DayZ - Status Report - 27 March 2018


Status Report - 27 March 2018

Posted: 27 Mar 2018 12:21 PM PDT

An Open Letter to the DayZ Developer Team

Posted: 27 Mar 2018 08:20 PM PDT

/u/BatyAlquawen and the DayZ developer team,

I just wanted to write to express my appreciation for you and your efforts, as well as make some comments on what I hope to see from the game, from my personal standpoint.

I've played DayZ quite a bit, and I really have enjoyed it. I'm not a content creator, very active in the community, nor am I one of those people who has 8 000+ hours in the game. That said, I've spent a couple hundred hours having fun, and it's one of my favourite games to date.

I applaud and appreciate your ability to stand under all the community hate, insults, and comments. It must be stressful, when your life is devoted to this project and the community around it can only disparage you. In the most recent status reports, you even seem to be able to not only take it in stride but with humour, which is a very useful skill. Your ability to keep working hard at something you're passionate about is admirable. And I have no doubt you've been working hard – the status reports you provide, that you are absolutely not obligated to provide but are doing so to support the community even when it doesn't fully support you, have for the most part been very exciting and uplifting. I am very excited for the Beta and I know many others are as well.

I am not a game developer, save for a crappy platformer I programmed in high school. I don't know how long it takes, the amount of people required, the work that must be put in, or the other details about the game-making process. But I know you all work hard and put the effort in – it shows in your videos, your demos, your status reports, and so on.

Now, I'm not a "hardcore DayZ fanboy" as many "haters" might suggest. I don't actively play DayZ 25 hours a day or vehemently defend the game whenever it comes up. I haven't played in several months because I've been a) busy and b) waiting for more progress. It has, admittedly, not been as rapid as we'd like – not that that's necessarily a downfall on your part, but because you as a group are so open and transparent with the community, we can't help but sit here and want or expect more. That said, with the recent videos and demos, I've become more excited, and wanted to say a few words about my hopes for the game.

I know as well as you do what kind of game DayZ is. It isn't a COD first-person shooter, where you spawn, shoot a bunch, then die and repeat until the game ends and you move on to the next match. It isn't a Rust or PUBg clone. DayZ is, as the team describes, a "hardcore survival game." You spawn, fight to survive and for your loot, struggle as best you can to not fall prey to the infected, nature, or other players. A single character can survive for over 200 hours of playtime. My biggest fear as a player and observer of DayZ is that we lose these aspects and end up closer to COD. You've done a great job so far, but once beta / 1.0 comes out more content will surely be added, and I wanted to offer another perspective and my personal opinion on a few things.

To begin, I wanted to mention base-building. I know you haven't used the Trello recently, but watchtowers have been on there for some time, and I honestly hope they never make it into the game. I love games like The Forest, and Rust is allegedly a lot of fun, but that's not what DayZ is for me – having huge eyesores of player-made creations in the middle of meadows would ruin the landscape in my opinion. I think base-building is a great addition, and is important for the idea of DayZ, but having a watchtower in your inventory and plopping it down wherever really doesn't do it for me. The base-building I'd like to see would involve nailing planks together and nailing that in turn to a wall to cover a window or barricade a door. It would involve setting up barbed wire, improvising generators, foraging for materials, and using other scrap-like options. Instead of building a log cabin in an hour of playtime, you could saw some wood and fortify a remote cabin. Generally, the idea would be to rebuild and fortify existing structures instead of crafting your own. This seems to me like an overall more immersive option – the DayZ world, I believe, is meant to appear post-apocalyptic, and I like the idea that even with a large group of people, we'd hardly be able to scrounge materials to build a thriving and protected community.

Again, I'm a big fan of the idea of improvisation in DayZ. I understand these things take time and I don't intend to "demand" anything, of course, but merely for the sake of suggestion and discussion far down the line, I want to mention some things I've been excited about for the future.

• Improvised explosives: we'll have grenades, RPGs, and landmines, but as a player who uses mostly civilian items, how do the common folk rebel? I'd like to be able to use fertilizer and some other ingredients to craft IEDs, ones that are potentially upgradeable – basic IED needs to be shot, set aflame, or hit by an explosion to detonate. Add a watch to make it timed. Add a cell phone / radio to make it remote detonation.

• Traps: I love the idea of guerilla warfare. If I'm one man against a squad of 6, I can't be expected to fight them head-on. I want to attach grenades of all varieties to tripwires. I want to make spike traps, like spears that trigger via tripwire. I want to be able to make doors a trap trigger when opened. Or, I want to have a tripwire that isn't attached to anything, just so I can see if others have been there. Or maybe I hook up some cans / bones / other object to make an alarm.

• Just general improvisation. DayZ is for me holding on by the tips of your fingers to this fragile world, using whatever you can to get by. Scavenging food, crafting makeshift weapons, the base-building, and so on. A good example of this might be scavenging materials and crafting ammo at some kind of reloading bench which might be found in a select few industrial areas.

• Bears. There isn't really any explanation to this one, I just really like bears.

That's most of what I have to say. Thank you for sticking through and reading this. Again, I'm no game developer and defer to your choices and decisions. I really appreciate the work you've all put into the game, and your willingness to stick to the community, though it hasn't always completely stuck with you. You guys do a great job and it'll be worth the wait.

See you in Chenarus,

A player


Edit: formatting

submitted by /u/DayZOpenLetter
[link] [comments]

Bohemia in 2018 Dev Video "DayZ and Enfusion Engine are currently top priority"

Posted: 28 Mar 2018 08:10 AM PDT

i'll just leave this here

Posted: 27 Mar 2018 08:54 AM PDT

Stable servers are down for scheduled maintenance.

Posted: 28 Mar 2018 12:00 AM PDT

Stable servers are down for scheduled maintenance from 07:00 GMT.

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

I still refuse to draw first.

Posted: 27 Mar 2018 12:22 PM PDT

Sure, it's gotten me shot in the face 99% of the time, but I always give the benefit of the doubt.

I do my love wolf play style. Yes, love instead of lone was intentional. I'm not a violent player and can't understand why people go for shooting people in the face for using a microphone and F2 instead of left mouse button. There shouldn't be any satisfaction in killing a nonviolent guy.

I do carry weapons and will use it if I get shot at. But usually I don't get the chance to defend myself. Whatever, I'll keep doing my thing.

submitted by /u/fr33andcl34r
[link] [comments]

Those indoor gunshot sounds!

Posted: 27 Mar 2018 02:01 PM PDT

The master of balance

Posted: 28 Mar 2018 07:00 AM PDT

does anyone know how to change the firing mode on the Blaze 95?

Posted: 28 Mar 2018 06:53 AM PDT

Staroye SlaughterFest [10m15s]

Posted: 28 Mar 2018 04:37 AM PDT

DayZ Xbox One - Emote Radio UI sneak peek

Posted: 27 Mar 2018 01:33 PM PDT

A New Dawn over Novodmitrovsk

Posted: 27 Mar 2018 06:58 PM PDT

0.63 Sound Updates - DayZ Status Report Preview

Posted: 28 Mar 2018 02:39 AM PDT

Help with server list

Posted: 27 Mar 2018 05:29 PM PDT

Hi,

Not played DayZ for a long time and the server list is severely triggering me.

I have a character who's relatively geared and it's on a 'public' server, however when I go into different 'public' servers I get different freshspawn characters.

Can someone advise me on how I can get a character that persists across public servers? Or the best way to spot what servers all share the same character because it's driving me up the wall constatly changing servers to random ones to find my good character and having to wait 170 seconds when logging into a new server just to see the coast again!

submitted by /u/barksyx
[link] [comments]

Headshot! - DayZ Standalone

Posted: 28 Mar 2018 03:59 AM PDT

No checklist update today?

Posted: 27 Mar 2018 11:28 AM PDT

What time is it usually updated?

submitted by /u/OldManPaul
[link] [comments]

Things you need to know for DayZ (new or returning players)

Posted: 27 Mar 2018 06:25 PM PDT

Notice a lot of new/returning player posts so here's all the info you need

Copy pasting:

Here's the the 3 things you NEED to have open on your steam browser as you learn the game!

DayZ Wiki: Will literally answer all your questions about the game. You're gonna need to learn a LOT of shit. For example: making a fire, which ammo matches which gun, cooking, crafting, etc

DayZ Spy- look at the best servers, see which ones are full or high population (or low pop). Also if you ever wanna stalk anybody by name lol

Izurvive DayZ Map: learn your way around the map, navigating through the huge map is key to enjoying the game! You need to know where all the loot is, and the best location to get what you need.

Other things you should know:

Learn the apple glitch, CAN ONLY BE DONE IN 3RD PERSON. This trick will be removed in .63 beta anyways; it's a good way to play the game without dying of hunger! It will help you as a beginner to learn the rest of the game! (I know some people here may have an issue with people doing it, but it's getting removed anyway) (search this on YouTube or ask someone here to explain to do it, i suck at explaining this shhhhhh)

Stone knife is necessary for survival, can be made by searching for stones on the beach or Rocky areas! (Apple trick can be applied to this) a stone knife will help you cut up things you need for crafting

Learn the respawn/suicide trick; so you can respawn to meet friends (YouTube or ask a friend)

If you have to Google or search something make sure you add .62 to your DayZ search so you know it's up to date! We are in .62 the next one is .63 which is Beta

If you don't know anyone, and they swear on their life "they're friendly" don't fall for it! Never turn your back on them, never eat/drink or pick apple in front of them, do not stand still either If you feel you're in danger; you may get shot or sniped

DayZ is a game in Alpha, you will find bugs it's the circle of life here, so rule#1 DON'T GET ATTACHED TO YOUR LOOT. Just don't do it you will rage or be disappointed

Next rule, DayZ Giveth and DayZ Taketh (and vice versa)

submitted by /u/Jay1348
[link] [comments]

Low performance on a i7

Posted: 27 Mar 2018 10:33 AM PDT

When i play i get 30-60 fps on very high on a i7 7700k with a gtx 970 ssc 16 gigs of ram windows 10 home does this sound about right i know its pretty vague but yeah a friend has a similar setup but with a different gpu a gtx 1070 and said he is playing maxed out also and is getting 110 fps does that sound right since apparently bohemia games only use about 20 percent of the gpu

Forgot to mention i recently upgraded my gpu from a gtx 1050 ti to a gtx 970 and didnt uninstall the drivers but it seemed as windows took care of it

submitted by /u/fred_roggers
[link] [comments]

Stress test vs Experimental

Posted: 27 Mar 2018 01:03 PM PDT

So in the status report today, the first point was that there will be a time limmited stress test available. Now my heart sank a little when I heard that because the thing they mentioned in the live stream happening in weeks not months was a stress test. So it could actually be months before we see an actual experimental version of .63

submitted by /u/Plec72
[link] [comments]

Today's SR?

Posted: 27 Mar 2018 12:07 PM PDT

i need itttttt

submitted by /u/Negan_X_Lucille
[link] [comments]

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.