Fallout - How Nuka-World Could Have Been Better


How Nuka-World Could Have Been Better

Posted: 24 Jul 2017 11:34 AM PDT

When you killed Colter, you could have been given a choice to be Overboss. If you rejected, you would have been kicked out of the park. You report your findings to the Minutemen, and you plan a siege on Nuka-World, establishing it as a settlement some time after.

Siding with the mintemen would yield a vast array of patriotic arms and armor. You would complete the siege, and for each of the zones cleared, you could assign settlers there to create said product. For example, if you assigned a settler to the world of refreshment, they would create nuka-cola. You could also let surviving factions have certain parts of the park, and they would help the minutemen.

As for new uniques, maybe there could be: an upgraded laser musket, armor with the minutemen symbol, firework blaster, and maybe an armor made from the items of dead chinese.

Just a thought.

EDIT: This is at the top of r/fallout right now

submitted by /u/Mysteriex
[link] [comments]

Pissing off my boss with Yes Man quotes

Posted: 23 Jul 2017 08:55 PM PDT

I recently found out my boss has been giving me a hard time because he wants me to quit. He was overheard telling someone how he thinks it's funny to slam me because he enjoys making me mad. I've proven myself to be better than him to a company director and he's unaware that he has one week left before I take his job. (He's trying to use me as a scapegoat and drag me into a shit-flinging match)

For the past 3 days I've just been ruthlessly positive and constantly quoting and para-phrasing Yes Man. (In lieu of getting into angry arguments with him about his shitty management)

"You forgot to check if the paint was tinted before bringing it here? That's going to make this job so much more... challenging. I really admire how you've stacked the deck against us to give us a chance to really show our skills against the odds!"

"I really admire how you chose the cheapest and lowest quality brushes for us to use. It keeps us on our toes. Effortlessness breeds laziness! A lesser manager would want good quality brushes in our hands for good quality work but where's the challenge in that?"

(After he called a hotel owner a ´fat cow´and lost us a 10 thousand dollar painting job) "You did such a great job managing that last quote, and I'm not just saying that because I have to!"

By doing this his constant berating and shit flinging has completely stopped because he doesn't know how to respond to the positivity. He just storms off almost every time.

Can't wait to reprogram my AI to be a little more assertive.

submitted by /u/ChasingAverage
[link] [comments]

Tried making a character that looks like an aged me.

Posted: 24 Jul 2017 12:10 PM PDT

I'm not super great at this, but I think I did pretty well. This is my first run through the game too! Tell me what you think! https://imgur.com/a/qGDmB

submitted by /u/Sponda
[link] [comments]

Why Does The Power Armor Only Degrade But Not The Other Armors?

Posted: 24 Jul 2017 11:11 AM PDT

It's seems ridiculous that power armor which was meant to be a tank on legs loses its armor after a few gun battles but while the combat armor, leather armor, and metal armor can still work after an infinite amount of firefights? Please Bethesda, Y U NO MAKE SENSE!?

Is there a mod(or something in the works) that adds armor degradation(maybe weapon degradation) so you don't get to carry your favorite items through out your whole campaign?

submitted by /u/yoamloco
[link] [comments]

Did anyone else see this post on r/history and immediately think of Fallout ?

Posted: 24 Jul 2017 01:25 PM PDT

[Picture] Can someone explain me what this dialogue from the original Fallout is supposed to mean?

Posted: 24 Jul 2017 06:27 AM PDT

The Perfect Vault Boy Epilogue

Posted: 24 Jul 2017 11:55 AM PDT

Around a year ago I posted this masterpiece to the r/foshelter subreddit. People have asked me "What ever happened to to the perfect vault boy?". Well I am here to answer your questions.

Unfortunately my pure Vault Boy race was driven to the brink as the Brotherhood of Steel found out about the atrocities I was committing. They eventually forced us into hiding with their superior technology and weaponry, and soon enough we were driven underground. My blonde haired maid and I got married in that bunker. My remaining dwellers and I refused to fall under enemy hands, so we all agreed to take our own lives. I shot my wife before turning the gun on myself.

So ends the tale of the Perfect Vault Boy.

submitted by /u/StealthSuitMkII
[link] [comments]

What is your favorite FO4 weapon?

Posted: 24 Jul 2017 07:02 AM PDT

My favorite is The Deliverer

submitted by /u/ShadowHunter918
[link] [comments]

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Posted: 24 Jul 2017 01:20 AM PDT

It could be a damn synth!

submitted by /u/Bloody_Insane
[link] [comments]

A Fact I find very hilarious about the BoS in Fo4

Posted: 24 Jul 2017 04:58 AM PDT

They think they are hot shit with their flying blimp, vertibirds, gatling lasers and power armor.

Then they get absolutely decimated by artillery fire from the Minutemen if you become enemies with them.

Deatroying them with the Railroad is fun and all but ita just hilariously anti climactic ending them with them mortars.

Then the Minutemen steal their vertibirds. Just to rub salt in the wound.

submitted by /u/Scudman_Alpha
[link] [comments]

Looking for New Vegas High Res Reputation Icon

Posted: 24 Jul 2017 12:20 PM PDT

Hey everyone as the post says wondering if there is a way to get a high resolution version of the reputation icons from New Vegas, specifically the Powder Gangers one. All i could find was a low quality one. Thanks!

submitted by /u/theycallmedenny
[link] [comments]

What's the most interesting thing you accidently found in any fallout game?

Posted: 24 Jul 2017 03:48 PM PDT

I think mine would be stumbling upon tranquility lane and ultimately my father in fallout 3. I was just exploring the Wasteland when I came accross the old body shop. Was completely blown away by the discovery of vault 12

submitted by /u/47sams
[link] [comments]

PC Gamer talks to Eric Fenstermaker: "One For My Baby: A look back at Fallout: New Vegas's best quest"

Posted: 24 Jul 2017 03:36 PM PDT

http://www.pcgamer.com/one-for-my-baby-a-look-back-at-fallout-new-vegass-best-quest/

Eric Fenstermaker was one of the main designers/writers on F:NV for anyone who doesn't know.

submitted by /u/silvercarving
[link] [comments]

Midway through my first playthrough of New Vegas. Got inspired and made a ska cover of "Heartache By The Numbers." Hope y'all like it!

Posted: 24 Jul 2017 03:13 AM PDT

link

NV is my first Fallout game, which I've heard isn't recommended, but I don't seem to be having any trouble following the story. I'm towards the end of Dead Money at the moment, having already played Old World Blues: in the main game, I've gotten to the point of getting laden down with about a kajillion side quests in Freeside before entering New Vegas proper and am now bouncing around the wastes trying to take care of them all.

Regarding Dead Money, is it weird that I've found myself becoming really protective of Christine?

submitted by /u/teuast
[link] [comments]

Do you lose companion perks?

Posted: 24 Jul 2017 03:44 PM PDT

I reached max affinity with Deacon but I want to destroy the railroad in my Brotherhood build. Would I still have his perk?

submitted by /u/_RedRaiu
[link] [comments]

Is it worth starting a new save for the DLC?

Posted: 24 Jul 2017 03:37 PM PDT

So I have put around 40 hours into one save in Fallout 4, my first run through so the character is kind of all over the place in terms of S.P.E.C.I.A.L and other stats. Sided with the Brotherhood at end game, not that it matters. This was around the time that the game was originally released.

Having not played Fallout 4 for well over a year I picked up all of the DLC and I'm yet to jump back in. Is it worth continuing with my current save to do the DLC or should I start afresh?

submitted by /u/mrtrmarshall
[link] [comments]

[Long] Come think of it; power armor is probably the worst type of armour for a wastelander.

Posted: 24 Jul 2017 02:48 PM PDT

I was (trying to) draw some Fallout thingy, and I went to search for power armor diagrams. Found this in the wiki

And I noticed something, something really interesting. And it's that, power armor is (almost) bloody useless in the post-war world. No, really. There are only 3 "factions" which could use it, the Institute, the BoS and the Enclave.

Why? Easy. Look at it. Seriously. It protects the user from a hell of a lot of damage, from high falls... And there's not much of a problem with fusion cores; you could get out or make someone change it. The power armor suffers the same problem as tanks did throughout the whole story of armored warfare: The operational range (in this case, of the pilot).

Imagine yourself in one of those suits, rampaging through raiders and monsters alike, while cruising through the wastes. Everything is fine and dandy... until you need to eat or drink. Now; we do know power armor suits have a recycling system for waste (I believe it's said in Fo2 or FNV) and can filter liquids and even food (Fo4). Hell, you can even lock the knees and rest inside (Fo1). But... where do you store the supplies?

Yep. The power armor fails by lack of "long-term pilot survivability". It's a weakness by itself. You can't carry a backpack/bag while wearing the armor;the straps would get stuck with the servos/gears and fuck everything up. So you are literally limited to whatever you can carry in your pockets inside the armor or whatever pockets you can fit without wrecking all the armor panels. You'll need someone else to carry your burdens, ammo and food (a la Lydia). Or fight close enough from your base so that you can eat and rest without carrying the stuff yourself.


Tl:dr In other words, power armor is the modern incarnation of a tank: Powerful. Nigh-unstoppable. Heavy and hard-hitting. But unsustainable by itself. You need support units to help those in power armor; which isn't a problem for the BoS or the Enclave, as it wasn't for the US Army; but is almost unarchivable by modern run-of-the-mill wastelanders.

submitted by /u/Cathlock
[link] [comments]

Far Harbor Mariner Finale: RIP Little Crabby

Posted: 24 Jul 2017 08:49 AM PDT

I know I'm more than a year behind the times here, but I just discovered this guy last night, and I'm still a little bothered by how that whole thing turned out.

I understand what the game was trying to accomplish with the mission and for The Mariner, but I still wish the game had given me some other options for resolving the quest than the only option I had. Maybe it's the fledgling biologist in me, but the glowing red eyes and dwarfism in the species are significant discoveries which warrant further study, not just to be smashed to bits on some lonely beach in the middle of the night. I wish I'd had the option to collect him and take him to any of the scientists in the game for further study, whether the to women at the Science Center in Diamond City, or even the folks in the biology lab in the Institute (assuming I hadn't already nuked it, of course). Granted, those guys were totally unethical and scheme-y, so maybe not them, but somebody! Even if I just gave it to Curie, and she did something with it, that would have been a great expansion to her character and wonderment at how life survives in this new world.

Anyway, if you want a TL;DR, I guess it's this: Bethesda made me feel bad for a tiny mirelurk, and I wish they'd given me more options for resolving the quest.

submitted by /u/MadMageMC
[link] [comments]

A Better Intro for Fallout 4

Posted: 23 Jul 2017 09:15 PM PDT

I've heard a lot of people complain about Fallout 4's intro. In particular, how it forces a specific backstory on the player character. You have no choice but to assume the role of one half of a married couple, and are then abruptly introduced to a weird, mannequin-like baby that you are somehow supposed to care about.

However, I'd argue that what makes Fallout 4's intro so bad isn't the fact that it gives the player a pre-determined backstory. It's the fact that the story is poorly developed and barely fleshed out. You only have a grand total of five minutes to meet your supposed spouse and child, and there is barely any dialogue that helps you to get to know them better. Although they would be pivotal to the main quest, by the time you hit the open world you barely have any reason to care.

Fallout 3, in contrast, does this much better. Although you're still given a very specific backstory, it is well-written and thoroughly developed. You are given plenty of time to get to know your father and to bond with him. You get the opportunity to explore key moments in your childhood, to talk to people and form bonds (or rivalries) with them. By the time you finally enter the wide-open world, you have plenty of reason to pursue the main quest.

So here's a little self-indulgent spiel that I wrote up. It hopefully fixes many of the issues with Fallout 4's original intro and gives the player more role-playing potential.


The game begins on the first day of Army boot camp. You step off the bus to a crowd of screaming drill sergeants. You're herded into a line to fill out your entry paper work. This is where you choose your gender, appearance, and S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats. You get the chance to talk to a few other recruits and drill instructors. Depending on your choices, the drill sergeants may make everyone "drop and give him 20", or if you're smart with your words, everyone may avoid getting dropped. This establishes that your actions will have consequences. You also briefly meet a recruit of the opposite gender named either Nora or Nate.

Fast forward two months. Still in basic training, your company spends the day at the firing range. Here, the basic combat mechanics are introduced. The company is then sent to a shoot house, where you have to simulate clearing a building. You can run through the shoot house like an honest little soldier, or you can fudge your score by hacking the score-keeping terminal, stealing the scoring sheets, or persuading the right people. This section introduces the idea that there are always multiple ways to approach a quest.

Fast forward another two months. You are on the Alaskan frontline, fighting off waves of Chinese attacks. This functions as another tutorial level, giving the player a taste of "real" fighting. In the heat of battle, you bump into Nora/Nate. You advance together, watching each other's backs. As the Chinese forces begin to rout, a Crimson Dragoon suddenly appears and gravely wounds you. As you lie bleeding on the ground, the Dragoon raises his sword to deliver the finishing blow. However, Nora/Nate jumps in front of you just in time, taking the hit for you and killing the Crimson Dragoon with a well-timed shot.

Fast forward another few months. A camera flashes as you and Nora/Nate are pronounced man and wife. Your new spouse pulls you aside for a moment and tells you how happy they are to have married you. You can respond by saying that the feeling is mutual, or by reminding them that this is only a "beard" marriage - you two only married so you can hide your sexual orientation.

Fast forward one year. The normal Fallout 4 intro sequence starts.


So there you have it. My two cents on how Fallout 4's intro could've been better. Thanks for reading :P

Please throw in your thoughts and/or feedback.

submitted by /u/QuadGenlock
[link] [comments]

Some Of The Feral Ghouls Placed In Fallout 4 Shouldn't Exist

Posted: 24 Jul 2017 04:08 PM PDT

In the beginning of the game when you run to the vault, you can deter from the path you are suppose to go but if you do, you get instant killed by the blast. If you can get killed by the blast outside, how can a person survive the blast hiding behind a thin sheet of metal or even wood. Well this could be a long shot but there is proof that people died inside the buildings the moment the bombs fell. If you go to concord inside the speaksy, you can see skeletons sitting on the chairs (one of them with a cigar in it's mouth). They were inside the building (with no signs of structural damage) that was made out of wood and they died instantly after the bombs fell but while the ones inside the building(that was made out of wood) at sunshine tidding cope are alive and turn into ghouls. I know one thing that is true, no one will kill a ghoul unless they gain something from it. They don't have anything valuable for an average person to hunt and kill(why waste bullets on a mindless creature when you can use the bullets on molerates or even defend yourself from raiders). Some of Feral Ghouls from the sunshine tidding died but 4 of them are inside 2 buildings behind a closed door(one of them has a recent dead corpse who maybe the person who killed the other 2 inside the settlement). No body hasn't come across this area to settle or even loot the whole area so these ghouls must've been in the same area ever since the bombs fell. They shouldn't be alive inside the shack after 200 years.

submitted by /u/yoamloco
[link] [comments]

Redlettermedia, Rogue One, and Fallout 4 (my thoughts on the game a couple hours in)

Posted: 24 Jul 2017 04:01 PM PDT

Okay I suck at structuring articles so I'm gonna take a no-bullshit approach to this. I have a simple complaint about Fallout 4 that I haven't really heard being tossed around the anti-Bethesda circles, so I thought I'd put it here.

Placing everything else I don't like about the game aside, this is the biggest issue I have with the storytelling: this largely feels like a game made of pure fan-service.

For people who don't know Redlettermedia is a web-based film studio created by Mike Stoklasa which caters to a lot of niche tastes. Their consensus on Rogue One: A Star Wars story a couple of months ago was that it relied on the appeal of the larger universe and the loyalty of the fanbase to make money, instead of producing a meaningful narrative with appreciable characters, using tactics like overexposing the iconic imagery of Star Wars' earlier films. This is exactly the feel that I'm getting from the Commonwealth.

I'm not going to grandstand as an expert on things Fallout. I play New Vegas a lot, and that's about it. But whereas that game was steeped in satire and meaningful world design everything in 4 seems built to exist simply because 'atompunk, power armor, laser rifles, things I know.'

Exempli gratia: in New Vegas power armor was partially a simple force multiplier and a holdover from the earlier games' take on a more totalitarian prewar America, using the dreamed-about technology of the atomic age and progress in a way that suited a capitalist society which had become super-nationalist and a juggernaut willing to sacrifice huge numbers for wealth and power.

New Vegas used this powerful prewar technology to make a small statement about the NCR; most players will remember that a lot of their heavy troopers only ever wore Stripped armor, which was the metal exoskeleton without any operant hydraulics or weapons systems, so as to make it easier to use. While this also kept with the characterization of NCR being overpopulated with unskilled laborers, it's also relevant thematically: they're also a brash echo of the past and while tough they do not have guts enough to stand the test of time. This also provided a juxtaposition between the resident Brotherhood chapter, which favored Isolation after Elijah's folly led to their near-destruction, and while small in number was efficient and zealous and had trained power-troops.

Fallout 4 gives you a suit within the first half hour or so and has you fight a deathclaw, because I don't know, it's fucking awesome man! Look at that cool visor and the totally badass minigun and how you plummet onto the ground ahhh yeah that's the good shit right there!

The conflicts in 4 and New Vegas are also a good example. As explored in Lonesome Road a lot of the NCR/Legion war over Vegas is more importantly about the dominance and destruction of cultures. There are stakes here; the Courier choosing to support either of those options will result in the small cultural identity forming within Vegas to be annihilated, and supporting their own ruling class (basically House) will end up destroying both of those peoples. It's only through Yes-Man's intervention and the conduct of the Securitrons are you able to secure the safety of every group, though this is also a mixed bag because each of the factions may prove disastrous to the Wasteland in the long run. The NCR decaying as it slowly succumbs to the corrupt morass back West will result in a refugee crisis that may overwhelm the Eastern territories. Without your intervention the Legion's personality cult will similarly implode, and under men like Lanius it's a completely genocidal wild card. Vegas itself is a gangland of intrigue and possibility - is that really what we want to impose on future generations?

Fallout 4 begins mid-invasion of the Commonwealth by the Brotherhood, coming to fight the Institute, a bastion of technology and progress, and also pre-war America, with all the lovely benefits that has, like faux-idealism, copious homicide, and the exploitation of technology to forcibly exploit a geopolitical area.

I got nothing.

Granted, I have not played more than a few hours so far, so that analysis will probably change over time. Feel free to take it with a grain of salt, as with everything. But yes, this is my problem with the game; the aesthetic and worldbuilding feel painfully shallow and so far I just haven't felt like anything I'm doing is meaningful.

Thoughts on this?

submitted by /u/Kakroom
[link] [comments]

Something interesting I noticed while playing Operation Anchorage

Posted: 23 Jul 2017 07:45 PM PDT

The "Chinese" spoken by the Chinese soldiers in Operation Anchorage is pretty hilarious, and makes no sense at times. One of the things they like to shout a lot is "开火", which literally means "open fire", but would never be used in the context of firearm combat. It's actually used in the context of cooking, for turning ovens/stoves/burners on,

It's as if whoever programmed the simulation just plugged "open fire" into google translate, and was like, GOOD ENOUGH (funnily enough, 开火 is what you get from google translate if you type in "open fire")

If you actually want to say open fire in Chinese, you'd say "开枪", which literally means "open gun"

submitted by /u/mifdsam
[link] [comments]

Question regarding You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head

Posted: 24 Jul 2017 11:59 AM PDT

So I took Tenpenny's counteroffer to kill Crowley, but I also want the T-51b. Can I kill crowley, get the bounty, then get the armor if I get the keys first(in that order)?

submitted by /u/Roamer21XX
[link] [comments]

Fallout 4 Hunting Rifle Build question

Posted: 24 Jul 2017 11:42 AM PDT

I've been thinking about running through the game using the Hunting Rifle as my main and either a shotgun or pistol as my backup. I'm wondering if this would be a viable playthrough on Survival difficulty.

submitted by /u/Reytholian
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.