True Gaming Maybe its time we move away from progression in PVP shooters.


Maybe its time we move away from progression in PVP shooters.

Posted: 19 Nov 2017 12:11 PM PST

To be honest, I've always been against it since I was first introduced to it. I think COD4 was the first game with it that I sunk time into.

I preferred the less customized class choice approach in earlier CODs (and MOHAA and other games). We don't have to go that far back. We can still have custom loadouts imo, but the whole progression in pvp has gotten out of hand.

  1. First, it doesn't belong. PVP games should be an even playing field. Not "award those who play the most" Unlocks and progression should be tied to character and story development. Not found in pvp shooters.
  2. When games do have them, they're not even balanced anymore. If EA Battlefront (1) was a free2play game people would be like "what the hell? My starting loadout is weak. I don't even have grenades. Nevermind sniper rifles or jet packs that offer huge advantages.
    • Now we've moved one step further into, loot crates/buying progression
  3. Head over to hear what the COD:WWII community, its a huge list of "I'm not getting enough points for kills in <game mode>"
    • Why does that even matter? I don't know what happened to just playing a game for the sake of the gameplay. It actually forces developers to improve their games.
  4. Even as a Battlefield fan, I love what BF4 became in its life, but holy hell do I hate the idea of hundreds of different guns to unlock to try out, and then unlock the attachments. And the community saying "Increase max rank! I got to max rank and stop playing" Why does that drive you? Its not even the slightest thought in the back of my head when I'm playing. I don't get it.
  5. There must be something psychologically exploitative about it. These types of games, become about the unlocks and progression... and when its over, it has players asking the developers to add more stuff they can buy... make a new game they can buy to start all over again. And that is in a big way how we got to where we are now.
  6. We look at some of the most popular, strongest, growing communities on PC..

    • CSGO
    • Overwatch
    • PUBG

    No progression or unlocks in site. (Yes they have loot crates and people are against them, but they are strictly cosmetic only. But this isn't really about that use) These games are heavily carried by their gameplay, and communities.

Probably not going to please everybody... A lot of people do play these shooters for the progression. To me, I feel like they need to be shown a different way.. i.e. Did they play shooters before that progression was a thing? That's a time when I enjoyed them the most and put in the most hours personally.

Or the games need to change. It would make sense to me, if one of these guys, whether its EA/Star Wars, COD, Battlefield... tried a Destiny/MMO approach. Instead of single player, do a COOP looter shooter.. There you can put your ranks/progression. But once you head into the pvp battle, put that aside and even the playing field. (Not perfect though, people like to use their own stuff in pvp as well. Just thinking out loud really)

submitted by /u/BeerGogglesFTW
[link] [comments]

Does anyone get overwhelmed by role playing games?

Posted: 19 Nov 2017 01:14 AM PST

I had been away from gaming from 2010 till Q4 of 2016, that was the time when my urge to play video games was rekindled with Bloodborne. Since then I have played and enjoyed quite a few titles but I don't think my love for gaming is as strong as it was before. While I do enjoy breathtaking graphics but I feel modern game mechanics/attributes are much complicated for me.

This happens to me when I try to play RPGs and ironically many modern days RPGs feel most attractive to me. I am currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn, the gameplay feels nice but all these exp. point allocation in skill/stat tree, getting to know the traits/usefulness of different weapons/items and stuffs seem bit overwhelming to me. I had the same problem in the beginning of playing Bloodborne and I literally had to to seek help online to learn how does the character stat allocation work in that game.

I feel like searching online to learn different stuffs instead of figuring out everything by myself kind of reduces the fun. I am sure there are people who figure out everything by their own and I have no idea how do they grasp most of the stuffs in such a short period of time.

I know the games that I liked playing in the old days are not considered as real RPG in modern context but I want to enjoy playing modern RPGs without being overwhelmed by the complexity of different attributes of these games. Is it even possible or am I just an imbecile trying to get hold of modern games?

submitted by /u/Football_Enthusiast
[link] [comments]

Some thoughts on the talk of studio buyouts

Posted: 19 Nov 2017 01:57 PM PST

I was thinking the other day that if this kinda thing happened in Hollywood, no one would really care as much/notice. I for one don't pay too much attention to 2 hour long unskipable cutscenes (movies,) but people tend to drawn more to movies by their favorite actor, director, author, etc. When a studio is purchased they get rights to franchises, settings, characters, story, but don't necessarily get exclusive access to things that should actually matter to us. Those things being game mechanics and talent. So the idea is this, what if we paid less attention to the logos and brands at the start of the game and more to the credits and support the people that actually make these games happen.

Not to suggest that I'm an expert on economic policies or Hollywood. Ironically, I even tend to ignore AAA publisher because of their attempt to "Hollywoodify" the gaming industry so I'm not really an expert of that even. I don't even personally read the credits, but I was wondering if anyone else thought it would be a good idea to expand our list of people actually known to make good games to include more than like Miyamoto and a few other guys. Maybe remember how excited every one got when we heard that kickstarter was making spiritual successors to Mega Man, Banjo Kazooie, and Castlevania. Even though the first two let a lot of people down, maybe that was a good thing that we weren't really concerned that it wasn't going to include the same characters and story, but had the mechanics, humor, music, art direction, and all the other reasons we play games and don't just go to the movies.

submitted by /u/JungleLoveChild
[link] [comments]

My dad played Myst and so did yours

Posted: 19 Nov 2017 01:47 PM PST

One of my most vivid childhood memories involves watching my dad play Myst. I wrote a brief essay about that experience, and how the game itself offers some interesting commentary on fathers and sons. Wondering if anyone else remembers their first exposure to that iconic series. Any thoughts and feedback on the piece are most welcome!

Link: https://artplusmarketing.com/wasps-in-the-myst-9e492376246c

submitted by /u/ObscureLiqueur
[link] [comments]

Why did developers feel it necessary to add so much voice acting with advent of consoles using DVDs (other than they could)? Why is all the (English) VA so terrible? Were they not aware, or did they simply not care?

Posted: 18 Nov 2017 04:33 PM PST

I decided to download Star Ocean Till the End of Time, and wow. The VA is bad, really bad. You can skip it/turn it off, but you have to wait for their awful animations to finish before you can go on to the next bit of text anyway. Final Fantasy X has so much bad VA. They really took advantage of larger storage size of the DVD to provide VA and animation for the most inane interactions possible. Did no one at any point notice that this stuff was generally annoying and terrible?

Why is it that the English VA is so awful. Where the option is given I will always pick the Japanese voice option. I don't know if it is actually better, but it sounds far less grating to my ears. I am not sure why. However, it seems like not all English VA from this time period, or even earlier, is entirely bad. Metal Gear Solid is fairly dialog heavy and I would say it has very good VA. I was saddened when Kiefer Sutherland replaced David Hayter as Snake. Xenosaga Episode 1, despite having way too many cutscenes, actually had a fairly decent dub (at least in my memory). I am fairly sure that there were veteran voice actors who had worked on dubs of anime before among the cast.

The DVD certainly made storing lots of recorded dialog feasible. The largest games of the previous console generation could now be contained on a single disc with room to spare. I feel like the desire to take advantage of this fact was the driving force behind adding all that VA. However, that doesn't really explain why at least the English stuff is bad.

submitted by /u/Zerimas
[link] [comments]

Amidst all of these free to pay scandals, can we just appreciate the fact that the official Stranger Things game is completely free?

Posted: 19 Nov 2017 03:19 PM PST

I have gotten quite a ways in without seeing any ads or microtransactions. This is one of the few games I would gladly pay 10 bucks for

submitted by /u/dinosaurfacedude
[link] [comments]

Why am I so bad at games

Posted: 18 Nov 2017 04:23 PM PST

I preloaded Mario Odyssey and I love it however it's very frustrating how bad I am at it. I'm posting on a throwaway because this is so embarrassing. I just hit 500 moons and I am completely incapable of taking on the darker side of the moon I couldn't even get past part 3 of The Dark Side of the Moon. And that is with being aware of the ability to heal back at the Odyssey. There are so many moons that I can't get for example the long 8-bit section in the Mushroom Kingdom. I am completely incapable at doing the RC car challenge I can't even get under 2 minutes and everybody else on my friends list has gotten it in around 20 seconds. And that is with a lot of practicing that I just can't get the controls i dont know why I am pretty bad at video games but it's very annoying and frustrating that I love this game so much hang as I am unable to complete some of the hardest challenges because of how bad I am at it. What should I do to get better especially for the RC car controls. I'm not very good at the races but some of them are fun and I did manage to get good times on some of them but the one in the seaside Kingdom I only managed to get the regular cup after a lot of tries the master cup made me have a complete breakdown I have basically nothing else in my life except for video games and I have a few issues so whenever I can't complete a challenge and the video game I get unnecessarily upset. Also this post looks odd cause I made it with voice recognition and didn't bother to edit it much

submitted by /u/AttritionalVampirism
[link] [comments]

How come no video game award has gotten as big as the Oscars, Emmys, or Grammys, where it is "the" award of the industry to get?

Posted: 18 Nov 2017 05:30 PM PST

I got to thinking about it. With multiple 100s of GOTY awards given out every year there's no single big award that has become the indicator or "the best". Why is this? Why can no award gain enough traction to be the top one?

submitted by /u/gamedev368
[link] [comments]

We are in the 80s of video games.

Posted: 19 Nov 2017 05:51 AM PST

one day in the future, we will look back upon the period of mass produced linear shooters and cringe. i wasnt alive in the 80s (born in 1999) but from what i hear and see, in the 80s there was lots of shooter action films and stuff taking advantage of new technology for the time that really doesnt age well. i reckon that in the future games will evolve to play with reality and rules. i for one, an so bored of just dumb shooting games. i only play them because im bored and am too lazy to commit to a slightly harder form of fulfilment. even then i only play multiplayer games such as overwatch and cs go, single player violent games dont interest me anymore. this includes the witcher 3, which i believe is majorly held back by its lazy story. tbh, in the future, i believe there will he a paradigm shift in video game design, maybe ill have to be the one which starts it, but i dont think that the same classic "video game gameplay mechanics" will hold future humans intellectual attention in the same way that movies have evolved to become more intellectually in depth to increasingly challenge an audience. when i say "classic video game gameplay mechanics" what i mean is how todays games mostly revolve around shooting shit and doing shit. my favourite game right now is the beginners guide, a short 1.5 hour accessible experience that i view as only the beginning of what games could be. it takes advantage of how games can place you in any world and jeez, the fast loading times everrything just entertains you non stop for 1.5 hours, on an intellectual level aswell. like i fucking hate how stories in games atm are so fucking lazy, nothing really challenges the player, its more about just finding a way to say "hey look how good you are player! you get to fulfil your fantasy! youre the best!" but you can't take anything away from the game and learn from it in the way that you can watch oliver twist and learn from the characters or the film moonlight which provides insight into new perspectives in a real life context, or musical albums such as to pimp a butterfly, which is like an hour long learning marathon. i guess if i can summarise this ramble, its frustrating being alive right now because games have so much unexplored potential and are just so fucking lazy as an art form, and i know that in the future theyre going to be so sick but thats ages away and i might be dead.

submitted by /u/patrick_pencilpusher
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.