True Gaming 62% of games in Early Access when it started in 2013 are still there or are abandoned - What has changed about Early Access games since then?


62% of games in Early Access when it started in 2013 are still there or are abandoned - What has changed about Early Access games since then?

Posted: 12 Dec 2017 05:43 AM PST

TL;DR: Has anything changed about Early Access games themselves, how gamers receive them (mainstream, reddit, or otherwise), or how developers approach making them since Valve started Early Access on March 20th, 2013? Whether change or stagnation in stats, reviews, sentiment, perception, or something else - I figure its all worth discussing.

/u/Six_Foot_Turkey_64 recently shared some considerable research on the 37 of the games he could find that started in Steam's Early Access during its inaugural year of 2013, when the program first started.

Some stats:

38% (14/37) have left Early Access, in a polished, finished state, or not. Of those:

  • 75% (8/12) of the games to enter Early Access March 20th, the first day possible, have since had a proper release.

  • 24% (6/25) of the games to enter Early Access in the remainder of 2013 have since had a proper release.

22% (8/37) were abandoned or otherwise had their development postponed indefinitely.

40% (15/37) are still in Early Access, with or without release in sight.

The oldest game still unfinished has been in Early Access for 4 years, 8 months, 22 days.

/u/Roxolan also ran the numbers on review stats:

Overwhelmingly Positive: 5 (12.5%)

Very Positive: 12 (30%)

Mostly Positive: 4 (10%)

Mixed: 8 (20%)

Mostly Negative: 4 (10%)

Very Negative: 1 (2.5%)

Overwhelmingly Negative: 1 (2.5%)

N/A: 5 (12.5%)

Or, to put it in human-readable terms:

  • Successes: 21 (52.5%)

  • Failures: 19 (47.5%)

submitted by /u/Renegade_Meister
[link] [comments]

Games that stand the test of time?

Posted: 12 Dec 2017 05:01 AM PST

Making this post with two questions in mind.

First, what aspects of a game allow it to be played years later without losing what made it fun when it was released?

Second, which specific games can still be revisited without being propped up by nostalgic value? Which iconic games can't?

From what I can tell, SNES (and other consoles from this time) games in general are able to hold their own due to being at the tail end of the "2D era". Upon replaying games from the N64, and PS1, there are select few that don't suffer from the ready comparison to modern video games. Bad cameras, ugly aesthetics, and limited controls contribute to this Seinfeld Effect.

submitted by /u/hotlocalsingleinarea
[link] [comments]

Could the huge success of the Switch lead to multiplatform games scaling down their features to cater for it?

Posted: 12 Dec 2017 09:59 AM PST

I'm not trying to bash on the Switch, it looks like a great console. Just thinking out loud about the implications of its incredible success so far.

I imagine a lot of multiplat AAA devs are looking at the Switch and wanting to get in on that considering how well it's selling. What does that mean for future multiplatform games in terms of features?

PS4 and Xbox 1 are fairly similar in terms of performance so any game that works on one will work just about as well on the other. PC is more capable but very few developers take extra steps to make use of the extra hardware beyond framerate and resolution because they can't leave consoles behind.

But with the Switch now there is a much wider gulf. It's not awful by any means but it's very clearly inferior to the PS4 and Xbox 1 in terms of performance, and I have to wonder how that might affect the development of games that want to work on it in the future. Beyond just graphics, will we see devs scaling down things like the number of characters on screen at once, complicated AI routines or game systems, and things like that?

submitted by /u/arenob
[link] [comments]

To fans of Mario & Zelda - are recurring characters/themes a positive or negative?

Posted: 12 Dec 2017 09:49 AM PST

Disclaimer: the last Mario I played was SM3 on the NES back when it was released. I've never played a Zelda.

Although these are famously good and beloved games, I've always been put off from trying them because I don't like the idea that they keep using the same characters and plot themes. As a contrast, although I'm not particularly a fan of Final Fantasy, I do respect that they pretty much reboot everything with each sequel (even if the plot is still formulaically similar each time.)

For the fans of these series, is the fact that it's (almost) always Mario saving Princess Peach from Bowser, or Link saving Zelda from Ganon, a positive thing? Or is it just something you tolerate in order to enjoy the wonderful gameplay?

Would you be happier if these series changed its characters, plots and settings more, like Nintendo's other tentpole franchise, Fire Emblem?

submitted by /u/zeddyzed
[link] [comments]

Story-tutorial integration done well

Posted: 12 Dec 2017 10:41 AM PST

Story and tutorial integration can be a double-edged sword. On one hand, it can feel like you're in the shoes of the player character because it feels like you're learning along with him/her. On the other hand, either it's unskippable, or if you do skip it, you miss out vital details to understanding the plot or the characters.

That said, I feel that a good execution of a story-integrated tutorial is in The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, a spinoff of the Mega Man Legends series. For a look, here's ClementJ64's LP of said section.

As you can see, you're not playing as Tron, but her elder brother Teisel. In the story, it's established that Teisel is fairly new to piloting his sister's mecha, the Gustaff, so he has to recite some of the controls to himself so he can pilot it more effectively. At one point, he actually contacts Tron to give him instructions. After the tutorial is done, you're playing as Tron through the rest of the game, and thankfully, she almost never has to explain anything to herself since she's her family's mechanic and ace pilot.

The best part is that the tutorial doesn't drag too long. Unlike, say, Zelda: Twilight Princess, the whole plot is established in about 10-15 minutes, and we have key understanding behind the characters in that time. It's clear that the Bonnes are a bunch of greedy bandits, but have a strong familial bond. It's clear that Tron really wants to rescue her brother from Lex Loath. It's clear that Tron will engage in her usual unsavory antics to do so. The tutorial was utilized as a way to get the player into both the gameplay and the characters, and it does so quite well.

Are there any other games that integrate tutorials into the story well? I'd really like to know.

submitted by /u/3rdOption
[link] [comments]

I get motion sick/nauseous from 3D Games, but only sometimes???

Posted: 12 Dec 2017 05:17 AM PST

It's been this way for me for quite a while, and I've never really gotten an answer as to why.

Like even when I was younger, and I played minecraft, sometimes I could play for hours and hours straight and not feel a thing. Other times, I play for like 30 minutes, and get so sick I think I might throw up.

It didn't bother me too much, because it was just occasionally. Like I played portal 2 for about 4 hours straight, with no effects. Then a few days later, I tried playing for like 20 minutes, and I had to stop. Same with Garry's Mod. I played for a few hours straight for like a few days. Then I couldn't play for over an hour without feeling nauseous.

I don't really play those games, so it wasn't a huge concern. But now, it's happening with PUBG, which is third person. I've played PUBG for like 8 hours straight in a row without anything. There's the occasional feeling of motion sickness, but it went away pretty quickly. But just now, on the test servers, I played one match, and I had to stop because I felt so sick. Like, just thinking about it right now is making me a bit sick. I don't know what it is. Sometimes, I just see the game in a certain perspective or something, and that perspective makes me sick, and I can't unsee it. Does anyone else get this? How do I Fix this?????

submitted by /u/ssjxethez
[link] [comments]

It kind of makes me sad!!!

Posted: 12 Dec 2017 11:10 AM PST

Please don't hate me for this but it makes me sad as a gamer. But people have there choices and they are right to buy what they love but.

I know this games are completely different but games like PUBG and ARK Survival has millions of buyers compared to Wolfiesntien, Prey and Resident Evil 7.

Even though PUGB and Ark Survival are an early access game compared to others which are best at there genre.

I think I expect too much from PC community where main buyers are multiplayer gamer, I know I don't have proper statistics but many PC gamers love adrenaline rush multiplayer games compared to Single linear games.

But I wished this games deserved there chance and developers get there motivation because this games are fucking awesome.

submitted by /u/piyushr21
[link] [comments]

Is it too late at 21 to get into FPS?

Posted: 12 Dec 2017 12:32 AM PST

Hello, I just wanted to ask a question: recently I've been getting into FPS multiplayers and I was wondering if at this age it would be even worth it to start playing them since everyone has already years of experience. I play on console but was thinking of switching to pc and start taking this more seriously. Would it be worth it at this point?

EDIT: sorry but if you have something to say please reply to my post instead of downvoting. I'm just asking a question here.

submitted by /u/throwawaygamingg
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.