True Gaming /r/TrueGaming is now accepting Moderator Applications! (Application will close on June 30th) |
- /r/TrueGaming is now accepting Moderator Applications! (Application will close on June 30th)
- Mechanical future of RTS subgenres
- A Subjective Take on Video Game Difficulties
- We need to have our own discussion (as gamers) about addiction so things like the World Health Organizations "gaming disorder" classification don't happen again.
- I don't fullt believe the "The Last of Us Part 2" e3 gameplay
- Fortnite is anti-competitive, though I wish it wasn't
- Why does Mario get a free pass on mind control and still being a hero?
| /r/TrueGaming is now accepting Moderator Applications! (Application will close on June 30th) Posted: 17 Jun 2018 05:01 PM PDT Hey everybody! Last week, I gave a little state of the subreddit. I'm happy to say now, that moderator applications are live! Without further ado, here's the link to it: https://goo.gl/forms/XE5MkixGUbNtqLFs1 Ask away if you have questions about the job, if something isn't clear, etc... [link] [comments] |
| Mechanical future of RTS subgenres Posted: 18 Jun 2018 09:45 AM PDT Current state of the genre is rather well-discussed, so I would really like to talk about the future, particularily the mechanics in imaginary future RTS games. I will start in the following format: new or altered mechanic that seems to be a logical development - my vision of how this alteration improves on already established formula or solves existing problems. These are some of my thoughts that are mainly focused on casualisation and "armchair general" style\passion, because it seems to me that this is desirable for an RTS game to succeed on the current market. You are welcome to cover other subgenres\flavors. 1). Incorporation of the "order" concept into the game state. Direct, real-time control of units is usually assumed when we talk about an RTS. This may be changed to issuing delayed, propagated orders (killable horseman, jammable radio network etc...). Such system is resilient to APM-creep and shifts the focus towards preliminary planning\strategy, wich may be desirable for some developers that want to avoid traditional competitive RTS style of multiplayer. However, this mechanics requires drastically improved unit autonomy and intelligence (self preservation, group AI, target selection) in order to maintain the visual fidelity\interest of the combat. If someone knows games that do this, please tell me. 2). AI delegation. Officers. Some city-building games take the path of incorporating ingame assistants to perform routine tasks. Some games make those assistant parts of the game state. For example, Dwarf Fortress allows to assign a manager dwarf that will be responsible for controlling production of specified goods via the same job order system the player originally used. This mechanic is well-suited for tedium\repetitiveness reduction. Imperative "to do how" command style changes to declarative "to do what", wich is essential for games that want to scale gracefully with the number of ingame entities. Officer concept can be taken to the extreme in order to create a "general" game, that forbids any direct control of units, and relies on the chain of AI command instead. Assigning an officer\hero to manage your expansion\flank army is also an interesting idea. General reduction of required player input commands per minute goes in line with some general complaints about RTS games that point out the waste of artist resources on units\environment the player never has time to admire. 3). Focus on cooperative control of shared forces. Assuming that typical casual RTS will invest in it's campaign\single player mode, it seems like an obvious development of the formula to provide cooperative multipllayer for the above-mentioned content, preferably with a difficulty choice to account for increased player side potency and to fuel replayability. Cooperation is inherently more casual, and may allow for better experience for some players. You may have "that logistics guy" among your friends that will happily keep your base and economy in order, and "that protoss dude" that will feel great at the front line microing your units. People enjoy RTS games for different things and may benefit from a system that allows them to focus on what they particularilly like. Also, didn't the first Starcraft have this feature? 4). Logistics-heavy subgenre. Factorio is a stunning success, but it is lacking in the combat\challenge department. There is a consistent interest in mods that try to add RTS elements to it, wich means that I am not alone in my desire for logistics-towerdefence-RTS hybrid, and there is clearly a market for it. It seems like a lot of casual players enjoy turtling in general, developing on this love should be a good selling strategy. Turtling usually consists of resource management, defence building\upgrading, space allocation and damage control (static defence repair or mobile units reactive reallocation). Making the "resource management" and "space allocation" parts more rich seems like a good idea and I would certanly like an RTS game that would take some things away from Factorio in that department. What do you think will happen in the next decade? [link] [comments] |
| A Subjective Take on Video Game Difficulties Posted: 18 Jun 2018 02:13 AM PDT LINK: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dPIE0zBbbQiNs9tgVEJwPdQC7rlyIRnhbRlfIXJESsg/edit# I worked on a document entitled 'A Subjective Take on Video Game Difficulties' in which I describe my appreciation for the art of gaming. I explained how difficulties in some video games are not quite balanced and I contrasted the whole thing with how FromSoftware implements difficulties in their games. Finally, I talked about the preservation of art in video game and how some companies are tainting that art for profits. I just want to say that everything I've written in that thing comes from my perception. By no means, I am trying to impose this on people. Please, give this thing a read and let's exchange in the comments. [link] [comments] |
| Posted: 18 Jun 2018 04:18 PM PDT I've seen a lot of people laugh and freak out about the WHO classifying "gaming disorder" in the ICD-11. Responses have ranged from "I don't need to take pills to get rid of my interest in gaming" to "lol, I have a gaming addiction and I'm proud!" But if we want to properly address the missteps made in the classification of "gaming disorder" we're going to have to have an actual conversation about gaming addictions. I've wrote an article about my feelings on the matter (if you're looking to engage with the subject in depth, I think it's a good place to start) but here's the TL;DR segments:
[link] [comments] |
| I don't fullt believe the "The Last of Us Part 2" e3 gameplay Posted: 17 Jun 2018 09:01 PM PDT I'll be short, while I don't think they won't deliver on the graphics or the animations, I still don't believe AI will be that smart and that you as a player will find yourself in similar situations. It definitely feels played in such a way that creates an interesting narrative in itself, with heavily scripted AI. Why do I have this impression? Because the TLoU E3 2012 Gameplay did the same, AI felt really smart, the world was really interactive: e.g. Joel smashes an enemy head against a table and that table moves sideways, Ellie dialogue is much more on point with what's going on, and the last enemy alive looks terrified and shouts "PLEASE DON'T DO THIS" when you disarm him and point his shotgun to his head. Hey, tlou was still a great 10/10 game, and I trust that tlou2 will be aswell, it's just that my bs radar went off [link] [comments] |
| Fortnite is anti-competitive, though I wish it wasn't Posted: 18 Jun 2018 11:31 AM PDT https://www.cagardner.com/blog/2018/6/17/fortnite-is-anti-competitive One of my main concerns as Fortnite becomes even more massively popular and now will be funding $100,000,000 worth of tournaments, is that much of the game is specifically designed to be random. In my opinion, designed-in randomness reduces expressions of player skill by reducing the amount of agency the player has over the outcome. Some of my main concerns are the random weapon spread, the random circles (which is common to nearly all Battle Royales, to be fair), and the randomness of the loot. Maybe it's just my own thing, but I can't get into games where the back-and-forth is not 100% player decision driven. I can't watch professional poker, for example, or at least I can't watch after a really bad beat when tons of money is on the line. Thoughts? [link] [comments] |
| Why does Mario get a free pass on mind control and still being a hero? Posted: 18 Jun 2018 01:41 PM PDT So SMO has Bowser kidnapping Peach and he's supposed to be the villain because he's doing it against her will. And Mario does the same thing via mind control (even if not to any one person, he does it on a large scope over the course of the game) and he's supposed to be the good guy? I mean, 90% of mind controllers I've seen are portrayed as bad guys. And this Mario guy gets a free pass because... it's fun to use enemy abilities? [link] [comments] |
| You are subscribed to email updates from For those who like talking about games as much as playing them.. To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now. | Email delivery powered by Google |
| Google, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, United States | |
Post a Comment