True Gaming Now that the 3DS era is slowly coming to an end what do you think about the Dual Screen?


Now that the 3DS era is slowly coming to an end what do you think about the Dual Screen?

Posted: 11 Apr 2018 03:31 AM PDT

I know there are still many titles in the pipeline for that system and nintendo stated thay they will further support the handheld into 2019, but still it's conceiveable that in the near future the 3DS will be fully replaced by the Nintendo Switch and there is no succesor to close the gap. All in all the Nintendo Switch is already a home console and a handeld in one, so you can assume that it makes sense.

Well, but there still will be a loss for the future game industry:

The end of the 3DS will be the end of the dual screen. At the moment, no other plattform supports any kind of dual screen or something similiar, so it looks like this (for the condidtions of the days) unique concept will ultimately face its demise.

  • So I wanna ask you, did you ever appreciated the idea of the dual screen?

It's important to mention, that two different screens at the same time mainly served the purpose to seperate the interactive touch screen, from the actual display screen of the game. Sometimes the touch screen was an extension for the display screen and sometimes the actual happening of the game was completely on the touch screen.

Well, that highlights one of the greatest advantages of the dual screen in my opinion: the high flexibility to project informations to the player. In combination of the the touch screen there was high potential for many unique ways to depict the actual process and controls of the game.

Some known franchise were able to utilise the features of the touchscreen to give their games a fresh new interesting twist, Some of them improved the handling of their UI with the advantage to outsource the menue to an seperate screen, where it's not even necessary to pause the game for.

The Zelda games and remakes on DS/3DS are good examples for both cases.

Also there are franchises where the Dual Screen was the main inspiration and the reason for their entire existence: The Etrian Odyssey series at example.

Shortly they announced their last game for the system, after that one of the main selling points of the game will no longer be possible. The use of the Touchscreen to navigate through an huge labyrinth and drawing your own map. It's an high appealing feature which defines one of the biggest strenghts of the game and a good example for a game where the experience would suffer from the lack of a second screen.

Regarding touch: One thing I criticise on common system like the Playstation Vita or the Nintendo Switch is that the screens aren't haptic enough, they weren't designed to draw on a stylus, also my own hand covers to much of the screen while i'm drawing/touching, as long the game happening and the touch screen are on the same screen.

So yeah all in all I think the Dual Screen was an innovative, smart idea which enforced touch screens to videogames more than any other system at the time did- and even today does. As such I'm not happy at all about the downfall of the 3DS system, because in it's current state, the Nintendo Switch has no replacement for the Dual Screen. So games like Etrian Odyssey are forced to change if they get continued on the Nintendo Switch.

I truly believe the Dual Screen was an enhancement to handhelds as concept overall, as such it looks more like the Nintendo Switch does a step backwards in that regard.

submitted by /u/Klunky2
[link] [comments]

Is there an effective way to recreate the feeling I first had as a kid when experiencing a mind-blowing game genre for the first time?

Posted: 11 Apr 2018 08:19 AM PDT

When I was a kid, I recall playing MapleStory for the first time and it blowing me away. The simple Jump and Attack and 2D sidescrolling moments with the equipment excited me, and it was such a pleasure to learn such a game was playable. It was addicting and fun, and some of my fondest gaming memories were of it

But there haven't been as many moments afterward that wowed and captured my imagination the same. For example, the first time I played Super Mario 64, I was excited and giddy. Super Mario Sunshine was much less new and exciting to me because I'd already been exposed to 3D, colorful cartoon platform gaming. Ditto for later Mario's up to Odyssey.

That made me wonder - is there any way for an adult like me to recreate those first experiences? I've tried nostalgia by replaying these older things, but the novelty has work off. I've tried finding the best new and great games that everyone says are Must Plays, but even though I really liked stuff like Breath of the Wild and can understand why people called it the most recent Game of the Year, it still didn't "wow" and capture my imagination for the first time like MapleStory for example did (and this is in spite of BotW being in my Top 9 but MS is not)

I partly think I need to either forget my memories of those first games (impossible) OR do a new medium. For example, learning board games had been illuminating and tactilely stimulating unlike games. But I've played over 400 according to Boardgamegeek and feel the novelty has work off from that too despite still enjoying Dominion, Power Grid, Dungeons and Dragons RPG etc. The only other media I can think of close to gaming to try is VR for the first time, but I suspect I wouldn't be blown away after the first few plays. Is there any way to consistently relive those beginning sense of discoveries, wonder, and "wow" factor from my nostalgic and first time memories of gaming a new, fresh game/genre?

submitted by /u/AnokataX
[link] [comments]

Online Trading Card Games and Addiction

Posted: 11 Apr 2018 08:05 AM PDT

I want to make this brief, for the last ~4 years I've been heavily addicted to TCGs. Namely Hearthstone, Gwent & Star Realms have been my poisons of choice.

It started with HS but as the skill ceiling was diluted with the addition of heavy RNG based cards and a high cost to play I drifted from that to Star Realms and then picked up Gwent. I am seemingly able to rack up huge play times in these games and always able to battle it out in the upper echelon on skill levels, grand master in gwent, legend in hearthstone and 60%ish+ win/loss ratio but I am always left unfulfilled and wanting more.

What's more is I enjoy playing multiplayer games with friends but these games promote lonely gaming and while that doens't seem to bother me I may as well be playing again AI for all I know, there isn't any human interaction at all, not even a chat box.

I am a big fan of strategic turn based games such as chess and enjoy complex decision making and planning ahead but I can't seem to stop playing these [children's] card games and I am wasting so much time and I wish that instead I'd start planning ahead in my own life and get meaningful shit done.

Just wondering if anyone had any similar experiences and could offer any advice on this weird road I am on.

submitted by /u/fenexj
[link] [comments]

"Only Play What You Want" Vs Instant Gratification

Posted: 11 Apr 2018 10:20 AM PDT

For me, it was right after I went down the rabbit hole of MMOs that I picked up the rallying cry echoed by many of us around here to "only play what you love" and "if you lose interest in a game, just stop playing it". I was really discouraged by the tactics used by game companies to get players hooked (unlockables, loot boxes, rankings, etc.) and continue to play their games for reasons other than intrinsically fun gameplay. I questioned the time I was sinking into some of those games and questioned why I was doing all this grinding and not even having any fun. That's not what any of this is about, right?

But lately, I've been catching myself using this rationale to basically excuse what is just instant gratification. If a game doesn't give me that instant "hit" I'm looking for, then I'm on to the next title. I've seen the comment frequently that "if a new game doesn't grab my attention in X amount of time, I un-install".

And I think that's really unfair. There's really something to be said for sticking with something through a rough passage, like a novel for example, and it becomes that much more rewarding when you get to the end. I remember slogging through all the Tom Bombadil songs in Fellowship of the Ring. Had I given up on the series then, I never would have had the mountaintop experience of seeing it through to the end.

So I've come to think that there's something to be said for sticking with a game for a bit before we completely write it off. What do you think?

submitted by /u/blockmagethegrey
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.