Minecraft - Improved Birch


Improved Birch

Posted: 21 Jul 2017 10:25 PM PDT

I fixed the Golden Apple texture

Posted: 22 Jul 2017 09:34 AM PDT

Our Server Found our 1st Fossil!!! We made this a proper 'dig site'. Sounds small but after personally mining over 800,000 blocks, I'm excited!

Posted: 22 Jul 2017 08:22 AM PDT

Realistic terrain using the Conquest Reforged mod.

Posted: 22 Jul 2017 04:30 PM PDT

I just finished the exterior of this RPG fort, any suggestions?

Posted: 22 Jul 2017 01:12 PM PDT

The Walled City of Sandomierz - This project took me half a year to set up in SMP. Tell me what you think!

Posted: 22 Jul 2017 11:22 AM PDT

Unpopular Opinion: I like the new texture changes.

Posted: 22 Jul 2017 07:52 AM PDT

I think pretty much all of them are great. I feel like people are just complaining because they are so used to the old textures and they don't want everything to look different.

submitted by /u/TheRedstoneBlaze
[link] [comments]

A New player's thoughts on Minecraft 1.13's Texture changes.

Posted: 22 Jul 2017 06:59 PM PDT

Since a lot of old players have been posting about their dissatisfaction with the 1.13 Texture Changes, I thought I could give a new player's perspective on it. Someone with no real nostalgia, but with a sincere appreciation for the game everyone here loves.

I downloaded and modified a resource pack from this subreddit. There were a couple of new textures that were missing, but it was easy to recreate them from the screenshots. I then recreated the screenshots in-game, and I also played a couple of hours of survival with it on the Hermitcraft 5 world seed. Seed: -9095450570362222980

Here are my thoughts:

Logs:

  • Birch: There was a Birch forest nearby spawn that I went and looked at first. The difference wasn't huge, but the wood was clearer and the grain that I used to think was annoying was gone.

  • Dark Oak, Acacia, Jungle, and Spruce: I encountered all of these at there respective biomes at different times. I thought that the darker woods felt a lot better with the new textures and looked more detailed. Acacia was noticeably better.

  • Oak: This new texture did NOT feel right. As soon as I saw it in the world, I was annoyed by it. Contrary to the other Logs, it looks yellower, overly grainy, and noisy. Much worse than the old texture by a mile.

Crafting Table:

I'll be honest. At first, when I instinctively made one and placed it down to make my stone pick, I had completely forgotten that it was different. It took me well over 20 minutes to remember, which imo is a good thing. It looked slightly cleaner without looking too smooth, which I preferred.

Cauldron

The Hermicraft seed has a quad witch hut near spawn, and I saw the new cauldron texture there. I don't use it much, but it looks pretty neat with that new line that wraps around it.

Planks

I only had the new Jungle and Oak planks, and while I didn't pay a lot of attention to it after staring at it for the first minute, the new one looked more shaded, but in a good way. I preferred it over the old texture.

Iron Blocks

Didn't notice much of a difference, so I don't have any preference.

Bricks

I don't really like the old bricks. It is one of the only textures I alter in the texture pack I use regularly. The new ones have a toned down red colour, don't look as monotone, and have better mortar, which is why I liked them a lot more.

Obsidian

I have two sets of 3 words. Looks like Coal. I don't like.

Even toned down as it is, it feels like it was designed to be a rock. Sure it follows the same lines as the old block, but the wildly different shading and the completely toned down purple ruins the whole look. I encountered it while mining, and I also built a few portals with it. Honestly, its the texture I liked the least.

Jungle Door

I rarely ever used the jungle door in my builds, so I don't think I'm a good judge, but the newer door's shading and holes look nicer than old texture, which felt more like a plywood with holes in it.

Diamond Block

I made one diamond block in the 2 and half hours I played in the survival world. I did not miss the old texture, since I always thought the little shadow in the corner made it near-unusable for building. My only thought was that the first retexture looked a lot better. The 2nd one had too much going on. It had edges with gaps in them, which had a rhombus in them, which had another rhombus in it, and the whole side was split into four different sections, all of which had different shades. The busyness of it was off-putting for me.

Emerald Block

After scamming half a village, I made my first block of emerald. The difference between old and new was huge, but compared to the last texture, it felt like an improvement. Instead of looking like slime, it was brighter, which suited the gemstone look. My only issue was that the top side of the texture was so bright it was near-white.

TL;DR - All in all, my impression in-game was kind of positive. The difference isn't as huge as you'd think, and a lot of the textures actually work better when you're not inspecting them and just playing the game. But some of the blocks like Obsidian and Oak logs are really off-putting, and definitely need some changes done to them.

submitted by /u/Conneron
[link] [comments]

Roma, The Eternal City(a project 1 year in the making)

Posted: 22 Jul 2017 07:36 AM PDT

I genuinely cannot understand why so many of you hate the new textures.

Posted: 22 Jul 2017 10:05 AM PDT

Ever since I first played Minecraft, I always thought the game really lacked a consistent art style. Mojang seems to agree, which is why they hired Jappa. It isn't just him though, as he said here. They're simply taking the textures, and converting them over to a more consistent pixel art style, which means no more noise being splattered everywhere or an excessive amount of colors being used. It will be all nice and consistent, and just look all around nicer.

If you don't know what I mean:
http://imgur.com/pnaWeJd
http://imgur.com/KhzQGhx

Most of the arguments I've seen so far don't really make any sense. Some people say the textures look too realistic. That doesn't make sense because they use fewer colors, and in general have more pronounced shape to them (i. e. diamond blocks). The colors aren't desaturated or anything either. People are also saying they look like a texture pack. That one just makes zero fucking sense, of course it's going to look like a texture pack. Some people are saying they're blurry, or losing detail, but that's because they're already used to the textures that just have random highlights all over them. It seems like a lot of the people dislike the new textures because they aren't as bad looking as the old ones. Also, I doubt you guys really know that much more than a team of art directors. You guys who hate the new textures will probably just end up getting used to them anyways.

What I think I'm trying to say is just chill. Mojang's got this. If you want to criticize, make it constructive and helpful. After all, it is just a game.

postscript: if anyone still thinks the new texture are the cancer of minecraft then like look at a lot of good pixel art until you can't stand the old textures or something idk, i'm just trying to keep it positive man.

EDIT: gilded. huh.

submitted by /u/Goatiyus
[link] [comments]

Wounded Steve (Art by me)

Posted: 22 Jul 2017 12:01 PM PDT

About the New Textures

Posted: 22 Jul 2017 01:51 AM PDT

As many of us have become recently aware of, it seems like Minecraft textures are getting an update. With Jasper Boerstra brought on to handle it.

Jasper Boerstra is a ~20 year old graphic artist from the Netherlands. From his sites older and newer we can see his style. Seems to excel with animated pixel art.

We can already find examples of his work on Minecraft below:

Before going forward lets keep in mind:

Good criticism understands the subject, ways in which it seems to fail, and how it could potentially be better. It is not just gut reaction. The concept of Jeb's law does not undermine good criticism, it undermines mob reaction.

That said there are three things I'd like to reference for perspective:

My central concern is that Jasper's work excels in animation. Looking at his history, his pages, shows just that. Very few still images. He's experienced in conveying energy, motion. Look at his work and focus on color, shading, style. Pause the animations. It starts to look worse.

Compare this to Junkboy's work. An unfair comparison given Junkboy is more experienced, but still. His work does a lot while still. It's interesting without conveying life. Shading and color are doing more work.

Think about Jasper's task: tweaking, remaking the textures. Mostly, if not entirely, still images. Even when animated, the textures represent mostly static objects. There's almost no opportunity to 'animate' in the same living way he normally does. Look at the Radiant Pixel's picture. Not a texture pack for everyone, but hard to say it doesn't do what it intends to well. It's interesting, it evokes Minecraft in the same way the promotional material does. Colorful, kid friendly, retro yet transformative. The changes Radiant Pixels makes often highlights that same feeling the artwork does.

Compare that to Jasper's changes so far: balancing out a blurred aesthetic with low details. The obsidian and brick tiles well, but the emerald block is a high contrast eye sore. The workbench looks much cleaner, but the jungle door is poorly defined. The works seem to consider each object singularly instead of cohesively. Radiant Pixel textures don't look weird when mixed and matched, they don't make you question where the light source is, etc. Jasper's jungle door and emerald block don't match. That emerald block looks awful as a room in large part because of it's bold shine.

The task of improving the vanilla pack should be a hard one. It shouldn't just recreate each object, it should be part of the game. Convey information. It's what's effective about this posted texture here. You convey information about the block and what will drop by how you design it. It's why so many packs make all iron objects match. It's one of the effective parts of The World of Color update, there's more consistency in color. The textures can convey a lot. Yes, it would take a lot work to consider each block, how they would pattern, how they compare to others, what they are made of, what you can do with them, etc. But that's why you would hire someone to do that. To be that mindful and effective through art.

I still have faith despite some rough starts. Jasper is clearly willing to tweak and change, and his skills have clearly improved over his career. I believe he can learn what makes an effective resource pack and implement that.

What are your thoughts, responses? What makes a good Minecraft resource pack? It's a great discussion even outside of this context.

Edit: Just noticed a very similar post made a few hours before mine here, and sorry for crowding on a similar topic. I missed it while I had the WIP tab open. It points out cobblestone, which I had missed, and is a worrying example.

submitted by /u/ArtisanVirgil
[link] [comments]

Simple afk gold and xp farm (no redstone)

Posted: 22 Jul 2017 06:55 AM PDT

While working on a zoo, I made textures to suit my needs! (Uploaded before, more textures now)

Posted: 22 Jul 2017 02:55 PM PDT

Slimenator 6000

Posted: 22 Jul 2017 01:26 PM PDT

As requested, more highlights from our creative world!

Posted: 22 Jul 2017 10:06 AM PDT

I think the solution to the different styles in textures from Notch and Jeb isn't replacing everything with a new style, that's what texture packs do. We need everything to be either the Notch style or the Jeb style.

Posted: 22 Jul 2017 04:56 AM PDT

However, some Minecraft textures haven't been changed for over 6 years as Minecraft exists. You can see a clear difference in detail between Notch' and Jeb's textures; Notch tends to make more grainy textures with less individual colors in them, and often basesnew textures on old ones, think stonebricks or bedrock, which are based on the stone texture, or the sign, ladder or chest textures, which are based on the Wooden Planks texture. Also, the stone texture only has 4 unique colors, and really, that's all that's needed to make it look like stone. Jeb tends to use more individual colors, and blends colors nicely. They have a more natural feel to them, think Andesite, Diorite or Granite. Those textures are also harder to use as part of new textures, which may be why we don't see as much textures based on old textures these days.

However, despite the different styles, we got used to them, but I think we need an artist to use either the Notch style or the Jeb style.

If people really care about what the textures actually look like, they'll probably just use a texture pack anyway, so I wonder how I even got triggered in the first place, because even if they decided to make all official textures in ms paint, it wouldn't be a problem, because we've got texture packs.

submitted by /u/Roelof1337
[link] [comments]

Regarding texture-update

Posted: 22 Jul 2017 11:24 AM PDT

stop acting like there aint gonna be 1000s of "classic" packs floating around next update.

submitted by /u/sistycrashy
[link] [comments]

I call it The 4 Elements Temple

Posted: 22 Jul 2017 09:14 AM PDT

I made a super detailed Unimog U2150 in Blockbench

Posted: 22 Jul 2017 08:29 AM PDT

go back to play old Minecraft and this is what i thought.

Posted: 22 Jul 2017 08:40 AM PDT

well the reason I go back to play the old minecraft is because people hating on every new update 1.7,1.8,1.9,1.10 and go on almost everyone say how good the old minecraft is, so I go back to play minecraft b1.7.3 and it was fun :D (for some reason the game is lag as #ELL.) also the night in the old minecraft ware scarier.. probably because it came out of nowhere, it was like.. hey this is daytime. -BOOM nighttime.

and came to the conclusion. is the old minecraft was better?? no, it's not. It was fun.. but.. new versions have more thing to do, more block to build with, and more mobs to fight. and the best things about newer versions(in my opinion) is commend blocks, redstone, A LOT more blocks and more adventure in survival mode.

(This is just my opinion, so.. please don't take it too seriously ) (also sorry for bad grammar, English is my second language, so.. it was a bit hard for me )

submitted by /u/Creeper2545
[link] [comments]

PSA: Redistribution of minecraft assets is against the terms of use. Please don't distribute or request the current vanilla textures.

Posted: 22 Jul 2017 01:10 AM PDT

While I personally think everyone should give the new textures a solid try, I know many people will use resource packs to revert them. As hosting these packs will violate the terms of use, I thought I'd let people know how easy it is to make youself, in the hopes it will prevent some needless rule breaking/sketchy downloads.

I only know the steps for windows, but u/yaycupcake has posted differences for mac users below.

.

  1. If you don't already have one, you will need a program like 7-Zip or winrar

  2. Go to \AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\versions\1.12

  3. Right click 1.12.jar, and click 7-Zip -> open archive (or whatever it is in winrar)

  4. Copy the assets folder to your desktop

  5. Create a file called pack.mcmeta, and use notepad (not MS Word) to put the following text in that file: (If you don't know how to do this step I've replied to this post with more detailed instructions.)

.

{ "pack": { "pack_format": 3, "description": "WHATEVER DESCRIPTION YOU WANT" } } 

. . 6. put the assets folder and pack.mcmeta into a folder or zip file. Name that folder whatever you want your resource pack to be called.

.

.

You could call it good now, but I recommend improving things a little with the following:

  • delete the stuff you don't need, lest it overwrite a change they make later. I suggest deleting everything except assets\minecraft\textures.

  • add a picture. Call it pack.png, and add it to the same folder as pack.mcmeta (try to keep it to 128x128)

.

Be aware that if an update makes any changes you do like, you need only go in and delete the textures that they changed, because if the game can't find a particular texture in the pack, it will use the (new) default one.

submitted by /u/Cultist_O
[link] [comments]

whoa...

Posted: 22 Jul 2017 06:00 PM PDT

My new SMP house

Posted: 22 Jul 2017 09:56 AM PDT

1.13 texture concerns

Posted: 21 Jul 2017 11:29 PM PDT

I've seen a lot of people talking about the 1.13 textures so I thought I'd give my concerns with them.

(Tell me if this is not a correct thing to post, I'm new to reddit)

 

At first I did not like these new textures, and while I would prefer to just keep the old ones I think I'm OK with them doing this. In fact I personally like a lot of the textures, and I've heard other people say they like them as well. However I am concerned about a few textures in specific, and I think many people are as well, judging by this sub and Twitter. These are opinions, but I don't think I'm the only one who holds them. tell me what you think:

Logs look quite blurry, and almost like they were soaked in water. Because of the blurriness the dark parts seem to have spread, making an ugly and obvious pattern that worsens at a distance, as you can see in the oak tree. Over all I can see what they were going for but I think they went too far on the anti-aliasing/blur and created a high contrast texture that looks like a poorly scaled down HD version. I think it's a good direction but it does not currently look good.

Oak wooden planks look a bit blurry as well, as if a horizontal motion blur was applied. I think the jungle wood planks that were posted in the door picture look fine, a much better version of the smoothed out planks. The oak version posted in the first crafting bench picture have too many intermediate colors that are very similar to each other and it looks muddy as a result. I'd like to see oak planks follow the style of the jungle planks.

The crafting bench doesn't fit, it almost looks like a toy or a cartoon. There seems to be a few styles here: the high contrast oak log; the cartoony crafting bench and birch log; and the pixel arty jungle wood, yellow flower, jungle doors, brick, cauldron, diamond block, etc. I think the texture is fine, if a bit smooth and plastic-y with a bit dark outlines, but mostly it just looks like a different style than everything else.

Finally, the worst offender, Cobblestone (look in the background). There's no way to put it nicely, I think it looks awful. It almost looks like pillow shading, which is one of the first things you learn not to do when first starting pixel art. There is very little contrast, which in addition to the simple shading makes it look (yet again) blurry. It looks from here like it's pure gray, which perhaps the old texture was as well but it had roughness to make it look like it had depth, the lack of any color ramps on this only exacerbates the smoothness. I'm hoping this is a prototype texture because it was never specifically revealed and only is seen in the background, but I had to mention it because to me it just seems far below the quality of all the other textures we've seen so far, it looks like the very first textures I made when attempting pixel art.

My list of textures I think are good and bad:

Good: Obsidian Iron Block Bricks Tall Grass Jungle Door Jungle Planks Yellow Flower Cauldron

Bad: Oak Planks Birch Log (maybe?) Crafting Bench (doesn't fit) Oak Log Cobblestone

I'm not opposed to change, but it should be done well. I do not think some of these textures are up to the quality of the rest or even to the original ones. But what about everyone else?

 

Anyways this is my first real reddit post so hopefully I didn't do anything too stupid or selfish. Tell me if I made any mistakes.

submitted by /u/Wolfie_Waffle
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.