Factorio Weekly Question Thread


Weekly Question Thread

Posted: 20 Aug 2018 11:05 AM PDT

Ask any questions you might have.

Post your bug reports on the Official Forums


Previous Threads


Subreddit rules

Discord server (and IRC)

Find more in the sidebar ---->

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

Barrel based oil refining aka I hate pipes more than I hate biters

Posted: 20 Aug 2018 09:05 AM PDT

Every morning I wake up thinking how convenient it would be if pipes didn't exist. If everything were barreled. Want to shower? Crack open a barrel of water. Want some tea? Crack open a tiny barrel. Want to refuel your car? Crack Gently open a barrel.

Extending this crack philosophy to Factorio, I designed this oil refining setup that tries to minimize pipes as much as possible. Barreled water and crude oil goes in, barreled heavy, light and petro come out. The barrels emptied at the input are sent to the left and you can belt them upwards to supply the empty barrels for your output.

Advantages:

  • Minimum pipes
  • Tileable (with a few adjustments at the terminal points)
  • Did I say minimum pipes?
  • Maximum Significant beacon coverage (there is room for more beacons if you want. Beacons incidentally also increase the barreling speed)
  • Can treat your oil like you treat your ores. No more throughput headaches. Make as many weird balancer and splitter combinations as you want.
  • MINIMUM EFFING PIPES

Disadvantages:

 

Picture: https://i.imgur.com/1bD3AOr.jpg

Picture: https://i.imgur.com/ispkXkC.jpg
(Some of the colors may look different which is due to a cosmetic mod. All equipment used is vanilla.)

 

Blueprint: https://pastebin.com/qa3PAqMh

 

EDIT -- As is expected, just after posting this, I found I can significantly improve on this design. I'll update this post with a better one soon.

 

EDIT 2-- Updated with better design. This one has the output coming back to the left so if you need to add more refineries to the right, you won't need to change the output receiving area every time.

submitted by /u/asifbaig
[link] [comments]

That's a lotta oil

Posted: 20 Aug 2018 11:15 AM PDT

Small scale integrated launch complex.

Posted: 20 Aug 2018 09:21 AM PDT

Just woke up from an absolute nightmare...

Posted: 20 Aug 2018 03:15 PM PDT

... belts needed power! O.O

submitted by /u/PPF99
[link] [comments]

10k SPM - UPS Optimized - Train Megabase

Posted: 19 Aug 2018 10:00 PM PDT

Yes, Good! I'm sure this new warning system won't be annoying at all!

Posted: 20 Aug 2018 03:28 PM PDT

can sombody please explain what those batteries are used for and why they dont have electricity

Posted: 20 Aug 2018 10:05 AM PDT

Found some spaghetti outside /r/factorio

Posted: 20 Aug 2018 08:19 PM PDT

TINY ISLANDS CHALLENGE

Posted: 20 Aug 2018 12:33 AM PDT

TINY ISLANDS CHALLENGE

Challenge map with very limited space and resources. Best played without landfill, tanks, flame/laser turrets. All tech (but military upgrades) unlocked from start - console command for recommended settings below.

Screen: https://imgur.com/H4V8AJe

https://i.redd.it/68lw4j27a7h11.png

Scenario folder download: https://github.com/Numbian/TINY-ISLAND-CHALLENGE

Recommended command on map start - just paste it all into console:

/c game.forces["enemy"].evolution_factor=0.5;

game.player.force.research_all_technologies();

game.map_settings.enemy_evolution.destroy_factor = 0.005;

game.map_settings.enemy_evolution.pollution_factor = 0.0001;

game.map_settings.enemy_evolution.time_factor = 0;

game.player.force.technologies['landfill'].researched=false;

game.player.force.technologies['tanks'].researched=false;

game.player.force.technologies['laser-turrets'].researched=false;

game.player.force.technologies['flamethrower'].researched=false;

game.player.force.technologies['artillery'].researched=false;

game.player.force.technologies['bullet-damage-1'].researched=false;

game.player.force.technologies['bullet-damage-2'].researched=false;

game.player.force.technologies['bullet-damage-3'].researched=false;

game.player.force.technologies['bullet-damage-4'].researched=false;

game.player.force.technologies['bullet-damage-5'].researched=false;

game.player.force.technologies['bullet-damage-6'].researched=false;

game.player.force.technologies['bullet-speed-1'].researched=false;

game.player.force.technologies['bullet-speed-1'].researched=false;

game.player.force.technologies['gun-turret-damage-1'].researched=false;

game.player.force.technologies['rocket-speed-1'].researched=false;

game.player.force.technologies['shotgun-shell-damage-1'].researched=false;

game.player.force.technologies['shotgun-shell-speed-1'].researched=false;

game.player.force.technologies['rocket-damage-1'].researched=false;

game.player.force.technologies['grenade-damage-1'].researched=false;

game.player.force.technologies['rocketry'].researched=false;

game.player.force.technologies['landfill'].enabled=false;

game.player.force.recipes["poison-capsule"].enabled=false;

game.player.force.technologies['tanks'].enabled=false;

game.player.force.technologies['laser-turrets'].enabled=false;

game.player.force.technologies['flamethrower'].enabled=false;

game.player.force.technologies['artillery'].enabled=false;

game.player.force.technologies['rocketry'].enabled=false;

submitted by /u/numbian
[link] [comments]

replacing old bullets on a giant wall with new ones

Posted: 20 Aug 2018 08:50 AM PDT

I see your oil post, and raise you MY oil patch!

Posted: 20 Aug 2018 07:40 PM PDT

I want factorio buddies!

Posted: 20 Aug 2018 09:55 AM PDT

It's probably me but I have no idea how i can look for people who want to play with me. Starting a new multiplayer game and hoping for people to join is way too slow and frustrating. So can I ask for people who want to play together here :3?

Im from the Netherlands (+1GMT). I like default settings, I like to play games the way developers intended it to and I like to play without a blueprint book starting the game out with. Achievements are on my most wanted list as well so something like a 100% game in the nearby future is something I'd like to do.

I have played for ~400 hours but I have never launched a rocket x). Let's do something about that

You can add me on steam as HNNGgg (sheep icon dude)

submitted by /u/HNNGgg86
[link] [comments]

Why aren't these steam turbines working?

Posted: 20 Aug 2018 05:27 AM PDT

Non-overkill artillery outpost

Posted: 20 Aug 2018 06:54 PM PDT

A wishlist for terrain settings in 0.17

Posted: 20 Aug 2018 12:22 PM PDT

I've been trying to find a seed for a new map and toying with all the terrain, resource and enemy settings there's a few things I think would greatly improve the veteran factorio experience.

As things are right now, outisde of known bugs, the new player gets a good match with no or very little tinkering with the settings. But once you've played this game for a thousand plus hours, I feel like there's some things you'd like to try out and the current state of terrain settings limits you in some ways.

So here's a few things I'd like to see in the next factorio version to further squeeze those 20 bucks I spent so long ago:

  • A button to get the settings from an existing save: Several times I've started a game, played 2-20 hours on it and *then realized there's something wrong with the settings. Most of them are fine but there's just a couple of things I want to change. Right now you can do this by going to the load screen, getting the map exchange string and pasting it on the new game screen. It's not too much of a bother, but It'd be nice to just have the list of saves available on the new game screen to yank the map settings in one click.

  • Setting a resource to very rare/small/poor guarantees a low maximum frequency/size/richness. I wanted to try a game where coal, uranium and stone are actually rare and scarce, so I set up my resource settings like this, and here's a few maps It generates:

    • Map 1160058471:
    • Iron and copper patches around spawn are as big as expected with these settings
    • No stone or coal around spawn, a minimum amount should be guaranteed.
    • Two huge stone patches to the west and south of spawn. With these stone settings (min freq, min size) such huge patches should not be allowed.
    • Map 2955008204:
    • Ridiculously small amounts of coal and stone around spawn.
    • Too little amount of copper around spawn
    • Ridiculously large patch of oil to the east of spawn
    • Too large and too frequent patches of uranium

These are the first couple of maps I got using railworld presets and only changing the resource settings as shown.

  • Setting water to very low frequency and very large size generates huge empty oceans instead of large-ish island-filled lakes. Having large water should put an additional challenge of having fewer directions in which to expand simply because there is no land on sight and you have to either wing it and make huge bridges into the unknown or go for another direction where there's still land. Of course this could lead to impossible scenarios where there just isn't enough stone in your map to build bridges far enough or you pick a wrong direction and run out of stone. This is why the combination of very rare and very large should be treated as special and it should yield only one huge body of water, completely empty and very large, and have the rest of the map render as usual with very little or no water around the coast.

  • A minimum distance between enemy bases. I've tried a deathworld + railworld combo with 5x science and complex recipes and let me tell you: it's a lot of fun for a veteran. But at some point there's just too many spawner bases too often and it just becomes a chore to explore because killing them takes a lot of time. It's not hard. It just takes a lot of time because there's so many of them. I'd like a setting where when enemies are looking to build a new spawner base they check if there's any other base in a radius X, and if there is they just don't build it. This could keep the amount of enemies pretty high but you could allow for careful exploration without aggroing so many enemies. It's specially painful because there already is a setting for maximum distance between spawners which is useful to slow enemy expansion down.

That's all I can think of right now, will post more in comments if I think of any.

submitted by /u/Cabanur
[link] [comments]

Finally get rid of Sodium Hydroxyde

Posted: 20 Aug 2018 09:21 AM PDT

Finally get rid of Sodium Hydroxyde

I must not be the only (sorry if it is a repost) but i found how to get rid of Sodium Hydroxyde. Recently, I started a map with Angel's mod but i didnt see a purpose to the sodium hydroxyde in the early game (i'm at Blue Science now). So to get rid of Sodium Hydroxyde, i made a Free Ressources way to dump this item and that produce extra chlorine.

50 Extra Chlorine each cycle

I will share you a blueprint soon, i have to work with machines ratios to improve the throughput.

submitted by /u/mobolo723
[link] [comments]

Am I fighting Biters wrong?

Posted: 20 Aug 2018 05:55 AM PDT

I'm on my first world, and have around 45 hours in it. Just built the rocket silo so I'm getting somewhat close to a win hopefully. I'm playing vanilla on stock settings.

With my tank, it's easy to wipe out biter bases, but it seems like there are so many biter bases that need my attention at all times. I have to drive around for 30+ minutes killing enemies all across the map, then I get back to my base, work on my factory for a bit, and then go back and repeat the same thing so that they don't expand too close. The slow tank speed adds to the tedium of this.

Is the game trying to push me into a particular playstyle that I'm not understanding? My power is entirely from solar, and I really only have speed modules on my advanced circuit machines, so I don't think I can do too much more to reduce polution.

Am I supposed to set up defenses in a way that allows for constant waves of enemies with no maintenance? With my current setup, it gives me enough time to drive my tank over, kill the biters, repair the walls and turrets that were damaged, and refill the turret ammo. I haven't built any laser turrets yet because it didn't sound like they would help with my situation much (and there's an achievement for not making them heh). I currently have a double thick wall around all my base areas, and frequent turrets with 25 piercing bullet magazines behind all of the walls.

I was reading this thread, and I'm thinking that disabling expansion might be a good option for my next world.

Any thoughts? Here are some pictures of my map for some context: https://imgur.com/a/cx8vScU

submitted by /u/agsking
[link] [comments]

Reverse lazy bastard

Posted: 20 Aug 2018 10:04 AM PDT

Is it possible to launch a rocket while placing as few buildings as possible? Like only the things that need fluid and a lab?

submitted by /u/cyberkraken2
[link] [comments]

[TIPS] How do you go about planning a mall?

Posted: 20 Aug 2018 08:41 AM PDT

Looking to make a mall from scratch, and was wondering for tips for planning and laying out a mall, especially when you want to plan for belt transporting goods and not use logistic bots.

submitted by /u/defiler86
[link] [comments]

Wait specifications for a uranium mining train?

Posted: 20 Aug 2018 10:27 AM PDT

I'm new to factorio and had to trouble setting up my oil train because it fills up at my outpost and empties at my base. The trouble I'm running into is when I built my uranium mining train because I now need the fluid wagons to be full at my base and the cargo wagons empty and vice versa at my outpost. I'm not sure how to change my stop settings so that the train will move when it's done at each stop. Thanks for ur help

submitted by /u/thenoblenacho
[link] [comments]

Is shift right click bound?

Posted: 20 Aug 2018 07:10 PM PDT

If not, I want base or a mod to schedule deconstruction with this hotkey!

submitted by /u/unhott
[link] [comments]

how to make a screenshot from my entire base?

Posted: 20 Aug 2018 08:45 AM PDT

i know that it is possible to share a worl in a google maps style view.
and i have quiet a big megabase to share.

submitted by /u/Osmirl
[link] [comments]

My chemical plant build option has gone missing. Possibly mod related

Posted: 20 Aug 2018 02:19 PM PDT

I went to repair/upgrade my chemical processing facility and when I went to build a new chemical plant the option was not there. I loaded up a much earlier save and found it working in that file.

I installed and loaded up some mods and loaded the base I am currently on just to have a look. I think I saved and then backed out and uninstalled the mods.

My guess is that the chemical plant got moved in one of the mods and did not get moved back when I uninstalled.

Is there any way to get the chemical plant back?

submitted by /u/beckettman
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.