True Gaming Did retro games "subtly teach the player" because of more substantial instruction manuals?


Did retro games "subtly teach the player" because of more substantial instruction manuals?

Posted: 23 Jan 2018 09:53 AM PST

I love retro games, especially 8-bit and 16-bit games; the pick-up-and-play charm, the lack of obtrusive stories, and the simple pixel art all contribute to experiences that seem to attract both old gaming veterans and new players alike.

As it turns out, a lot of people love retro games for letting the player into the thick of it without long, pointless-feeling tutorials. Much has been said about how several older games "teach" you about the mechanics of the games (example 1, example 2, example 3) without invasive, arbitrary tutorials.

However, retro games had something that seems to have all but died out by the 2010s, and that was the instruction manual. These booklets contained fairly detailed texts on how to play the game, what kinds of items to pick up, what kind of enemies you'll encounter, and some more advanced mechanics. Additionally, they also tended to contain character and lore information so that you'll be familiar with the game's world and the people in it beforehand.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something about how retro games were designed, but it seems to me that manuals actually allowed for these "subtle tutorials" in the first place because the text was in a physical place that you could read on your own time. If you wanted a good deal of information before getting into the game, then good! If you just wanted to jump into the deep end with all the surprise it entails, also good! For example, in Mega Man X, nothing in-game tells you how to wall jump, but the manual for MMX tells you in no uncertain terms how to do so.

Don't get me wrong, I know the reasons why manuals were largely done away with. One, it reduces the carbon footprint because of less paper usage. Two, devs have seemingly lost all faith that anyone reads the freaking manual. Which is sad, because I'm one of the only people I know who actually liked reading manuals.

Still, I can't help but think that the loss of faith in manuals has lead to the much-hated forced tutorials of several modern games. I feel that in-game tutorials could be less invasive to the experience if the manual was treated more as an optional yet accessible part of the experience as opposed to forcing tutorials into it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong and/or I'm misunderstanding how this all worked; I'm not sure how game design standards worked out back then.

submitted by /u/3rdOption
[link] [comments]

[Spoiler Heavy Discussion] Assassin's Creed

Posted: 23 Jan 2018 02:29 PM PST

Building on this post, I had no idea there were so many fans here so I wondered what the community thought of the "real" story of Assassin's Creed, from AC1 though to AC2: Revelations?

Both in terms of it's content, the overall theme of the plot from the modern day Rebels vs The Empire vibe to there being an actual race of ancient aliens (The Isu / Precursors) who had enslaved humanity on Earth the period between 6000 - 10,000+ years ago to build their technologically advanced cities (with a side possibility of humanity having just been grown by aliens), whose artifacts the Templars and Assassins search out to control their power, down to the ideological reasoning behind the fight, one faction seeks to bend the people to it's own will, the other to prevent widespread meddling in people's lives, letting them choose how they want to exist.

Even a particular game, setting, time period, character or mechanic that you liked, share it!

Did Syndicate's addition of the line launcher help or hinder? I thought it was super fun, but it did mean you had an instant skip to climbing up a building, I still climbed sometimes just for the fun of it though.

On the other hand the addition of the wrist bow really did make the game just jokingly easy, I'm very happy it's easy to get sucked into combat in Origins and that combat is hard (still can't beat an elephant, level 38 -_-), it gives off a very MGS5 feeling in my head.

What struck you as well done? Shoddy? Unity inside out head thread?

A particular character that was well created? Yes, we all know Ezio.

While I'm at it, Evie and Jacob Frye are the best video game duo since Donkey Kong and Jr, there I said it. They actually put a lot of thought into their characters and it really shows in a contiguous way that's very rare. Often I'll get into a cutscene in a game and go "that is not how this guy would have handled this situation" especially Conor in AC3 (I had no idea if he was supposed to be mad or sad or didn't care or all 3), but I enjoyed a lot more of the writing for Syndicate than I thought I would and the voice actors on the main cast are really top notch.

I think I can honestly say that AC was one of the first series whose story and pretense I actually bought into. With most games I don't really engage with the stories but it really captured me at a time when I needed to learn how to put another layer of self-awareness on the information I was getting and these days with "Social Media Manager" being an actual job and widespread accusations of government and foreign meddling in popular opinion on Facebook and other popular sites, all of which completely by chance happen to benefit a bunch of rich bastards in some way, the more strained the relationship becomes between real life factions in real life society all across the world, the more I see a parody of the social commentary the developers were making in AC come to life. Facebook is like the Apple of Eden and most of the world is staring right into it.

Thoughts?

submitted by /u/Riddla26
[link] [comments]

Fortnite Battle Royale Road To Victory! #2

Posted: 23 Jan 2018 03:55 PM PST

Sometimes I would like to be able to play Final Fantasy VI for the first time again, only in the present day, to truly discern whether it's actually any good or if I just view old Squaresoft JRPG's through rose tinted glasses.

Posted: 23 Jan 2018 03:46 PM PST

It doesn't really matter what title it is...FFIV-IX, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, etc....replaying any of the old Square JRPG's is still a joy for me when I'm presented with the opportunity. But do you think it's because we associate these old games with our childhoods? If Final Fantasy VI came out today, say as an indie game on Steam, would anyone like it?

submitted by /u/skylar34
[link] [comments]

Was the Nintendo GameCube a success or a failure?

Posted: 23 Jan 2018 03:38 PM PST

I'm trying to gather a consensus of the gaming community and I want to know whether people look back at the GameCube as a failure or success. I think there's an argument for both sides and I would love to know what everyone thinks.

Thanks!

submitted by /u/Natdude
[link] [comments]

Inconsistent art style vs consistent art style in games

Posted: 23 Jan 2018 01:08 PM PST

What I mean by this is by how well the character art matches with everything around them. I remember back when Playstation Allstars was released that several people criticized it for having a mishmash of art styles. Certain characters looked far more realistic and detailed than other characters for example. As well as the stage design didn't always correlate with the character models.

However Mario Odyssey comes out and several people praise it for this mishmash and having realistic worlds and detailed models as opposed to its more cartoony variant. They say it gives it a fresh feeling. Then there's something like Flashback, which alternates the art style from cutscene to cutscene.

How do you guys feel about this? Is there an appropriate time for a game to call for this inconsistency?

For me I don't mind too much how odyssey looks, but I will say it can be a bit jarring. I can't say I prefer it to how 3d world and Galaxy approached things.

submitted by /u/hyperknees91
[link] [comments]

Which game did everyone else think that was a mess that you liked?

Posted: 23 Jan 2018 12:34 PM PST

I personally loved Gears of War 2's multiplayer. On launch, it may have been the most broken multiplayer game ever released by a popular first-party AAA developer AND publisher. It was so glitchy and messy in general, that after someone made a humorous video documenting all the flaws, Epic games filed a cease and desist order and got the video scrubbed from the internet (temporarily). The game was undeniably super janky and frustrating but after around Title Update 4/5, it became a more consistent experience. I easily preferred it to 3 because the maps were less open, less power weapons, and less "noob cannons" like the sawed off or pre-patches retro.

One of my favorite games is also Deadly Premonition. I also preferred Call of Duty: Ghosts to every single one that came out after it.

submitted by /u/69Milfs
[link] [comments]

What are your thoughts on games where you can craft your own narratives or adventures through in-game mechanics, at the cost of a more fleshed-out traditional story?

Posted: 23 Jan 2018 11:43 AM PST

MGSV and BotW both choose to go more the route of exploring player freedom in both exploring the world and mixing and matching various mechanics offered to them to craft their own unique adventures.

To many, this take emphasis on the player creating their own story was incredibly enjoyable and deep enough to satisfy them for ~50+ hours without getting bored.

However, this new emphasis has seemed to come at the cost of a deeper and more complex story. Both MGSV and BotW's stories were heavily criticized for being too short and too weak, with the former being too big of a departure fro the franchise's well-known trend to have outlandish presentation in its story.

Do you think:

a) Creating one's own narrative must come at the cost of a longer, traditional story?

a.1) If not, do you think the balance struck will be even, or fall more to one side than the other? If so, which side - player-crafted narratives or traditional narratives?

b) If you believe a traditional narrative must come at the cost of player-crafted adventures, do you believe the two examples above set fulfilling enough groundwork for this new trend?

submitted by /u/JaceXAnders
[link] [comments]

WW2 games historical accuracy??

Posted: 23 Jan 2018 10:23 AM PST

On all the D-day missions, there are those big X shaped bronze things in the water near the beach and on the beach itself. Is this historically accurate? I might be missing something here but in the games, the only thing giving you cover was these things on the beach. I understand that they need to be there in the water near the shore to prevent ships from coming too close: that way soldiers would be forced to swim for a bit and the Germans could easily shoot them like fish in a barrel. So why did the Germans put these things on the actual beach, knowing that the allies could use it for cover once they reached land? Why didn't they just put them in the water, forcing the allies to swim, then have nothing on the beach so there would be no cover whatsoever and so they could just mow them down with their mounted machine guns like target practice?

submitted by /u/whatwasthatcat
[link] [comments]

Gaming inflation

Posted: 23 Jan 2018 11:44 AM PST

Even though all gamez today are generally $60 to purchase in all honesty, when all said and done the averahe player is probably buying $30-$40 of additional content. I think it safe to say the average game cost $100 nowadays. Thst way of thinking can really hrlp appriciate when a $60 game actually puts out

submitted by /u/A30Lu5_89
[link] [comments]

Most improved game of 2k17

Posted: 23 Jan 2018 12:24 PM PST

Thoughts anyone?

I think rainbow six siege, if you feel otherwise please share.

submitted by /u/A30Lu5_89
[link] [comments]

Despite the whole controversy about Konami and Kojima, Metal Gear Survive seems to be a pretty neat game

Posted: 23 Jan 2018 08:35 AM PST

I do not classify this as an MGS game because lore-wise, it does not fit with the MGS lore (MGS was always very bizarre and complicated but we never got any mention of zombies, except to some of the infected soldiers in MGS 5)

But as a survival game, it looks pretty neat

Whether I am going to play this, maybe I will wait for a discount.

Even though it has been three years, it is not fair that Konami gets to continue to make money off of the MGS franchise while Kojima does not receive a piece of revenue after all the tension that happened a few years earlier

submitted by /u/sammyjamez
[link] [comments]

My back log is insane and it's destroying my ability to focus on one at a time.

Posted: 22 Jan 2018 10:32 PM PST

I've created a huge problem for myself, for some reason, I can't get into any of my games lately. I have too many and simply can't decide on one (with the exception in the last couple months of ACO, which I was highly anticipating.) I'm going to include my full backlog of games I either haven't finished but know I should enjoy, as well as those I've barely touched. This list might not be as long as others but it's crippled my ability to enjoy the things I love. So, here's what would help me; if you see a game here or more that you've personally played and loved, please tell me why and what you enjoyed about it or them. Full Disclaimer: I'm primarily a single player game guy, so if you're really big on competitive multiplayer games you may not find much in here, but I'll take any input I can. So, without further ado, the list! (No particular order)

  • Trine Trilogy

  • Uncanny Valley

  • Mirrors Edge Catalyst

  • Jotun

  • Sonic Forces

  • Yakuza Kiwami

  • Stories: The Path of Destinies

  • Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition

  • Thief (new ps4)

  • Murdered: Soul Suspect

  • Red Faction 2

  • Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary

  • forma.8

  • Kung Fu Panda: The Bad Smash Clone

  • Middle Earth: Shadow of War

  • Agents of Mayhem

  • Bound

  • Worms: Battlegrounds

  • Lego Worlds

  • Amnesia Collection

  • Until Dawn

  • Just Cause 3

  • LittleBigPlanet 3

  • Valiant Hearts: The Great War

  • Grow Home

  • Lara Croft and The Temple of Osiris

  • Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zero

  • Rebel Galaxy

  • Skulls of the Shogun

  • Furi

  • Gone Home: Console Edition

  • Super Time Force Ultra

  • Dead Star

  • This War of Mine: The Little Ones

  • Strike Vector Ex

  • Table Top Racing: World Tour

  • Broforce

  • Not a Hero

  • Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty

  • Lords of The Fallen

  • Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones

  • Switch Galaxy Ultra

  • Teslagrad

  • Tearaway Unfolded

  • Drawn to Death

  • Magicka 2

  • Ys Origin

  • Dishonored: Death of The Outsider

  • The Long Dark

  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

  • Hitman Complete

  • The Technomancer

  • WonderBoy: The Dragons Trap

  • EVE: Valkyrie

  • Typoman

  • Titanfall 2

  • Stardew Valley

  • NieR: Automata

  • Sword Art Online: Lost Song

  • Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition

  • Day of The Tentacle: Remastered

  • Armikrog

  • Bedlam

  • Dark Cloud 2

  • The Order: 1886

  • Don't Starve: Console Edition

  • The Legend of Korra

  • Gravity Rush: Remastered

  • King's Quest

  • Zombi

  • Batman: Arkham Knight (all dlc)

  • The Last Tinker

  • Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China

  • The Amazing Spider-Man 2

  • Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition

  • Wolfenstein: The New Order + The Old Blood

  • Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

  • Home

  • Game of Thrones Tell Tale

  • Terraria

  • Warframe

  • Killzone: Shadow fall

  • Night In The Woods

  • Elex

  • DOOM

  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

So that's it, that's my backlog at the moment. Please help, friends QQ.

submitted by /u/Eludaril
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.