True Gaming Starting to feel like most AAA games are the same game.


Starting to feel like most AAA games are the same game.

Posted: 15 Dec 2017 08:17 PM PST

Giant open world. Progression crafting system. Tons of markers on the map for tracking every minute thing. Collectibles, reagents, sidequests, main quests, special events, etc.

The Witcher, FFXV, Horizon Zero Dawn, every new AAA game I seem to pickup is just some variation of the same thing. All these games with 'theme park' type areas. Get to a new town/settlement; there's 10 NPCs handing out quests to go do 10 mundane things, and then the token 'main story' NPC.

submitted by /u/kojitsuke
[link] [comments]

How Big Is Too Big In Open World Maps?

Posted: 16 Dec 2017 06:50 AM PST

I remember playing FFX for the first time and although it's quite a linear experience, the game has many sections throughout the world that can be explored and revisited and I always thought that it was massive (the Calm Lands) and very cool.

Bethesda taught me what a real open world game is all about with a large map, hundreds of tangible items, dialogue choices and NPCs that offered side quests in Fallout 3 and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I truly fell in love with these games and their settings. Ever since then it feels like developers continually try to outdo themselves and others and promote their game as "the biggest open world we have ever created."

I recently played Assassins Creed Origins and that honestly had me in disbelief, the world is huge! And now I'm hearing that Far Cry 5 is equally as big from people in the industry with early hands-on game time. My question is how big is too big? It's gotten to the point that when I open up a map and see an immense unexplored space I actually feel dread. The amount of time it will take to traverse it all and see everything I want to see takes a real time commitment and for me, works against the game and takes away a little bit of enjoyment. I want to feel like I am actually making progress when exploring and it's daunting after spending hours in a single area can look insignificant when zoomed out.

I wanted to find out if others feel this way. What games do you think nailed the size and scope of an open world map? And what in-game activities provide the best open world experience and gives life to this type of game?

submitted by /u/Tekhartha_Zenyatta01
[link] [comments]

When does a skill system that progesses based on repetition ever work?

Posted: 16 Dec 2017 02:13 PM PST

To be more specific in case my title didn't make it clear (not sure the exact term for these kind of systems), but essentially these are games where the progression of your characters abilities lies on the repeated use of those particular skills. Say in an Elder Scrolls game, if you want your 1 handed blade skill to go up, you accomplish this by attacking with a 1 handed blade over and over again.

The thing about it is, what is the advantage of using this kind of system over one where you just gain normal experience and distributing it on skills you want your character to be good in. The main defense I see is it's immersion breaking because you can make a character who has never swung a sword be a master swordsman or something along those lines. The problem is it's just not interesting to level up skills in these ways. It encourages repetition beyond normal repetition in rpgs which just serves to make an unfun game (personal opinion of course, but one I'll stand by). So you'll get stupid things like people just healing themselves over and over in Oblivion or something along those lines.

The only way I can see it working is in a game where the enemies are both limited and do not respawn on death. So for example, RogueLikes, Fire Emblem (older entries and Conquest), Breath of Fire V could've all used this system. That way you had to actually plan on which skills you were going to use and level up within each battle, and it would put a little more weight on those choices. But for a normal rpg I think these systems should be refrained personally.

submitted by /u/hyperknees91
[link] [comments]

After playing SMO, Jak & Daxter TPL, and Shovel Knight all back to back, I want more charming and difficult platformers

Posted: 15 Dec 2017 06:15 PM PST

Now, I know what you're thinking- those aren't that difficult. Maybe I'm fucking bad at platformers, but All three of them had me frustrated (in a good way).

What do you guys think? Is the market dead? Do we just need more developers to take the chance on them?

I haven't played A Hat in Time. Thoughts?

Give me some other platformers in the same vein as the three I listed?

submitted by /u/Americanzi0216
[link] [comments]

Why is Resident Evil 1 seen as a classic?

Posted: 16 Dec 2017 02:55 PM PST

A lot of people say Resident Evil 1 is a classic, one of the best games ever made. They love it for its atmosphere and gameplay. So when I noticed that I owned the Remastered version of it on Steam (kinda forgot I got it from a Humble Bundle), I immediately started playing. After about 6 hours of playing it, I quit the game and don't intend on starting it up again.
I don't wanna sound like an ass (even though the title of this post is kinda awful, sorry about that), but I genuinely don't get why people praise the game as much as they do. The camera system with its multiple angle seemed like a nice idea at the beginning of the game, but quickly became tedious and annoying. A lot of the gameplay involves running from a storage crate to a room with a puzzle because you didn't have the one item you need to solve it with you, when you first found the puzzle. The survival aspect isn't really that prevalent, as healing items and ammo can be found quite often. And the inventory system is just the worst part of it all. The amount of backtracking you have to do because you found an important item, but can't take it with you because your inventory is full, is absurd.
Again, I don't want to sound like an asshole who just ignorantly rambles on about how bad this game is and how stupid every person, that actually likes it, is. There were some things that I actually enjoyed: The "random" moments/events in the game are just awesome! There were a few times, when I was walking through a hallway for the second or third time, when all of a sudden a nearby window broke and four zombies just marched in and all of a sudden, music set in. Those moments scared the shit out of me! The general contrast between silence and tension is incredibly well done. A lot of areas is the game do note feature music at all, while others feature eerie background music. This is especially prevalent, when you first enter a new part of the mansion. You see the animation of a door opening, creepy music starts playing and you hear the growl of a zombie, thats somewhere nearby.
With that being said, the gameplay is so awful that I feel like it absolutely overshadows the positive aspects of the game. Is it because I stopped playing after a few hours? Am I missing something here?
What do all of you think? Why do you enjoy the game (or not)? Because I've been listening to the save room music for the last 20 minutes (which is by far the best thing in the game) and just can't figure out, why this game is seen as a classic.

submitted by /u/Max_Phintias
[link] [comments]

They should make a hard game that you can't beat using memorization

Posted: 16 Dec 2017 11:59 AM PST

The standard way to beat hard games is to just play the same level over and over again until you have memorized it in order to beat it. To make this not possible the level should change randomly each time you play it. This would also have the effect of increasing the replay value of the game as well. Usually when randomness is added to games it is usually to much randomness like the case of procedurally generated games or not enough randomness like the case where the level is exactly the same every time you play it. A moderate amount of randomness could make things interesting too. Some games could even be remade (such as smb3) with a moderate amount of randomness added to each level. It's also possible this could make the game too hard so games with randomly changing levels may have to be made easier. Just so you know I got this idea from the first try or skip (fan created mode) in mario maker. People sometimes did this challenge in expert 100 man but considered it too difficult for super expert

submitted by /u/182637777
[link] [comments]

Is there a legal reason Chivalry has no LaserSword mod servers?

Posted: 16 Dec 2017 10:44 AM PST

I logged onto Chivalry: Medieval Warfare for the 1st time in a while and I wanted to play the LaserSword mod but there are no servers online. Is this just bad luck or did our favorite monopoly do a cease and desist order? I'm a bit concerned b/c that is my favorite part of Chivalry and I expected with the new movie coming out this weekend the servers would have been packed.

submitted by /u/Zamzee
[link] [comments]

What are your favorite skill trees?

Posted: 15 Dec 2017 04:07 PM PST

During a discussion with a friend, I've realized I've never fallen in love in a specific game's skill tree (or general RPG elements for that matter). Declaring a specific skill tree as 'perfect' or the best is subjective, stemming from people's varying opinions on certain aspects. Are you okay with skill trees that allow you to obtain all the skills (or almost all of them) like Wolfenstein? Do you like Wolfenstein's way of acquiring those skills, or do you prefer skill points, or continuous usage like in Skyrim? Personally, I strongly dislike Skyrim's skill tree, because I think it doesn't reward people for getting out of their comfort zone and being creative and versatile. Sure, total mastery can be achieved but it's a total grind, which I'm also not a fan of. Even in games meant to be played for long, I don't like doing chores. Another one I'm not highly fond of, dispite being a big fan of the game, is The Witcher 3. It lacks depth and freedom, IMO. TW3 is one of my favorite RPGs while lacking in some of the core RPG elements, and I find it funny My favorite ones are probably Diablo 3 and Bastion. Yeah, Bastion; looking at all of its game mechanics as a whole. From the armory and the individual customization (and the way you acquire the upgrades) to the distillery, to the shrine that increases the difficulty creatively, and not just with numbers.

submitted by /u/Acesii
[link] [comments]

Archon Interactive is heading in a new direction and could use some input

Posted: 14 Dec 2017 09:31 AM PST

Hi there,

I'm a programmer Archon Interactive, a small indie company from Denmark.

We've made different kinds of games in the past, both mobile and PC/console titles, our most recent being Rocket Wars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpFCEKTSA4g.

However, we are reaching a point where we want to settle on a more specific genre of games to create.

But to be able to make the best games possible, we're gonna need some input from you, the players!

We've made a small survey that we would like you guys to fill out, which would help us out tremendously and would give us and our future games a better sense of direction.

Link to the survey: https://da.surveymonkey.com/r/FQHPVLT

And thanks to the mods for letting me post this here!

submitted by /u/UmbraaFidelis
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.