True Gaming after hearing about Darkest Dungeon a lot, and after being mesmerized with it's Art style, I decided to give it a go. It was one of the most empty and exhausting gaming experiences I've ever Had.


after hearing about Darkest Dungeon a lot, and after being mesmerized with it's Art style, I decided to give it a go. It was one of the most empty and exhausting gaming experiences I've ever Had.

Posted: 07 Dec 2017 11:21 AM PST

I've been an RPG Fan all my life. Action, Strategy, JRPG, you name it, I played it. I love all RPG sub-Genres.

After hearing about the game and hearing some of the praise, I decided to give it a go.

I hated my time playing the game. It wasn't fun what-so-ever. The game told me beforehand that it was about "making the best out of a bad situation", but I think they went about it wrong. I love turn based RPGs, and I believe they gave us a lot of Historical gaming monuments like Final Fantasy and Pokemon. That's why I didn't mind the combat itself, it was fine, nothing special. What really ticked me off though, is the aspect of stress, Player stress. Going through Dungeons, Getting afflicted, Battling you way through and winning, that should be fun isn't it? "You made the best out of a bad situation"!

But the truth is, Winning wasn't fun for me. All I ever thought about while playing is the chore I had to do next. Winning wasn't fun because your teammates would need therapy, AND they needed their negative quirks removed. All of this took money. Which in turn means that your next dungeon run will be low on supplies and more stressful.

Losing wasn't fun, Because you lose your characters, but that's a given. Who likes losing?

But the worst offender is, I hated starting dungeons. It meant that I have to worry about all the chores after I get out of the Dungeon, plus worrying about the dungeon itself. Why play when winning and losing are both Punished? Why do I want to make the most out of a bad situation? My payoff is having to do more work. Having stress build up by enemy attacks, then getting afflicted which caused more stress, etc. It caused for a loop that made the game feel like a chore where you always feel like you're not benefiting out of anything.

The game made me as a person not want to play it due to wins being actual losses of my own personal time and enjoyment. I don't feel that special triumphant enjoyment in a Turn-based RPG after winning a tough boss battle. All I feel is that I want the fight to end as quickly as possible so I don't have to do more work after. It forces you to hate playing it since playing it meant more work later on.

EDIT: I forgot to add something that I think made everything extremely less fun. The whole Randomness of it all. It's RNG Galore. You can get a party member afflicted within a very short time from the start of the dungeon while the rest are fine. You can finish an entire dungeon without getting a single member afflicted. It was all up to the game to decided who to inflict to the most stress damage. It felt like a roll of the dice decided if I'd be doing more work at the end of the dungeon, or even made me escape from a dungeon all together after Piling all stress on a single character.

What are your thoughts?

(English isn't my Native tongue, so forgive any gramatical or spelling errors.)

submitted by /u/sweetmeister9000
[link] [comments]

Which game had the best Captured By The Enemy/Prison Escape section? Why was it so good?

Posted: 06 Dec 2017 10:21 PM PST

It's been a trope in games since forever, I even remember Chrono Trigger had it. What are some of the best instances of being captured by the bad guys and having to make a daring escape?

submitted by /u/irelann
[link] [comments]

Irrational fears and gaming

Posted: 07 Dec 2017 07:26 AM PST

Does anyone have any irrational fears that can affect your gaming experience?

Me: I'm extremely arachnophobic. A video, photo, or even a good drawing of a spider has many of the same effects on me as seeing one in real life does. So encountering one in a video game, where I have to interact with it and it's a "danger"... Forget about that. I'll cringe, recoil from the screen, quit the game and have an internal freakout. I'll then feel tingling sensations on my body for a while and be looking around all the over the room checking for spiders. It sucks. I was one of the people who played Skyrim with the mod that turns them into bears, and I simply wouldn't have been able to play the game otherwise. More recently this problem has prevented me from playing the new Prey. I tried, but the mimic enemies are just too spider-like. I couldn't face it.

On the internet I've seen a few people mention that they have a fear of swimming, and that it also translates into being scared of swimming in games. I imagine this being a much bigger issue than my spider problem, because water you can swim in is much more common in games than spiders.

submitted by /u/Cynic_Mimic
[link] [comments]

What am I missing with Journey?

Posted: 06 Dec 2017 11:24 PM PST

So, I finally got around to playing Journey and I beat it in one sitting and I just don't get it.

I should start out by saying it's an incredibly beautiful game. The visuals and sounds are some of the best I've ever seen.

But other than that, what is there? I found a person, who I assume was a real player after the "companions met along the way" note at the end. That's neat.

I found the controls very bland, the whole thing was pretty repetitive. I fell asleep climbing the beginning of the snow. The enemies didn't give me a sense of failure if I got caught or a reason to try a different path.

The narrative was there. My problem with the narrative was that there really wasnt a feeling of need to climb the mountain. What was the motivation? I guess Red just decided to climb the mountain one day?

What am I missing with this game? Why was it praised so highly?

Like, I'd give this a game a 5/10 just based on visuals and audio alone. Everything else just seemed very bland to me.

(I promise I'm not just trying to shit on this game, I just genuinely don't understand)

submitted by /u/OneNamedLucas
[link] [comments]

What game has the best example of a tutorial level? What has the worst?

Posted: 07 Dec 2017 11:20 AM PST

And why?

Megaman X was the best example of a great tutorial level, because it conveys a lot of mechanics without ever stopping the flow of the game for textual "hints" or locking buttons until the correct situation comes up. It was also quite forgiving because it was short enough not to matter much if you failed. Jak & Daxter was also pretty good because it left you pretty much open to explore the mechanics by yourself.

My personal worst tutorial was Nier : Automata, simply because it was way too long. It took 45 minutes the first time (if you wanted to explore), but it peaked the difficulty at the end of the tutorial too much. Dying put you back at the start of it, zero checkpoints, all the while reminding you that you can not save. Putting a save point at the boss would have been perfectly acceptable. It took me two hours to get out of the tutorial, which didn't even teach me how to save... Worst part is, there was nothing mechanically wrong with the tutorial and with a checkpoint in the middle it would have been one of my top tutorials.

EVE Online was also really bad because it teaches you less than 1% of the game mechanics before dropping you into the game world, with no clue what to do or where to go.

Also a mention to games that lock buttons until you get a hint on using said buttons, or even worse when the game locks your entire control scheme until you press the button it wants you to. I stopped playing metal gear V because of this. "You can target locations with your binoculars" = you can't move, enter the menu, do anything else until you take out your binoculars and look at the thing.

submitted by /u/SoreWristed
[link] [comments]

What do we need to accept from games in 2018?

Posted: 07 Dec 2017 11:49 AM PST

This post came to mind from the rise of loot crates and micro transactions in AAA titles

What do we as gamers need to bite the bullet and accept in future video games?

submitted by /u/Aletex13
[link] [comments]

Fan game developers: Do you try to follow the company's guidelines? (xpost with /r/gamedev)

Posted: 06 Dec 2017 05:24 PM PST

That is, do you either see if the company gives fans permission to make them (like SEGA) or you directly ask them if you can? I've seen a lot of rhetoric elsewhere such as "I don't care what the company thinks of my project". I think that this is sad because I always thought of fan games as a way to celebrate the original games and show the developer that you love the original games so much you'd make your own fan version.

submitted by /u/P-Tux7
[link] [comments]

New PC build not doing to good. (GTX 1080 TI acting up)

Posted: 06 Dec 2017 07:25 PM PST

How's it going everyone? I just built my first gaming PC. I'm getting my Bachelor's in computer engineering and decided it was time to build one. I have a asus Maximus 9 formula motherboard, 16gb of ram, Samsung 960 Evo m.2, Corsair 750w power supply, Corsair 100 liquid cooled, asus rog strix 1080 ti graphics card, Intel i7 7700k for my CPU, a 144hz 1440p monitor, and 3tb Toshiba hdd. I've never really messed with gaming computers, and I'm having issues getting fps. I played terraria full screen and it was horribly bad, same with Skyrim se. I'm brand new to the gaming PC scene, but I've downloaded all the latest drivers. I was hoping someone could have some suggestions, cause it feels pretty bad having all that hardware and putting it together just to see it doesn't work correctly. Any advice is welcome and suggestions for PC games cause I've only played console til now.

submitted by /u/TektiticGalaxy
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.