Civilization - [VI] The Argument for the Canal District


[VI] The Argument for the Canal District

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 01:21 PM PDT

For as long as this sub has existed there's been no shortage of canal city posts. A recent one pointed out the fact that in Civ VI you don't have the ability to pass through a city that you have open boarders with (a fact that I believe should be remedied as well,) but it got me think again about the idea of a canal district and why that isn't a thing yet.

District vs. Improvement

I know some have proposed a canal improvement. Though an intersting proposal I could see the result of that getting a bit messy. (Any Civ: Call to Power players remember unlimited canals?) One of the best parts about canal cities in V and VI as it stands is the planing that one must do to achieve the desired water way. Canal districts keep that canal planing aspect intact while offering a bit more freedom, creativity and fun. A canal isn't viable just anywhere, but with proper planing they could get pretty cute, which leads me to the next part:

Connecting Canals

Up until the inevitable canal district, all we had were canal cities. One tile, thats all you get. The advantage of the canal district not only frees your city placement options up a little, it also opens up to possibility of a multi-tile canal. "But dogboyboy, didn't you just say how a canal improvemnet option could start to get a little messy?" Yes, I did. But the beauty of the canal district is it inherently caps canal lengths, most commonly at 3, though in theory 7 or maybe 8 could be mathematically possible, but unlikely based on terrain. Here's the longest one I could think up.

A man, a plan, the Netherlands

While we're talking about canals lets have some fun spit balling. Netherland can build two canal districts per-city? Teddy instant builds his first canal for free? What are some other canal special abilities you can think might be cool?

submitted by /u/dogboyboy
[link] [comments]

What is that? What *is* that?!

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 07:47 AM PDT

California just passed a law today that makes Red Shell's and Firaxis's data harvesting practices illegal.

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 11:15 PM PDT

Had an interesting start

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 12:32 PM PDT

(Civ VI) The AI had settled a fantastic double canal on a lake, thought I'd share it with this sub!

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 02:36 AM PDT

When You Have The Perfect Campus Tile... Except it is a Lake Tile :(

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 10:36 AM PDT

The Greatest City State Empire you will EVER see!

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 03:26 AM PDT

Civ 5 player needing advice on civ 6

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 11:52 AM PDT

picked up civ 6 on the summer sale, and i need advice. I feel like I'm going in with a civ 5 mentality where i try to build tall and have one city for a while, but this doesn't seem to be working. Everything seems a lot longer to build or research, and the AI are constantly outclassing me. What are the key differences in what to prioritize and how to play between civ 5 and 6?

submitted by /u/yprot
[link] [comments]

Civ 5 World Builder can't run?

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 07:38 PM PDT

I was able to use the Civ 5 world builder about 2-3 days ago just fine, but today when I tried to run it, it gave me this error:

"The World Builder cannot run because the game is running Please close Sid Meier's Civilization V then try running the World Builder again."

Civ 5 is not running, I have checked task manager for background processes, restarted Steam, and verified the tool's files. I've also searched online for a fix, but nothing has turned up and I'm not sure what to do to fix this. If anyone has any advice, please tell me.

submitted by /u/Avery_Goodname
[link] [comments]

Loyalty is BS on Domination

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 07:33 AM PDT

I really find the loyalty issue in Civ 6 to be annoying when trying to do a domination victory type.

Sometimes, I have to retake a city 5-6 times while I take enough cities/ raze enough cities in an area where I'm not losing newly captured cities within 3-4 turns. I admit, it adds a layer of difficulty, but holy crap it is annoying, especially when you're in a dark age.

Any tips for combatting the loyalty issue? I try to load up on loyalty and amenity policies but it's tough to keep a balance with gold and science production as well.

submitted by /u/Zafriti
[link] [comments]

You ever feel patronized when you are losing?

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 08:35 PM PDT

Why does the AI sometimes declare war and stays at war with you for a very long period of time for no particular reason? [CIV 5]

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 03:38 AM PDT

Playing as Bismarck, settled my city a bit higher up towards Rome, Augustus flipped and declared war. Proceeds to be friendly and backstabs me. That's fine.

Casimir, who is pretty far from me, even with caravansaries I can't reach him, flips out even more at me for settling near Rome and stays at war with me up until the modern era. I may have built some wonders that he wanted or I may have gotten too close too him but never did I provoke him, a CS allied to him or his "allies". The bastard just downright refused to negotiate peace until I took a considerable amount of his units.

submitted by /u/LightOfVictory
[link] [comments]

Forced out when your city rebels can be annoying.

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 05:57 AM PDT

I remember playing a console version of civ, what is it called and can u get it on pc? I’ve tried all the ones in steam store but it’s not them (Xbox 360)

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 01:38 PM PDT

Why Civilization II Is The Best Game In The Series

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 07:34 AM PDT

[Civ VI] Tips and tricks for playing with Montezuma on your border?

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 01:28 PM PDT

This dude is an giant dickhat. He gets mad when you utilize the luxury resources that are within your border, then he will randomly declare war on you for no reason.

Here are a few tips I've found to be helpful dealing with the Aztec warlord:

  • Keep an eye on his strategic resources with the diplomacy screen. If Monty has horses he can quickly rush your territories. Always keep a pair of Pikemen around to blunt the charge.

  • Forward scout: having a recon unit at a forward spot gives vital information about where his troops are.

  • Upgrade existing units rather than building new ones. Having modern units is huge. Rather than spending production to build the new units, use your Treasury to instantly upgrade your older ones.

What other tips and tricks do you guys have for dealing with warmongering Montezuma?

submitted by /u/janas19
[link] [comments]

My cities are too productive? [Civ V]

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 11:06 AM PDT

Hi! This may seem like a dumb question, but I'm playing King difficulty as Poland. This is my first time above Prince, and after a rocky start I seem to be doing okay. A problem occurred, however, when my first three cities ran out of buildings to produce. This was still medieval era, so I couldn't produce gold or science instead. So I had to start making units, but they only took 1-2 turns to produce, so my land filled up quickly with soldiers. Then, after feeling the strain of maintenance costs, I made workers instead, which I've heard contribute less to maintenance costs.

After, I've realized that I should have switched my cities to food and gold focus to decrease production, and maybe sold or given away my extra units. Nevertheless, is there anything I'm missing that I could've done? Is this a common problem? My 12 workers and I thank you for your input.

submitted by /u/GoldenArcher823
[link] [comments]

Something's not quite right...

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 08:17 PM PDT

Is Civ VI for iPad worth it?

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 11:47 AM PDT

It's on sale now for $23.99 and I don't know if I should get it or not.

submitted by /u/aekam70
[link] [comments]

[Civ 6] Canals

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 07:07 PM PDT

Anyway to make canals than putting a city on the tile? Like a district or improvement. If there isn't in the base game is there a mod for it?

submitted by /u/BaptistBro
[link] [comments]

Gilga-messed up

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 03:51 AM PDT

Come to Rome, the happiest place in the world. We have.... sheep!

Posted: 28 Jun 2018 11:03 PM PDT

War (Civ VI)

Posted: 29 Jun 2018 01:09 PM PDT

I feel like the AI almost never declares war on other civs. I played a game on Emperor where the AI declared war only three times from ancient era to information era

submitted by /u/_Fredder_
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.