Super Smash Bros - Daily Discussion Thread 02/19/18


Daily Discussion Thread 02/19/18

Posted: 18 Feb 2018 11:11 PM PST

Welcome to the Daily Discussion Thread series on /r/smashbros! Inspired by /r/SSBM and /r/hiphopheads's DDTs, you can post here:

  • General questions about Smash

  • General discussion (tentatively allowing for some off-topic discussion)

  • "Light" content that might not have been allowed as its own post (please keep it about Smash)

Other guidelines:

  • Be good to one another.

  • While DDT can be lax, please abide by our general rules. No linking to illegal/pirated stuff, no flaming, game debates, etc.

  • Please keep your meme spam contained to the sticky comment provided below.

If you have any suggestions about future DDTs or anything else subreddit related, please send them our way! Thanks in advance!

Also, if you want to chat with other /r/smashbros users you can do so via our Discord channel.

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

DATA - Bayonetta - A detailed statistical breakdown of Smash 4's most controversial character.

Posted: 19 Feb 2018 10:11 AM PST

My son got caught playing Bayonetta. Am I a miserable failure as a father and a human being?

Posted: 19 Feb 2018 12:58 PM PST

Last Tuesday, at about 9:30 PM, I got a phone call from the local PD. My son was one of four teenage boys in a vehicle that was pulled over for suspiciously obeying all traffic laws. The police did a routine search of the vehicle and while they did not find any drugs, alcohol, or weapons, they did find a paper grocery bag containing Bayonetta 2 for the Switch as well as a Bayonetta plushie. My son admitted it was all his. They made him stomp on the plushie and fling the game into the woods, gave him a warning, and called me.

While I am grateful that they didn't cite him for camping in a school zone, which they easily could have, I have to admit that I am responsible for this in some way. As a father, one likes to imagine that his kids are somehow better than those other kids messing with Rosas and crap, but that is not always the case. There were warning signs with my son, not only did I miss them, but I dismissed them.

In all honesty, he has probably been using campy characters since he was 12. I remember one time I took his "Wobblers Guide by Chudat" for the all night CRT party he was participating in at his dirty friend's house in the shantytown across the railroad tracks and they were playing Melee.

"But Dad! They are playing Sheik and Pikachu! There's no other way to win!"

How could I say no? He would be ridiculed and that damage to his ego was just not worth it to me at the time. I let him go.

Fast forward a couple of years and I catch him sneaking a Wii Remote and Nunchuks into the house. When I confronted him about it, he was ready with his excuses. "I'm playing Snake, I promise!" "I'm not using Icies or Meta Knight." "Lots of good players play Brawl too!"etc.

I let it go.

But then other things started happening: he didn't go 0-2 at locals, he was reluctant to Falcon ditto me, and he shrugged at the chance to watch Mango play. He stopped programming, started reading "50 Places To Camp Before You Die" and I swear to God, I heard him listen to Chudat's raps one time. One of his friends even told me that he made a joke about Dabuz at school.

I ignored all of this at the time because I had finally perfected my Falco game in Melee and had beaten my son. He seemed to enjoy my gameplay.

But then one night, I caught him red-handed. He was playing Bayonetta, and this was in the Pre-Patch days. I reprimanded him.

"What is this, L+R+A+Start and switch to Ganon this instant!"

He just grumbled. I walked over to do it for him, and he attacked me. He hit me in the jaw, and then started pounding me in the face when I was down. I managed to subdue him from my years of Wavedashing out of shield, and found, to my horror, that he was using only a Wiimote to play Bayo. I ziptied him to his bed and ransacked his room to find his secret stash of Bayo games and Brawl discs. He laughed maniacally and said I would never find it. I looked him dead in the eyes and said, "You have brought dishonor on our family. You will not move from this spot until you tell me where it is." He stared back and did not say a word. I punched him in his stupid face and ransacked the house looking for the Bayo gear he hid. I found it hours later underneath a tile in our Delfino Plaza. I destroyed the stash right there, went up to my son's room brandishing the smashed piece of outdated filth and said, "Never again." I left him tied up there for three days just to prove my point.

Six months passed without further incident. He switched to Falcon, quit making Dabuz memes, all that crap. I thought I had done my job, but no, I just gave him more of an incentive tohide his camping habit.

Then this happened. The proof is incontrovertible: my son is a camper. And now I am at this crossroads: is my son a camper despiteof me, or because of me? Did I push Falcon on him too early? Was that new GameCube controller I gave him on his 6th birthday that only worked for Melee for him, or for me? Am I to blame for all of this?

No. All hail the Plup Club, my son can die in a ditch.

submitted by /u/freeCarpets
[link] [comments]

My little brother (age 6) says “look I beat it finally” and I looked at the time.

Posted: 19 Feb 2018 08:04 PM PST

Evo 2018 registration is now live on smash.gg! [Don't forget your Sunday tickets]

Posted: 19 Feb 2018 04:15 PM PST

Full Bloom 4 announces 24-hour venue!

Posted: 19 Feb 2018 08:14 AM PST

HIGH QUALITY GAMEPLAY || The Reads Episode 41 ft. HugS

Posted: 19 Feb 2018 12:04 PM PST

An Ode to ANTi (GRTr4sh)

Posted: 19 Feb 2018 05:08 AM PST

Super Smash Bros. 64 Perler Piece Finished!

Posted: 19 Feb 2018 06:47 PM PST

Smash History's Top 100 Melee Players of All-Time: #81-90

Posted: 19 Feb 2018 09:04 AM PST

Any Jordanians here?

Posted: 19 Feb 2018 07:00 PM PST

I've recently been getting into smash 4 only to find out that there are literally 0 tournaments in my entire fucking country. I did a bit of research and all I could find was a bit of information on a melee player called silver.

submitted by /u/Darfoz11
[link] [comments]

NorCal Arcadian #5 Trailer

Posted: 19 Feb 2018 03:01 PM PST

Canada's First Nationwide Smash 4 Top 25 PR Announced!

Posted: 19 Feb 2018 04:18 PM PST

Rate my rest

Posted: 19 Feb 2018 06:55 PM PST

Top 5 Prince Combo Contest Combos | Smash 64

Posted: 19 Feb 2018 07:19 AM PST

February Bayonetta Enjoyment Survey Results

Posted: 19 Feb 2018 12:28 PM PST

Hello everyone. Awhile back I created a survey to test out how people enjoy Bayonetta overall as a character. I unexpectedly got 1230 answers! Thank you for all who participated. These results come from r/smashbros, r/nintendo, r/WiiU, and Smashboards. DISCLAIMER: This poll will have a bias from recent events, but I wish to continue polling throughout the year if there is interest. The end of this post will be about future plans and feedback.


Part 1: Enjoyment of Viewership

The first pair of questions that were asked was about the enjoyment of watching Bayonetta.

Q1) Do you enjoy watching Bayonetta vs Bayonetta in Competitive Singles? (Tournaments) [1220/1230 Responded]

  • Yes = 20.4% (249)
  • Indifferent = 15.2% [186]
  • No = 64.3% [785]

Q2) Do you enjoy watching Bayonetta vs Other Characters in Competitive Singles? (Tournaments) [1219/1230]

  • Yes = 24.2% [295]
  • Indifferent = 13.4% [163]
  • No = 62.4% [761]

Interestingly enough, more people seem to be accepting of Bayonetta when she is fighting another character over when it is a ditto.


Part 2: Enjoyment Playing As Bayonetta The second pair of questions aims towards playing as Bayonetta both competitively and casually. I do think the first question in this pair should have been more specific to its target audience as it was intended to be people who main/second Bayo in a tournament.

Q3) Do you enjoy playing as Bayonetta in Competitive Singles? (Tournament Players Only) [1109/1230]

  • Yes = 14% [155]
  • Indifferent = 31.4% [348]
  • No = 54.6% [606]

Q4) Do you enjoy playing as Bayonetta in General? (Competitive and Causal) [1204/1230]

  • Yes = 27% [325]
  • Indifferent = 25.2% [304]
  • No = 47.8% [575]

I do think Question 3 is a bit invalid with how the question was worded with its intention being different.


Part 3: Enjoyment Playing Against Bayonetta

The last pair asks about the enjoyment of playing against Bayonetta both competitively and casually.

Q5) Do you enjoy playing against Bayonetta in Competitive Singles (Tournament Players Only) [1109/1230]

  • Yes = 12.4% [137]
  • Indifferent = 22.5% [249]
  • No = 65.2% [723]

Q6) Do you enjoy playing against Bayonetta in General? (Competitive and Casual) [1205/1230]

  • Yes = 19.4% [234]
  • Indifferent = 17.8% [214]
  • No = 62.8% [757]

Part 4: Feedback and Future Plans

I plan on expanding on /u/barnardsloop 's idea on expanding on this poll and posting it every first of the month. I plan on posting in these areas...

I am hoping to gain more data and a wider outreach from Reddit. I am also refraining from posting to r/Nintendo and r/WiiU as they aren't going to be too reliable for the competitive side of the survey.

So here is my feedback questions to all of you who see this.

  1. Would you be interested in a monthly poll?
  2. Are there any questions that I should add?
  3. Are there any other platforms I should reach out too?

Thank you for your participation.


Edit: A spreadsheet of all the answers if anyone is interested in that.

submitted by /u/freeziebeatz
[link] [comments]

Top 23 Pokemon Stadium Shenanigans #3 - Super Smash Bros - GRsmash

Posted: 19 Feb 2018 10:57 AM PST

What do you guys think the most respectable/least cheap character and playstyle is?

Posted: 19 Feb 2018 01:32 PM PST

I like playing luigi and falcon, and I don't think either of those characters ever really get hate. What other characters do you guys like to fight?

submitted by /u/actualrapscallion
[link] [comments]

Not directly related to smash bros, but thought this sub might find this interesting: the way a CRT works in slow motion

Posted: 19 Feb 2018 07:40 AM PST

Peach frame traps and tricks Pt2 Vs Diddy Kong.

Posted: 19 Feb 2018 07:49 PM PST

Here is Part 2 to this series. I will be showing how to deal with Diddy Kong options after you get a hit or a combo ends to keep the pressure on here. This is NOT a video on how to fight Diddy in general. I am using the training mod pack to demonstrate all these options and scenarios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuZEBrO-DB8

submitted by /u/DarkPch
[link] [comments]

What happened to Salty Suites or similar things?

Posted: 19 Feb 2018 09:55 PM PST

Axe with the Amazing Almost Recovery

Posted: 19 Feb 2018 04:39 PM PST

Mexican Power Ranking Top 40-31 (MXRv1 Part 2)

Posted: 19 Feb 2018 11:11 AM PST

The Virus in the Machine: An Interview with Drephen

Posted: 19 Feb 2018 02:31 PM PST

Bombsoldier at Mango Juice 1.5!!!

Posted: 19 Feb 2018 01:15 AM PST

Here's this week's Melee News! Enjoy.

Posted: 19 Feb 2018 08:16 AM PST

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.