't viable anymore. My opinion is that he has low cast range and high mana cost on his spells, that combined with early game oriented meta and nuking-carry/mid trend just puts him in the dumpster. Thoughts?

To clarify: He also is a good early game hero himself but high manacost on his spells hurt him imo.

submitted by /u/Position10supguy
[link] [comments]

LC is no longer viable in this meta?

Posted: 22 Feb 2017 03:15 AM PST

Loved her early 7.00, but as people figure out the current patch is to 5 men+constant teamfight, i find myself losing every game with her. people group up very fast and i cant seem to find Duels other than in a teamfight where ill eventually die right after. how do you guys play her now as the enemy group up? BKB after blink+bm? n then linkens, other than relying on team mates spells, what would be the best item to break it?

submitted by /u/Im_Nublet27
[link] [comments]

When do you not go Bloodstone first on Timber?

Posted: 21 Feb 2017 06:26 PM PST

https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/3011993759

In this game, with so much lockdown and magic damage on their team i decided to get Linken's and hood before bloodstone because i didn't want to end up with 0 bloodstone charges...

Would like to have some feedback about my item and how it could be improved.

Thanks :D

submitted by /u/Blastocyst9
[link] [comments]

[Guide] Six Idiot-Proof Steps To Increasing Your MMR

Posted: 22 Feb 2017 09:25 AM PST

Hey guys, I'm back with a new guide. This time it's on increasing your MMR by optimizing a specific skill and then applying it to your games. I've gained about 250 MMR in a week utilizing these methods. Good luck, have fun!

The Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef6XF06I5K4

Let me know what you think, feedback is definitely appreciated. What should I talk about next? What else do you want to know?

The Steps:

  1. Pick A Skill: Make sure it's specific enough so that it can't be portrayed as vague

  2. Watch The Pros: Figure out how high-level players are executing it.

  3. Play Some Games: Test it out in unranked or party queue (if you have friends)

  4. Analyze Your Replays: Pick one or two a week that went horrible and figure out what you can do better.

  5. Keep A Record: Write your notes down so you don't forget. Seems obvious but a lot of people mess this up by not keeping a log.

  6. Outplay the Pros: Theorycraft new stuff, the only way to be the best is to improve on what others are doing.

submitted by /u/Enderwhovian
[link] [comments]

How to win a solo safelane vs solo offlane and vice versa?

Posted: 22 Feb 2017 01:00 AM PST

Do you have any tips and tricks regarding this? I usually just creep aggro-pull the creeps to me which works well enough but I think that I could do more.

submitted by /u/mojaaa
[link] [comments]

Elder Titan bug

Posted: 21 Feb 2017 05:06 PM PST

Just finished a game where I randomed ET and it would not let me use return astral spirit. It does not matter if I click it, hit W, select the spirit or myself. I went to demo hero and I get the same thing. It only returns when the time runs out. Has anyone ever run into this and how can I fix it?

submitted by /u/aemun
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.