Finally got to 4k playing 1 game a day as support only!

Posted: 20 Dec 2016 08:20 PM PST

Today I met my goal of getting to 4k by the end of the year. I started the year around 3k and made a goal of hitting 4k by playing supports (position 4 or 5) only. I calibrated at around 2.8k when ranked came out. Here's my DotaBuff.
Some notes for the curious:
  • This is my first MOBA-like game (it took me 3-4 tries to get into DOTA2 because there was just so much to learn). I started playing seriously in mid-2013, but didn't start playing ranked seriously until late 2015.
  • I watch a lot of streams/VODs. Purge, Merlini, and BSJ are probably my most watched, but I will put anyone on if they are chill and don't rage.
  • I play 1 game a day Monday through Thursday on US West only between 5pm and 8pm PST. I felt that this netted me the best teammates in the best mindset. I try not to play on weekends. If I have the urge to play outside of that window, I will queue unranked or 10v10.
  • After each game, I will download the replay and make note of what I could improve on for my next game. I also used the private notes feature in DotaBuff to keep a semi-diary of my games.
  • I was able to spam Omni to get up to 3.5k, but after that he felt like a crutch and I wasn't improving myself as a player so I stopped picking him even after he got popular in the pro scene
  • I typically write "I'll be supporting" and pick first so I just pick a support I'm comfortable with that can be of general use to the team. I rarely get to counter pick.
  • My map awareness and time management improved a lot since starting
  • When I first started playing, I blindly followed the builds that were available in game. It wasn't until I started my climb that I began to analyze what I really needed in the game and bought and skilled accordingly.
  • I never rage in chat to my team or at the other team. I will immediately mute and report anyone who rages or tries to tilt my team. I prided myself on this and thanks to only playing 1 ranked game a day, I basically never tilted. I have a 10k behavior score.
Things that I plan on improving on:
  • Last hitting (especially under tower)
  • Expanding my support hero pool
  • Further improving my map awareness and time management
  • Understanding power spikes and optimizing my rotations
  • Predicting where enemies will be and what builds they will go
I think 7.00 is a really fun patch, especially for supports (just like 6.88) since there is so much fighting and activity even early on in the game. Now with talents, you are able to scale in ways you weren't before so even the late game can be enjoyable for a position 5.
I will be taking a small break from DOTA now that I've met my goal to play some of the other games I've neglected in my backlog. See you guys on the road to 5k.
submitted by /u/keikun13
[link] [comments]

7.01 update

Posted: 20 Dec 2016 07:51 PM PST

Would you guys be interested in a stream of 5.2k player grinding to 6k explaining decisions/ideas/gameplay?

Posted: 20 Dec 2016 11:12 AM PST

Used to be a pretty popular streamer in HoN and I finally fixed my PC so I can stream again. Just wondering if you guys would watch it, I've casually streamed a few times with no viewers, wonder if there's an audience if I turn on cam and talk about the game instead of just blast music
edit: okay i'm trying, twitch.tv/inthe_6
submitted by /u/asgs_world
[link] [comments]

Can somebody explain extensively about target priority and map awareness?

Posted: 20 Dec 2016 10:43 PM PST

I really need some help here guys. Please pretty please.
submitted by /u/kings_glaive
[link] [comments]

Should I expect no mics and little communication in Dota?

Posted: 20 Dec 2016 05:56 PM PST

Just started playing. At most we have 2 mics usually. Is this pretty much the norm? I mean even as a new player, it seems incredibly obvious to me that the more coordinated team is going to win this game, even more so than a game of League.
submitted by /u/ProWresBlog2
[link] [comments]

Item build on phantom lancer?

Posted: 21 Dec 2016 02:34 AM PST

Early - Mid game i usually go like:
Power treads, Echo Sabre, Manta Style and if im too fed by then ill go skadi.
Is diffusal still good? Should I get Radiance? and If I should get bkb when is a good time to get it? Vlads?
submitted by /u/shishkebabs232
[link] [comments]

What's up with the bots?

Posted: 20 Dec 2016 08:17 AM PST

I like to play bot matches to warm up, practice, and try out new heroes before playing pubs. However, since 7.00, bot matches have become almost unplayable. The bots on my team will literally just stand near the bounty rune and not move for the entire game, won't attack the enemy heroes, won't defend towers or the ancient, and will simply feed by walking through the enemy team (without even attacking) and sending the courier directly to the enemy (not even to deliver items, just beeline for the their base). Before the update, bots were terrible, but now it's beyond ridiculous. Is anyone else experiencing this?
submitted by /u/ZanzabarOHenry
[link] [comments]

Skadi on OD?

Posted: 21 Dec 2016 01:28 AM PST

Hello all,
Now that skadi is no longer a unique auto attack modifier, and still offers wonderful stats, I was wondering if it would be any good on OD. Perhaps as a 2nd or 3rd item.
What would be a good OD build? I've recently fallen in love with him.
submitted by /u/KonaBlack94
[link] [comments]

Coming from LoL to Dota. Need Help.

Posted: 21 Dec 2016 01:28 AM PST

So after playing League for 3 years I'm making the switch because people in my Uni play Dota only. I am a support main on League and my main champions are Thresh and Bard. If anyone could suggest where to start, which heros to choose and everything it would be really helpful.
EDIT: I am currently around High Plat - Low Dia elo on league.
submitted by /u/Deaddevil77
[link] [comments]

Why did lately pro players build HotD on the carry as their first item?

Posted: 20 Dec 2016 07:01 PM PST

I'm a 2k scrubs, so I don't really understand its advantage
submitted by /u/Rainboys
[link] [comments]

Looking for heroes similar to smite gods

Posted: 20 Dec 2016 06:26 PM PST

I have usually been a first person shooter player, so I decided to start with smite since I heard it was easier than Dota or League. Now I'm trying to make the transition from Smite to Dota, but with all the heroes I don't know what to play. Are there any similar to Ullr with his stance switching and variety of abilities, Janus with his high mobility and utility, or Chronos with his awesome late game and weak early game? They are my favorite gods in smite, so I would like to know if I could still play something similar.
submitted by /u/Aquatic123
[link] [comments]

Is NightStalker just crap these days since new patch?

Posted: 21 Dec 2016 12:05 AM PST

I'm trying to complete the all hero challenge, and I have to get a win with NightStalker.
I've never liked this hero, he might have a silence but no stun. He's melee and late game his ranged attack doesn't do good damage.
He's an initiator so he gets targeted first.
He seems especially shit against Pudge.
He's fairly squirmish early game, and can't jungle for shit during the day.
Any people who love this hero care to give me the low down on how to play him and profit?
submitted by /u/IslandicFreedom
[link] [comments]

Is a 1.5k attempting to climb to 4k Stream/YouTube Worthy?

Posted: 20 Dec 2016 11:55 PM PST

My idea was I would do live commentary (during either streaming or gameplay uploads) of my thought processes during the match. The goal isn't to provide tips for newer players (since I'm not good), but allow people a place to critique gameplay, and over time, build up to be a place where I could help out newer players. Does anyone think this is a good idea? Or better question, would anyone want to watch 1.5k player play dota and try to get better?
submitted by /u/SheepDog52
[link] [comments]

For the 1K/2K Scrublords out there

Posted: 20 Dec 2016 11:51 PM PST

When i started playing DotA 2, i had no idea about how the game works even after i reached the requirement level for ranked, i quickly hopped on ranked and got calibrated into 1.2K MMR, after playing for a year and a half i know that i have improved A LOT, because i can actually keep up with the plays of my 3-4k friends, i even stomp on 4k sometimes. So i tried to go on ranked again, but escaping 1K MMR is HELL. My friends suggested that i should make a new account and recalibrate my MMR, and i did. After recalibrating on my new account i actually got 3.2k mmr, and i don't have any problems with "monkeys" anymore, i'm actually trying to grind to 4k atm. So for all the 1K/2K scrublords out there, i suggest that you guys recalibrate aswell, 1K/2K is fucking HELL.
submitted by /u/makiwafu
[link] [comments]

Good Exort Invoker Meta?

Posted: 20 Dec 2016 04:04 PM PST

Okay so I find QE Invoker to be the most suicidal builds of 7.00 because of the lack of strength except the orbing is easier tbh, get the +250 HP and +1 FS then level your orbs til 23 since you don't benefits from the level 20 talent branch much so idk, what are good exort builds to do on him?
submitted by /u/Phenothetype
[link] [comments]

Can anyone explain when to buy back?

Posted: 20 Dec 2016 10:15 PM PST

I've always saved my buy back for either defending highground or defending the ancient. But when I watch pro Dota, they seem to buy back more often. I commonly see cores/supports but back and try to TP in and helping the fight, and I also see supports buy back a lot when they get picked off, can anyone explain the thinking behind this?
submitted by /u/Imhereforgames
[link] [comments]

Should I take the gold/min talent basically every time if I'm playing a support?

Posted: 20 Dec 2016 06:26 PM PST

For the most part it's the best option for heroes who aren't going to be farming, right? Especially on Ogre and Undying who get it at level 10?
submitted by /u/-methane-
[link] [comments]

Who are some strong laning, early fighting carries?

Posted: 20 Dec 2016 09:31 PM PST

Looking to learn new heroes for this very different patch
submitted by /u/ZeZapasta
[link] [comments]

I can pick up items from my stash when near the other team's fountain?

Posted: 20 Dec 2016 08:08 AM PST

This happened today during a game, by accident. It was great - I got my late game items without needing to wait for someone else to stop using the courier, and then have the courier go across the map.
But what?! Feature or bug?
submitted by /u/lookseedooso
[link] [comments]

Is there an option to revert hero selection back to pre 7.00?

Posted: 20 Dec 2016 11:08 AM PST

When I'm playing Brewmaster, now when I select my ctrl hotkey for the split unit, it auto pans the camera to that unit's location.
For me, personally, this is absolutely dreadful and I cannot play micro heroes with this enabled. Is there an option to revert this, or a console command?
submitted by /u/GabberJenson
[link] [comments]

Why did seasonal events like Diretide and Frostivus die?

Posted: 20 Dec 2016 04:37 AM PST

So I was not here in 2013 for Frostivus and Diretide. It'll be cool to experience them but apparently it has been 3 years since the last one. Why?
submitted by /u/Hansworth
[link] [comments]

Is it me or is PL still bad even after his 'buffs'?

Posted: 20 Dec 2016 02:30 PM PST

Feels like he got worst, cuz he feeds more illusion gold with his agh's. His damage is still really terrible. Just trying to figure out... Where does PL fall? He's obviously not a carry anymore.
submitted by /u/breadmaker8
[link] [comments]

How do the talents for evasion, lifesteal and magic resist stack with items or abilities?

Posted: 20 Dec 2016 04:21 PM PST

I mean with abilities or items that give the same modifier. Is it diminishing or additional? I guess unless the item/ability says it's diminishing then it's additional?
submitted by /u/Doddles
[link] [comments]

With the recent illusion and diffusal changes, how good is PL?

Posted: 20 Dec 2016 04:18 PM PST

It would seem that he was not majorly buffed as some people were expecting in 7.00. He did get a buff to rush and a new aghs, but at the same time, the illusion and diffusal changes have hurt him a lot. Is he any good right now?
submitted by /u/grapeintensity
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.