Factorio The Intel 4004 processor looks somewhat like a factorio map.


The Intel 4004 processor looks somewhat like a factorio map.

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 02:29 AM PDT

Launched my first rocket, and then made it into my first >100 SPM base!

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 06:53 PM PDT

Making Custom Balancers is Fun!

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 09:51 AM PDT

Compact Oil Cracking

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 06:26 AM PDT

4:24 speedrun from Korea ����

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 04:11 AM PDT

Uninstalled Factorio, now i feel like..

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 04:45 AM PDT

I uninstalled factorio because i was addicted and losing too much time in it. Deleted a few 200 hours saves.

I didn't cry.

Now when I come here I feel like a fake alcoholic man assisting to an anonymous alcoholic meeting.

submitted by /u/Jeapin_Lannot
[link] [comments]

I just realized something..

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 06:42 AM PDT

Factorio is not a game, it is an unpaid engineering / programming internship...

submitted by /u/NappingYG
[link] [comments]

My Angelbob's Mall with automated train-restocking

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 01:18 PM PDT

Sushi, with a side of Spaghetti and a main bus served on a rectangular concrete plate.

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 10:08 AM PDT

Here is the imgur album.

To see the base in its full animated glory here is the save file.

To celebrate the belt improvements since I have last played I decided to go for a belt based base and to introduce a new challenge I decided to try and avoid items stationary on any of my belts and to add an additional challenge I limited myself to an area that was 3 sectors tall and 11 wide as my rough calculations said this would be just about enough.

The base uses a number of different techniques to achieve this, including * sushi belts * throttled belts with negative feedback. * item counting circuits

submitted by /u/Stevetrov
[link] [comments]

New to the game

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 12:56 PM PDT

Hey, Im new to Factorio and I really like it, but its pretty hard to learn it by myself, so I wanted to know if there are any good guides out there. Ive searched in YouTube but every video is like 2 years old, so I guess it wont be useful.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

submitted by /u/FuckYasuoMains
[link] [comments]

Despite desyncs, Factory Floor makes a great idle game!

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 06:42 PM PDT

Factorio Seablock 0.16 (first moded game attempt), 30 hours in

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 10:59 AM PDT

Do I need to find more areas for mining?

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 05:04 PM PDT

This cheat sheet says that it takes 51 miners to fill out a red belt. That means after I have placed 51 miners on a belt of iron, I must stop adding more miners to the belt? The cheat sheet also says that it takes about 47 smelters to consume a whole red belt of iron. This means that If I have 51 miners feeding into a smelter array of 47, then I have saturated my input belt and CANNOT add any more smelters to make more iron, correct?

Does this also mean that now I need to find a new iron ore patch for my next batch of smelters? Is this how you guys usually expand, by seeing that your belts are saturated and knowing that you need iron ore from more miners?

submitted by /u/lirazmir
[link] [comments]

Now that we have priority splitters, why balance belts?

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 01:17 PM PDT

I've been playing around with priority splitters, and it seems to me that any time I have N parallel belts, I want to put N-1 splitters onto it with output-right priority, so that the rightmost belts are always the fullest. Unless there's some significant latency in splitters that I'm not accounting for, this means that the rightmost belts are always maximizing throughput. The only thing that I need the left belts for is replenishing the right belts after I've pulled off product.

Am I nuts? What's the use case for balancing belts?

submitted by /u/uhhhclem
[link] [comments]

How do I get my friends addicted...

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 04:48 PM PDT

So I've been wanting to play this with my friends. How do I get them hooked ( or should I buy them a copy?)

submitted by /u/Tiger8158
[link] [comments]

Any tips for improving my main assembly area?

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 08:30 PM PDT

Any Good Recent YT Playthrough's (Not too heavily modded)?

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 02:12 PM PDT

So I tried to retrofit belt balancing on my main bus...

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 01:17 AM PDT

Trying to understand calculations for crafting?

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 08:04 PM PDT

I've recently (the past week) been trying out seablock and so far I really enjoy it but I seem to struggle a lot with all the calculations for crafting anything. I was wondering if there is a way to properly figure out ratios.

For example. A filtration unit using slurry coal filtering, has a crafting speed of 4 seconds but the unit has a crafting speed of 1.5 and its actual craft time should be 2.5 seconds but calculating it myself with a calculator I end up with 2.66667? Where am I going wrong with this?

Then if I add in the liquifier MK2 to make slag slurry, that takes 3 seconds with a craft speed of 2.25 by calculating that (3 seconds/2.25) I end up with 1.3r crafting time. That being half the time of the filtration unit means I can have 1 liquifier to 2 filtration units I think?

That hardest part though for me is production and consumption. Again using the slag slurry as an example with MK2 liquifier.

With the previous calculation, the actual craft speed is 1.3r seconds and consumes 5 slag in that time. I think the calculation is 5/1.3333333 which should give me 3.750000000000938 (from the calculator) or I'm doing this all wrong and I should be going by the belt items (13.33) making the calculation 13.33/5 which gives 2.66. I think this means that I can have 2 full supported liquifiers per belt but the third one will be starved if I add it?

The consumption of the materials I don't even know what to calculate for things that don't output a full belt. The mineral sludge I've been going over for the past few days and only just got to this part but a lot of other things just confuse the hell out of me.

Help would be greatly appreciated

submitted by /u/Red_Gardevoir
[link] [comments]

Logistics Train Network Setup - OmniStations

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 04:18 PM PDT

This post is in response to a conversation thread I had here: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/8u8upk/is_there_a_mod_for/e1g0j2q. I figured it would be nice to bring it out to the wider r/factorio subreddit.

In my current base I rely trains and Logistics Train Network using a blueprint I dubbed the OmniStation to easily expand. Most of the pictures have captions that explain each thing, so I will clean up my text from my other post.

Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/kaTSyhT

Each OmniStation acts as an arbitrary load and unload point for the train network. That is to say, you can load anything into it, and requests anything from it, and the mod with some circuitry will figure everything else out for you. One of the nicest things about this setup, is that all of the items can be mixed. That was likely the hardest part about getting my blueprint correct.

It has been some time since I designed it, but I recall a few of the major issues:

  1. Inserters would still be holding a random item when a train arrived, that item would get put into the train cart even if it was not requested. This caused an issue with things never being able to be loaded (because the cart would be full), and it also was an issue because the way the circuitry existed it would backflow through my connections and start up the filters on the other side, causing the train to load items and then immediately unload them.
  • The former was solved by limiting the train to not use one cargo slot (one of the constant signals by default on in the constant combinator).
  • The latter was solved by adding a logical diode so that you could not backflow the signal when a rogue item appeared in the train.
  1. Trains would stack up on a popular loading station. This was easily solved by using the limit to station and ensuring that I had a buffer area n size in front of the station for trains to stack into.
  2. I seem to vaguely recall something about getting the circuits just right in terms of every little thing. I had to re-read the documentation for LTN quite a few times to understand just what it was outputting and expecting. For instance, LTN will output what it expects to have once a load is complete. That means that if an item exists in the cargo of the train as it pulls into a station, that item (and associated count) will show up in what I was using as the 'expected to load' signal. This means I had to negate the loaded contents of the train against this, such that I would never get that signal. This caused the aforementioned train unloading while it was loading issue.

As a side architectural note, this was designed by using concepts from microservices. Particularly, focusing on having smarts at the ends with big dump pipes (the trains) in between. Certain stations 'subscribe' to items, and those are delivered on a fairly random load balancer (LTN) when they are available. This allows for maximum scalability. If I need another green circuit plant, I just plop it down and hook it up to the communication interface (OmniStation).

submitted by /u/tomclancies
[link] [comments]

Factorio Death Spirals and bouncing production

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 08:21 AM PDT

Am I doing something wrong here? My factory has currently produced 666 rockets (i've stopped them for now as I have nearly 200k science packs hiding somewhere) and am struggling to build large new sections as I feel like I'm constantly firefighting issues. I don't fully understand how to prevent these in the first place. Regarding death spirals I've so far survived: Steam power/brown-out death spiral: Not enough coal leads to not enough power generated leading to ever less coal being produced

My Solution: Add coal and power production to its own network. Once demand> supply I disconnect it from the main network, allow my buffers (chests, belt, steam tanks and accumulators )to fill and reconnect. once reconnected I improve production/consumption

Steam power/Brown-out death spiral - Solid fuel: Same as above but with solid fuel My Solution: Same as above but with the entire refinery complex

Oil Processing overflow/undersupply: Too much of one substance prevents you from producing the other fuels

My Solution: currently only crack if supply in a tank is greater than X and will only pump out if the new fuel is less than Y amount

Sustained attack power spiral: use of laser turrets causes power demand to outstrip supply starting a deathspiral that continues to worsen despite lasers stopping

Solution: Accumulators should always be used to cope with these spikes

Solution is currently only crack if supply in a tank is greater than X and will only pump out if the new fuel is less than Y amount

Concrete construction: A huge surge in bots increases the time it takes bots to charge rapidly boosting the number of logistic bots flying around. This increases until all logistic bots are in use.

Solution: Add more roboports/don't concrete your entire factory at the same time

Train resupply bot drain: same as above but caused by a construction train refilling from the mall

Solution: Add more roboports

Train oversupply choking: trains cannot unload as the capacity for resource A is full. Res A isn't being used as I have run out of resource B and cannot deliver it as it's stuck in a queue.

Real Solution: Don't have lots of input stations next to each other

My Solution: Parrell tracks (stacker?)to allow trains to queue for each station without blocking others

Train "Phantom" traffic jam: a train slows down leading to trains behind it slowing down by a greater amount until one eventually stops.

Solution: Ensure signal gaps are consistent on a line. Ensure traffic turning right has a separate queuing area to allow straight traffic to pass without slowing (if LHD)

The Solar Drop: Batteries don't charge enough causing power supply to drop to zero at some point in the night

I have no idea how to prevent this in the first place. Once it happens, I rapidly build more solar.

Active Supplier Spammer: If this doesn't cause a bot spiral (and even if it does) it eventually fills every storage chest preventing you from building new stuff and using trash slots

Solution: NEVER use them

Bouncing Production: Undersupply of one ingredient leads to a build-up of others. Eventually, this builds up and back leading to other consumers to stop consuming, production to ramp up until a different ingredient causes an issue.

My solution to this has always been buffering, but I'm not convinced that it helps me now and just seems to disguise any undersupply I really have.

My issue with the above isn't so much an issue with the game but how I'm playing it. Do my solutions work? Is their better solutions you've found? Is it possible to prevent these happening completely or can I only firefight them once they happen?

I'll try and edit this post with feedback and better solutions so it can serve as a resource to other players as all I can find on google is the power death spiral.

submitted by /u/Gingrpenguin
[link] [comments]

How to scale a mega base fps performance?

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 02:21 PM PDT

I am having more and more problems running a 200hour 5 player base on a vServer. https://imgur.com/a/KCp7r4Q

Its plain vanilla.

We have about 100k robots in the system.

The server is maxed out on cpu and takes about 1,5gb Ram.

The question would be what is the thing with the most impact on CPU? And is there a way of using more cores on the server since I thing its a speed.

Edit: I moved the server from a 2Ghz system to a 3,5Ghz system. Now I am getting 5.4/59.4 FPS/UPS and only 70% cpu on one core. I guess thats a little better... but unplayable since the fps is now down :D The new system only has HDDs, but the map is only 80 mb so it should be in memory or?

Any tips on how to improve my problem?

If I run the map local I get around 44/44.

submitted by /u/denfix
[link] [comments]

Steam Controller Configuration Recommendations?

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 04:50 AM PDT

I can't explain why but I want to try out Factorio with the Steam controller.

I know Steam things like upvote count on community configurations but I'm never sure what to pick. There seems to be an official configuration but it doesn't list votes on that one so I don't know if the community ones are better or not / what the reasoning behind the config is / etc.

submitted by /u/SevereCircle
[link] [comments]

Need some advice

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 05:16 PM PDT

I am trying to merge this iron ore unloading station onto the iron ore bus, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it without a ton of splitters. Could one of you more experienced folks point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

submitted by /u/Aluveaux
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.