Civilization - Yes this seems like a fair deal, thanks Elizabeth


Yes this seems like a fair deal, thanks Elizabeth

Posted: 03 Jun 2017 07:49 AM PDT

Here's What Civ VI Needs to Fix

Posted: 03 Jun 2017 08:55 AM PDT

I love Civilization games, like a lot. I started on Civ 4 in 2014, and moved on to Civ 5 after a few months. I have totaled 1,209 hours on Civ 5, a lot of it split between singleplayer and multiplayer. I pre-ordered Civ 6 because I thought it looked a lot better, and because it really looked like Firaxis was taking the community's suggestions to heart. I've played it for 17 hours over the 7(?) months it's been released now, and that's a pretty big shame.

Civ VI is not a bad game. But there's a lot of tweaks and new features that just don't sit quite right. So I'm going to try to break it down in the best way I can.

Graphics

Civ has pretty much always been a cartoony series, and contrary to popular belief, Civ 5 was the odd man out of the series. However, many people were roped into Civ 5 because of its relatively realistic graphics, which made a lot of the game seem more... well... real (eloquent I know). Armies battling felt like armies battling, and cities felt like cities, and leaders felt like leaders.

When the shift came to Civ 6, a lot of the people that were very happy with what came with Civ 5's graphics were disappointed with Civ 6's. A lot of people were probably expecting what Oriental Empires looked like.Now, I warmed up to it pretty damn fast. I was a skeptic of the graphics at first, but I really did come to love them, and I still do actually.

You may be asking "Well, the game's released already, how can they fix the graphics now?" And the answer is, they shouldn't. But they should improve on what's already there. I'm not the first to say this by a long shot, but one simple step they could take for this is just adding more units on the map.

Here's an example I found after like 15 minutes of searching.

Another way to combat this problem of an "unrealistic feeling" is by adding some sort of saturation sliders to make the game a bit more muted such as in this post.

These two things alone will do volumes. A slider or small adjustment in the menu would obviously be the preferential choice for this. I'm not a programmer, or a graphics designer, or anything like that by a long shot, so many of these proposed solutions way before the game even launched might be entirely impossible, but it's one of the most pressing issues.

Religious Victory (Religion in general, really)

Yikes. I was a proponent of adding a religious victory since I first played Civ 5, and now that I have my hands on it, I can see that it definitely needs a reworking. Like, it might be worse than the Diplomatic victory in Civ 5.

I think part of the issue with Civ 6's religious victory is the bit that it works nothing like real life, and it's incredibly easy to just spam produce Mormons every couple of turns like the Second Coming is next Monday. So, yeah. Also, there's the issue with all religious matters being totally state controlled, which I'll touch on with a potential solution a bit later.

I saw an interesting online post on how Civ V criticizes religion, and while I don't think that's actually the case, when you're in-game, it's very hard to separate religion from the people running other countries.

Religion always becomes an international conflict between superpowers rather than the complex thing that it actually is. This probably needs an entire expansion to deal with, though. Adding Holy Orders and AI missionaries (more on that later), religious structures like the Papacy, sects and denominations, and possibly tribal religions could all help ease the game into a more idealized version of what religion could be.

I'll admit, I'm a Europa Universalis fanboy, but the game undeniably murders Civ at religion. Religion seems like a by product of the world, and not a by product of arcane superpowers representing their respective gods on the battlefield (and as cool as that sounds, I'm not even sure it does that right.

Unskippable Leader Scenes

I'm not sure who put this in the game, but fuck that guy. Let me back out of a pointless denouncement leader screen, pretty much as soon as it starts. Don't make me go through two screens, or I may punch a hole through mine.

The Lack of a World Congress

Now, I firmly believe that the Diplomatic victory from Civ 5 was probably the shittiest part of the entire game. It was a fucking steamroll for whoever managed to buyoff the most city-states, or if everyone was being particularly anti-social, the first person to get the Forbidden Palace.

The World Congress on the other hand? Oh boy, that was one of my favorite parts. The thing about the ol'WC was that it got people moving, particularly in multiplayer. Scheming and time were of the utmost importance in having your goals play out on the world stage.

It sped up the game, and gave a decent reason to move your ass every ten turns or so. It also offered global interaction which is another point I'll be illustrating in a second.

The World Congress was such a fun part about Civ, and I only realized this after I had to play vanilla Civ without it. You might be able to guess, that it was totally not fun. Surprisingly, it actually felt a lot like Civ 6.

Global Interaction

Ah, my Paradox Fanboy senses are tingling again. Ok, I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to reference Eu4 and Ck2 again. One of the great things about these games is that they feel global in a truly massive way. Not just in the sense of being large (which they also do well at), but also by making you feel that the events oceans away are actually important.

A strong Indian state emerging from the dumpster fire the subcontinent starts out as is a huge deal because it means colonization is now going to be extremely hard, risky, and costly.

Seeing the Muslims slowly creep up through Iberia also unnerves you, because it means that the dynamic of power in the game is fundamentally changing. There are big, massive battles that take place, and even though you can literally only see numbers coming out of them, they still feel more impactful than pretty much any battle in Civilization, because a lot relies on every fight.

Ottomans just captured Vienna? A major power has just been broken, and Islam is now coming closer to the Vatican.

Mexico and Venezuela and Colombia all revolted against Spain? Guess half of Western Europe is getting dragged in over some war that might seem very insignificant to the German states that are currently in a civil war over the Protestant Reformation. But what about Austria? Now she has to decide whether she wants to help Spain fight for her colonies against the French, or if she wants to whip the Protests back in line.

Everything, and I mean everything, has gravity. Even if it's something seemingly innocuous. That's what Civ VI misses. Civ V did all of this pretty decently, though, even if not to the same extent that Paradox games do.

It feels like a book where that one thing that was hinted at in chapter 2, actually turns out to be pretty relevant to the coming story. Bran gets pushed off a balcony in Game of Thrones? That serves as a plot point for the rest of the series as he tries to get his legs functioning again. The same thing can be said for those Paradox games, even if it's not always directly apparent what had those consequences.

One thing that I've always thought would be more interesting, is if there were some internal politics, or you could finance rebellions in other people's countries. Suddenly, by adding one little feature you sort of have to pay attention to the internal politics of nations seas away.

A religious conflict between two sects could bring in nearby city-states (which really should be called Minor Nations instead. It sort of delegitimizes what they actually are when you don't say so) or civilizations to support a Catholic government or a Protestant coup.

Hell, they could even add dynamic Global Catastrophes that would require action on a worldwide scale. Global warming/Climate change would need action in the World Congress, or new technologies to reduce your impact (it could be as easy as just implementing a goal, where you have to decommission a few of your factories).

If you don't do it, you get desertification in warm areas which destroy certain resources, or you get swamp lands from rising sea levels. This makes geography really important, and it forces people to act in a manner that requires global action to get shit done.

Nuclear wars could create radiation that actually kills off population, and makes things very unusable. The location of radiation changing, and spilling over into other countries might make nuclear war something very scary (the radiation thing was done perfectly in Civ 5. Please bring it back.) Enough nukes go off, and we get a nuclear winter that lowers food from resources, and causes more tundra to appear, as well as ice in the water, potentially sealing off trade routes.

Again, that's fundamentally important to the game, and it forces us to think as a part of a world.

One other way would be to add some sort of greater alliance features that allows for true World Wars and Cold Wars to take place. Civ 5 somehow managed to do better at this than Civ 6 has. Even more so, allow us to form Blocs to break up the monotony of diplomacy. Stuff like trade unions, huge military pacts (some of which could be selective to a particular issue, like "We Protestant Germans will come to the aid of one another if Austria attacks").

I totally get why a lot of this might not even be do-able. It's a lot of fucking work, and someone has to program it all. Someone has to create new UI, and someone needs to balance it all too, not to mention create new AI components. But the way it is right now, it borders on abysmal.

This leads me into my second to last point!!!!111!!!!11!!!!

The A.I

Yeesh. Firaxis, let's talk. You make great games, but you do not make good A.I in Civ. Giving the A.I cheatcodes does NOT constitute as hardness. That constitutes as an annoyance at best.

There are two extremes I've seen when it comes to A.I in strategy games. There's the Paradox way where it's "*Git gud or die," and all the A.I manage to play the game at God tier levels (and lowering the difficulty just gives the *player bonuses.

And then there's the way of Civ, which is just to make the A.I have an IQ of 40, and pump them with steroids when the player decides to take it up a notch.

Frankly, I get it. A.I is really, really fucking hard to make. You did it perfectly in Xcom, though, so I do have faith that you know how to make good A.I. But honestly, just lower the number of difficulties to like 3. Easy, Normal, Hard. That's it. On easy, the player gets bonuses. On normal, the player and AI play with the same rules. And on hard, you give the A.I bonuses. Just make the AI harder to beat, even on easy mode. People have literally eternity to take a turn, anyone can figure out what to do given enough time.

It's not Dark Souls, and it's not even an RTS like the PDX games I've been referencing so much in this.

Statism is a lot, but it's not everything

In Civ, you obviously need statism in a lot of things for the game to function properly. But a little bit less control would make the game a bit more interesting. War deters new businesses from spawning, and pirates could spawn in desolate areas to plunder trade routes.

If small Guilds (and later businesses) could create their own improvements in your borders that gave revenue, and spawned trade routes, it would immensely improve trade.

If religions could naturally make their way into the world and have beliefs based on what would be helpful for where they spawned, it would be much more interesting. Missionaries are created by a church improvement, and they go begin converting nearby cities. You could naturally view a religion growing, and possibly see other missionaries be persecuted by inquisitors that chase them down.

Later, Holy Orders could be naturally created, and go wage war to spread religion, possibly founding a city-state or two as they go.

Political Proponents could spawn to encourage people in a civilization or city-state to change to a new system of government, like Che Guevara going to South America to help spawn new communist countries. Or Garibaldi gathering support for a republic in Italy.

All this would encourage more natural play, and tie in well if the economic systems are ever improved upon (which I would also urge).


That pretty much sums everything up. I'm not really great at writing closing remarks, so I'll just end it up by saying that Civ VI is a good game at the moment, but it has the potential to become a great game if it fixes it's current issues.

I'll close this by pleading that Firaxis please look at the model that Paradox tends to use for it's games (I know, I know, I've fawned over it enough, but I'm not done). Paradox Interactive tends to put out generally "Meh," base games but ends up adding new mechanics with massive expansions every 4-6 months. These are major reasons why people love the PDX games. They are constantly being updated with new content, that feel like they greatly increase the replay value.

They release them for about $20, and they pump them out. For example, Crusader Kings II came out with an expansion that added Satan worshipers and occult organizations which adds some of the funniest and most fun experiences I've managed to have in a game.

They released El Dorado for Eu4 which allows you to create custom nations, and that was also fun as hell. There was also The Cossacks DLC which added tons of new intriguing mechanics for internal politics.

This is a win-win situation for the community and you guys. You keep the community entertained, and get to fix shortcomings over time, while at the same time making bank off of all the DLC you sell. You kinda do this already (such as with BNW and G&K), but it's been 7(?) months and there hasn't even seemed to be talk of a new expansion. It took you two years before you fixed the lack luster aspects of Civ 5. I beg of you, get quicker on the expansions this time, even if they're a bit smaller.

And so that concludes my tangent about this game, hope you enjoyed.

submitted by /u/ComradePruski
[link] [comments]

University or Observatory?

Posted: 03 Jun 2017 08:58 AM PDT

Extra History started a series on Kamehameha the Great, Polynesia's leader in Civ 5!

Posted: 03 Jun 2017 11:48 AM PDT

What are some great scenario concepts for the developers to add to the game later on?

Posted: 03 Jun 2017 04:09 PM PDT

Maybe one regarding America's manifest destiny or one purely regarding the original Native American tribes?

submitted by /u/aboveaverageandy
[link] [comments]

Kamehameha the Great - I: The Lonely One - Extra History

Posted: 03 Jun 2017 12:13 PM PDT

Unusual Victories

Posted: 03 Jun 2017 01:43 PM PDT

I like to try for unlikely victories with completely unsuited civs. Not as impossible as a Kongo Religious, but along those lines. My fave was a Scythia cultural victory. Only on Prince, but still felt good. Your best example?

submitted by /u/erebus501
[link] [comments]

What Civ game is your favorite?

Posted: 03 Jun 2017 04:22 PM PDT

all civs represented in civ 6

Posted: 03 Jun 2017 01:37 AM PDT

Which AI mod do you guys recommend for Civ VI?

Posted: 03 Jun 2017 08:39 AM PDT

I play on King and have been using Artificially Intelligent for the AI but it doesn't make them really any better at war. I've tried some Dom only games and they'd be at war for hundreds of years with no progress ever being made. Sure they get ahead of me in tech a few times but they still never could take a city from me or another AI. I was wondering if, in your guys experience, AI+ was better in this regard? Or if maybe there just isn't a mod out yet that makes the AI good at war?

submitted by /u/Bit_Strife
[link] [comments]

Does anybody else wish that cities looked more like this rather than little clumps of buildings?

Posted: 03 Jun 2017 07:56 PM PDT

Civ 6 Tech/Civic Graph

Posted: 03 Jun 2017 09:07 AM PDT

I put the Tech and Civic trees into GraphViz and added Boosts as dependencies. It was fun and gave me some more insights in how everything fits together, so I though I'd share.

The result looks like this, rendered in two ways: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lwa48qig3griyry/civtree.svg?dl=0 https://www.dropbox.com/s/scsmltluzasurwr/civtree2.svg?dl=0

Red dependencies are direct boosts. Blue needs you to do something. Some redundant blue lines were excluded, it become cluttery enough as it is.

The dot file for anyone interested: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nsjqadzhlh7dgix/civtree.dot?dl=0

submitted by /u/hugge
[link] [comments]

Minus 7 appeal

Posted: 03 Jun 2017 10:45 AM PDT

How did I get minus 7 appeal? I recall all negative modifiers are limited to -1 only so the lowest should be -6. This is the lowest I have seen, and I have seen +18 appeal.

submitted by /u/meanFalse
[link] [comments]

Tourism and pillaged tiles.

Posted: 03 Jun 2017 02:24 PM PDT

I've looked everywhere I know to look and could not find the answer.

Do pillaged tiles contribute tourism? My assumption is that they don't, but I would like to figure it out before I sail the sees to demolish Pedro's resort spam.

submitted by /u/arca404
[link] [comments]

Civilization III: How do I access saved game files/play Vanilla Civ III with the Complete edition?

Posted: 03 Jun 2017 02:02 PM PDT

Had no luck in finding a way to accomplish either. Any seasoned Civ Vets who can help me?

submitted by /u/ADigitalWizard
[link] [comments]

Does anyone have an explanation to what I'm seeing in this banner? (production -> culture)

Posted: 03 Jun 2017 11:49 AM PDT

SIX unique luxuries in my capital including 3 salts. What's the most you've ever gotten?

Posted: 02 Jun 2017 09:06 PM PDT

I found a working version of the PerfectWorld map script for Civ 6!

Posted: 03 Jun 2017 11:42 AM PDT

What are some fun ways to play civ V?

Posted: 03 Jun 2017 11:23 AM PDT

Error joining multiplayer session

Posted: 03 Jun 2017 04:53 PM PDT

Been on the lookout for the past 2 hours to join and play games. Everytime I join it says error multiplayer lookout. What the fuck is going on???

submitted by /u/KickPistol
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.